Helmet Dive with a 5 year old?

Ilovesummer

Has anyone done the helmet dive with a 5year old?? Thinking about booking the Hartley helmet dive and it says 5 and up. Could you kindly tell me what you think, anyone who has gone or has children that have done it? Thanks

Hi, I have spoken to greg via phone and e-mail. although Ive never cruised or helmet dived before, I have read many things about hartley and all great. And what little Ive talked with him My reccomendation is e-mail him. He responds quickly and may call you personally if you wish. http://www.hartleybermuda.com/

Ihope this helps, I know I cant wait

Two years ago my husband and then 5 year old went on the helmet dive. They do have small wetsuits if the water is chilly. The staff were wonderful and very helpful, but we had not fully prepared our son. As a baby he had tubes in his ear from recurring ear infections. We should have known to discuss, far in advance, and practice, yawning, swallowing, etc. if his ears got stuffy or hurt. He was not nervous about being underwater with the helmet or how he would breathe and seemed to feel safe--just the darn ear problem! My son tried to go down three times, each time he could not handle the ear pressure. The staff worked with him and were great. The "moms" on the boat watched over him as my husband went down for the walk. While on the boat he enjoyed all he saw, fed a few of the fish from the boat, etc.

I just on a Hartley's Helmet Dive on May 30. I did not have children but there was a family with a small boy and girl. I know both were under 10 years old.

Greg Hartley was great with them. Neither was afraid and said they had a good time doing the dive.

As the poster above said I would talk to them about the air pressure and the sound that the air hose makes.

I think a very young child might be scared if not prepared.

If you have had them on airplanes you can explain what the feeling in their ears will feel like and how to fix it. The hose makes a loud bubbling sound which is unexpected.

But after seeing Greg with those children I would not hesitate to take them.

Calm seas,

Caroline

would you reccomend ear plugs to drown (opps, not a good word when talking dive) out the noise?

I'd worry that that might cause more problems with the pressure.

I think if you knew it was going to be noisy then it would not be a problem. It just surprised me that is all. (But if you think about it shouldn't have.)

I think if you talk about the dive before hand and don't act too concerned the children should be fine.

After their ears clear they will be so fasinated with the fish and coral they won't really notice much else.

BTW the pictures on the website are real and it does look just like that.

Calm seas,

Caroline

Archived