Captain of Triumph?

dwjoe

It is true that the captain of a ship is ultimately responsible for the welfare and safety of all passengers and crew however when it came to the decision of what to do with the Triumph Passengers most if not all of the input came from the upper management of Carnival. The same can be said about the decision to keep the ship in service despite the recent propulsion issues. They have to balance the risks vs the loss of income. Unfortunately for Carnival, the gamble didn't pay off. That being said, I will be enjoying my cruise this April on Magic!

I'd be interested in learning if this is pure speculation or based on firsthand knowledge.

From the accounts I have read, it seems no action to control the passengers was taken, it was "free for all", witness that nighmare of extension cords, just so the passengers could text, use I pods, Kindles etc. Any responsible officer should have immediately stopped that life threatening risk of fire.

LOL. You do know that the individual draw of a typical phone charger is pretty miniscule, right? I'm looking at mine, and it draws about 5.4 watts. A standard 110V wall outlet can power up to about 1500 watts (that's what blow-dryers draw). So...doing the math, you could power about 277 phone chargers off one outlet, but factoring in losses through resistance and cabling, you'd probably have to 'limit' yourself to around 150.

Math is a wonderful thing. Why, I've heard that ship's crew-members might study it. Who knew?

• 9 months later...
The amount of information given to the passengers concerning an incident, is decided on the ship. Since the Captain is the top man, even if he did not announce explanations himself, he would have to"sign off" on any statement.

Regardless of the "incident" he would ask for an explanantion and I suspect a signed report from the officer in charge of the department. He would then decide when and how much information would be given to the passengers.

For myself , being "anal retentive" if I had been on board, I would be concerned as to :-

Time fire started, who was in the area, what did they do to control fire, time fire was OUT , action taken to get passengers to areas of safety (i.e muster stations "just in case" when every minute could count).

After danger has passed"-

What action taken to ensure well being of all passengers, including rationing of food (by deck for meals), water, places to sleep, etc.

From the accounts I have read, it seems no action to control the passengers was taken, it was "free for all", witness that nighmare of extension cords, just so the passengers could text, use I pods, Kindles etc. Any responsible officer should have immediately stopped that life threatening risk of fire.

No one was killed or injured, but it would seem that the management staff , both on board and in Miami, did not know what to do or how to do it, just as with Concordia.

I was on the 02/07 cruise. You don't know what you are talking about.

SHUT UP.