Adventure or Mariner?

steve3008

Hey,

I am trying to decide between the adventure and the mariner TA. Both leave on the 21st. Assuming price was the same can I ask which one you would do and why? Thanks for any info,

Steve

I did not know the Adventure was doing a TA. That said both ships are nice, almost the same layout. The Mariner is newer and leaves out of Texas. The Adventure leaves from San Juan. I'd go with the cheeper price, keep in mind the airfare! It's going to be pot luck on how may LGBT will be on each. see if you can check on the boards first.

Having done TAs from both Galveston (Voyager) and San Juan (Adventure) I found the passenger demographic from Galveston to be predominately Texan and from San Juan predominately Puerto Rican/Hispanic and British. The Adventurer had a large loyal following who would do the transatlantic regularly. Previously it went to Malaga but this year it is going to Southampton.

I think both ships are of the Voyager class, which is my favorite, and would expect little difference there. As for choosing, I would consider itinerary first, then cost, hassle, and attraction of the port of departure. The basic question I would ask you is do you prefer to end in Spain or England? I have done 3 TA to or from the Mediterranean and 1 to Copenhagen, and this year I am leaning to going to the north.

Came back to add that gay population was much more apparent and out and about on the Voyager from Galveston than the Adventurer from San Juan. That is just casual observation, and not entirely sure it is accurate, but that's what is seemed to me.

Back again to explain the demographics. The home port of the ship kind of lends flavor to the atmosphere. For example, for the first few days there will be displays of the Puerto Rican and Texas flags on the respective ships, and much whooping and hollering for the home ports, etc. It's not a big deal, but just a slight difference in atmosphere.

Go more with the itinerary that you like. The ships are mostly the same, except for the Balconies. On Adventure, an earlier Voyager-class ship, the balconies are carved out of the side of the ship, i.e., you have an oval opening above the deck level. On Mariner, a later issue, the balconies are completely open to the exterior of the ship; you get plexiglass from the floor to the railing height, open to the ceiling, and open all the way to the sides. Better, in my opinion. Less private, perhaps, as one could lean out and peer around the partition between the balconies.

We did the last T-A on Mariner, Rome (CV) to Galveston. We will not do another Texas-focused/ported cruise. 'Nuff said. Otherwise we had a great cruise and really enjoyed the ship.

We are booked on Adventure OTS out of San Juan. I had posted several times here, trying to find any GLBT people who may be joining us. No responses. However, I have found 8 others so far, through Meet Me On Board who are sailing with us. The main roll call for Adventure is very active. Most of the people are from the UK and Canada. Not one single person from PR is on that roll call......

This will be our first TA, and we are looking forward to checking out all the spa/sauna/jacuzzi features on the ship. Being Aquarians, we gotta get our water on! We think it will be a nice change to be on a cruise that is a lot less "port intensive". Found a killer deal of a flight from Phoenix to San Juan for $194......but that return from Heathrow is a little painful. Didn't stop us though!

We are booked on Adventure OTS out of San Juan. I had posted several times here, trying to find any GLBT people who may be joining us. No responses. However, I have found 8 others so far, through Meet Me On Board who are sailing with us. The main roll call for Adventure is very active. Most of the people are from the UK and Canada. Not one single person from PR is on that roll call......

This will be our first TA, and we are looking forward to checking out all the spa/sauna/jacuzzi features on the ship. Being Aquarians, we gotta get our water on! We think it will be a nice change to be on a cruise that is a lot less "port intensive". Found a killer deal of a flight from Phoenix to San Juan for $194......but that return from Heathrow is a little painful. Didn't stop us though!

Enjoy you cruise. If you have time before or after the cruise, you shoud stop by The Atlantic Beach Hotel. They just updated the place and it looks great. Happy hour daiy 5 tp 9 pm. Good LGBT hangout.

Enjoy you cruise. If you have time before or after the cruise, you shoud stop by The Atlantic Beach Hotel. They just updated the place and it looks great. Happy hour daiy 5 tp 9 pm. Good LGBT hangout.

Thanks for the suggestion. We were going to stay there, but the reviews said only a few of the rooms were redone, so we are about 2 blocks away. We get in at 4pm, so will have time to meet some family members, hopefully!

Thanks for the suggestion. We were going to stay there, but the reviews said only a few of the rooms were redone, so we are about 2 blocks away. We get in at 4pm, so will have time to meet some family members, hopefully!

That,s what we have read also. When we were there in January the bar tender told us all the rooms have been done over. We did not ask to take a look. We stay at the Le Consuat 2 bocks away from The Atantic Beach Hotel for $100 a night. Very nice with a small pool in the back. Please give me a review when you return.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Archived