A U.S. Family "Immersion" Cruise - Grandeur of the Seas in Suites

The OP also said he was working with a travel agent and not booking with RCI directly. So, I'm not sure how any "misunderstanding" about the cruise is RCI's fault. Seems like that would be on his travel agent.

Not sure why you're rushing to assign blame before OP completes his story?

No, OP's point was that RCI literature did not explicitly warn about the (apparently unpleasant) cultural differences of fellow passengers.

That's not my take, but I'd wait for the OP to clarify.

My question is did the RCI web site provide the disclaimer I've seen for some immersion cruises i.e. "Be advised that this cruise is primarily marketed to South Americans, and activities, entertainment and crew will reflect local tastes" or something similar. Or was this info provided in any other form e.g. to his TA.

But I'm not sure OP is coming back so we may not know.

Edited by dwjoe

My mistake. :o I got the terminology wrong. I meant the concierge - who probably could have helped to organise a suitable acknowledgment of the OP's wife's birthday.

Every time that we book, they specifically ask us if we want to celebrate anything. Not too sure what OP was expecting. I meant no offense on the butler comment- just thought you might be thinking of NCL. OP could have ordered the birthday decorations and such from the pre-cruise planner.

Still would like to see the review!!! Our next cruise encompasses 2 birthdays, I told them this when they asked - will let ya'll know what happens!! That is- if i remember to order the streamers!!!

• 1 year later...

I spent 45 minutes typing this morning to finally complete this with the perspective of now having several cruises on RC in the Royal Suite. I kept saving it to the clipboard but then I had a login error and accidentally erased it. I truly could cry - I responded to a number of the comments. Dang…

I'll try again later. But one I can't pass on. My wife and I have purchased, all at double occupancy, the following since Jan. 2013:

10 Grand or Owners Suites (Grandeur, Jewel, Freedom)

4 Royal Suites (Grandeur, Allure, Jewel, Freedom)

1 Junior Suite (Grandeur)

Royal Caribbean recognizes a persons birthday and tries to make it special. And we do expect service comensurate with the amount of money we spend and our loyalty to RC. And we take good care of the RC employees that take care of us. It has nothing to do with being American. RC would admit it's an error to forget the birthday of someone staying in the Royal Suite. And that happened to be my wife. The Grandeur concierge, our steward, and a waiter at Chops did an admirable job recovering from this failure.

I also went into the behaviors of blocking hallways, failing to yield, butting in lines, and so forth and tried to be thoughtful and objective. They have impacted both our Grandeur and Jewel cruises. Anyone can be rude. But we have witnessed a significant difference in those types of behaviors which does break down along lines of national origin. I'm trying to understand if certain cultures do not perceive these behaviors as "rude"in the way I do - particularly butting. I'm sure this topic has been beat to death elsewhere with accusations of racism and such. I know what I see, I try to be polite in my own behavior, and I know my own heart.

Beyond that I had concluded that I would have regretted not having had the Grandeur experience and if you like Latino music, dance, etc… and particularly if you have some Spanish, you could have a wonderful time on Grandeur.

Hopefully more latter as time permits. Sorry to take so long….

Lama Out