Astoria, Washington

dshimizu

Anything to do at this port?:confused:

Astoria is in Oregon - there are a lot of unique shops downtown. There is a trolley that runs along the coast of Astoria - you can get on and off where ever it stops. The trolley operator gives a narration of points on interest. It is an inexpensive way to get an overview of the area. There is a nice musuem right on the riverfront - with a really nice large gift shop. There are also good restaurants along the river as well as downtown. The Astoria Column is another highlight.

• 2 months later...

Our ship will be stopping there on it's way to Hawaii in September. I did quite a bit of research and booked the tour of Astoria that hits many major points, with the cruise line. However, that leaves us quite a bit of time left afterwards.

However, I can't tell if the trolley will be running on Sept. 17 (it's all volunteer according to the web site) and buses they say they have come to the cruise terminal. Do the locals always have the trolley and buses running on ship days, even in September? Will the "Never on Sunday" market be at the pier on that day as well?

We'd like to get to that Captain Flavel's house museum after our tour and stop somewhere nice to eat lunch (any suggestions on a restaurant?) and do some shopping. I also want to pick up some water and canned soda before we get back on the ship. Is this all possible using the trolley and/or buses, if they are available that day, or will we need a taxi?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...
Our ship will be stopping there on it's way to Hawaii in September. I did quite a bit of research and booked the tour of Astoria that hits many major points, with the cruise line. However, that leaves us quite a bit of time left afterwards.

However, I can't tell if the trolley will be running on Sept. 17 (it's all volunteer according to the web site) and buses they say they have come to the cruise terminal. Do the locals always have the trolley and buses running on ship days, even in September? Will the "Never on Sunday" market be at the pier on that day as well?

We'd like to get to that Captain Flavel's house museum after our tour and stop somewhere nice to eat lunch (any suggestions on a restaurant?) and do some shopping. I also want to pick up some water and canned soda before we get back on the ship. Is this all possible using the trolley and/or buses, if they are available that day, or will we need a taxi?

TIA

There is a Safeway store fairly close to the pier - the Trolley goes right by it so you could get off and buy some things.

• 2 weeks later...

If you had a car, there is a replica for Lewis and Clark's winter camp called Fort Clatsop, a few miles west of Astoria. There is a nice town south on the coast called Seaside with a nice boardwalk and downtown. About 20 miles farther down the coast, Canon Beach has interesting rock formations and a touristy shopping area. I go there on vacations, Astoria nevered seemed to have much to do.

Fort Clatsop is on the tour we are taking through HAL (3.5 hour tour). We are only in port from 10 am until 6, with a 3 plus hour tour I'm not going to rent a car, but I will jump on the trolley after the tour and get some lunch and some supplies for the ship.

If you had a car, there is a replica for Lewis and Clark's winter camp called Fort Clatsop, a few miles west of Astoria. There is a nice town south on the coast called Seaside with a nice boardwalk and downtown. About 20 miles farther down the coast, Canon Beach has interesting rock formations and a touristy shopping area. I go there on vacations, Astoria nevered seemed to have much to do.

In downtown Astoria there are a lot of restaurants to choose from - also there are some right along the river. Several movies have been filmed in Astoria - including parts of Kindergarten Cop and the Goonies - you can see those places if that interests you. The Astoria Column is a great place to go for overlooks - you can climb the 164 steps to the top of the column and have a view of the area. The gift shops sells small airplanes for 70 cents which you can throw off the top the of the column - kind of fun. The Maritime Museum is along the river front - the trolley stops there - it is $8.00 for admission to the museum and well worth it - plus there is a nice gift shop attached to the museum.

astoria is gateway to the spectacular oregon coast. if I stopped there for more than a few hours, I'd rent a car and drive to see Seaside, Cannon Beach, etc. Highway 101 for a couple hours. Sighhhhh ... Oregon's coast is so spectacular, we WA dwellers generally skip our own and go there :) -- TR

Both Canon Beach and Seaside have a lot of speciality shops that are fun to look in. Also at Canon Beach there is Haystack Rock - when the tide goes out you can walk out to it and see the sea life in the tide pools - mussels, star fish, etc.

The column and the museum are part of the tour we are already taking that I booked through HAL. It will take up most of the day (we are only in port from 10 AM until 6 PM) if I include lunch in a nice spot near the water, and getting some supplies at Safeway.

In downtown Astoria there are a lot of restaurants to choose from - also there are some right along the river. Several movies have been filmed in Astoria - including parts of Kindergarten Cop and the Goonies - you can see those places if that interests you. The Astoria Column is a great place to go for overlooks - you can climb the 164 steps to the top of the column and have a view of the area. The gift shops sells small airplanes for 70 cents which you can throw off the top the of the column - kind of fun. The Maritime Museum is along the river front - the trolley stops there - it is $8.00 for admission to the museum and well worth it - plus there is a nice gift shop attached to the museum.

The column and the museum are part of the tour we are already taking that I booked through HAL. It will take up most of the day (we are only in port from 10 AM until 6 PM) if I include lunch in a nice spot near the water, and getting some supplies at Safeway.

Pier 11 restaurant is right on the water front and has good food - also has a sea serpent! The Cannery is also right along the water front. Hope you enjoy your trip!

TIA

Greetings! I'm a vendor at the Never on Sunday Market as well as at the regular Astoria Sunday Market. I just wanted to let you know "yes", the market will be open on September 17. We are always there when the cruise ships dock. Astoria is a nice town to walk the boardwalk and downtown area. Interesting shops, very friendly people, and a relaxing atmosphere. Most cruise passengers are pleased with their Astoria experience.

I heard about the cruisecritic site when a crew member from a ship a couple of years ago posted a nice blurb about our popular products. I just checked in to find the schedule for the Statendam on this journey.

And, to whomever monitors this site: I'm a bit disconcerted to see that Astoria has now migrated north into Washington! It's Astoria, Oregon...not Washington. Please correct.

Archived