Casablanca

Thanks Kruzseeka, and these are some more bits of advice I got when I first changed my cruise :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casablanca....we did a trip here to the Hassan III (or II ?) Mosque which is right on the waterfront...it really is a most beautiful building and our guide was very informative and we found it really interesting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Casablanca I was a bit disappointed with as I'd got this rather romantic, exotic idea of what it would be like. Not the case! We did the Thomson trip to the Mosque though which was very interesting and worthwhile (our guide was fantastic). It's not far from the port - you can see it clearly as you sail in but whether it's really doable on foot I'm not sure. We were on a trip so were ok but I have read about hassle here from other posters. I'm sure others will be able to help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldnt even bother getting off in Casablanca its a filthy place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Casablanca we did the trip to Rabat, which was really fantastic! Having been in Tangier the previous day, and docking right next to what looked like a landfill site in Casablanca, I'd kind of decided that I wouldn't be returning to Morocco again, but Rabat was lovely - clearly this is where they spent a lot of money. Beautiful buildings, gardens, really was a nice place and would highly recommend it. Wasn't a bad price either considering it was about an hour away.

Casablanca - walk to the mosque - about 40 minutes - everything else other than a pose outside Ricks Cafe is possibly not worth it

Cheers all.

I too had a romantic view of Casablanca, Bogard and all that:)

I think we will go with Thomson Tour and see the Mosque and gardens.

Not too expensive for Four hour trip.

From what I have looked at the other ports look easy access so will go it alone then.

Thanks again!;)

Hi annie,

My recollection of Casablanca from last year was the port was an industrialised one and the sights were a 30 minute/ish walk.Temps were 45 degrees so a tad on the cosy side for walking.Plenty taxis available and also a wee market of 12/14 stalls set up at dockside by the locals selling their wares

This port was also where a couple of stowaways jumped onboard.An eagle eyed sun bather/passengers witnessed it and informed security who eventually caught them.

Good to hear about the Rabat trip. Were off there in April and wasn't quite sure what to do. We have already booked the Rabat excursion. Having spoken to several people who have been to Casablanca by cruise ship - one person told me 8 ladies went into Casablanca having been warned about security/thefts in the city and 8 of them had their hand bags stolen.

Thanks Kruzseeka, and these are some more bits of advice I got when I first changed my cruise :)

Casablanca....we did a trip here to the Hassan III (or II ?) Mosque which is right on the waterfront...it really is a most beautiful building and our guide was very informative and we found it really interesting.

Casablanca I was a bit disappointed with as I'd got this rather romantic, exotic idea of what it would be like. Not the case! We did the Thomson trip to the Mosque though which was very interesting and worthwhile (our guide was fantastic). It's not far from the port - you can see it clearly as you sail in but whether it's really doable on foot I'm not sure. We were on a trip so were ok but I have read about hassle here from other posters. I'm sure others will be able to help.

I wouldnt even bother getting off in Casablanca its a filthy place.

For Casablanca we did the trip to Rabat, which was really fantastic! Having been in Tangier the previous day, and docking right next to what looked like a landfill site in Casablanca, I'd kind of decided that I wouldn't be returning to Morocco again, but Rabat was lovely - clearly this is where they spent a lot of money. Beautiful buildings, gardens, really was a nice place and would highly recommend it. Wasn't a bad price either considering it was about an hour away.

Casablanca - walk to the mosque - about 40 minutes - everything else other than a pose outside Ricks Cafe is possibly not worth it

Good to hear about the Rabat trip. Were off there in April and wasn't quite sure what to do. We have already booked the Rabat excursion. Having spoken to several people who have been to Casablanca by cruise ship - one person told me 8 ladies went into Casablanca having been warned about security/thefts in the city and 8 of them had their hand bags stolen.
I think that is the one we will do. I'm certainly not wandering round Casablanca :eek: Are you on the Majesty re-positioning cruise then? We are on the Dream (Tenerife to Palma) :)

I did Moorish delights back in Sept.

Casablanca I thought was dissappointing, very smelly.

The mosque is walkable about 30 - 40 mins depending on how fast you walk. The on board map was useless though, you can see the main tower so just head towards it.

We found when we had walked out the port turn right keep following the road to traffic lights turn left and Ricks Cafe was there (Though its not the real one But good for photos). Carry on pass this and the Mosque is at the top.

It is worth seeing though, beautiful building.

Hope that helps.

Well you have all killed that romantic notion of Casablanca;)

I suppose you have to expect theft, being a city and all, so usual precausions apply.

But stow aways!!! Now that puts the romantic view back:D

We on the Dream 26th April, anyone travelling? No replys on role call.:(

Hi Linda

Yes we are on the repositioning of the Majesty and really looking forward to it. We sail the 19th April. Been to some very dodgy places in my travels, but its as well to be reminded about thieves ad other safety issues. You have a great time

Helen

I think that is the one we will do. I'm certainly not wandering round Casablanca :eek: Are you on the Majesty re-positioning cruise then? We are on the Dream (Tenerife to Palma) :)

Archived