Port Canaveral or Orlando

Jocia

I'm sailing on Oct 29th on the Glory out of Port Canaveral. Can any of you old pros who have sailed out of PC before let me know the pros and cons of staying in either location? I'm coming in Wednesday/Thursday and want to go hang out at Universal Islands of adventure while I'm there.

Dana

I'm sailing on Oct 29th on the Glory out of Port Canaveral. Can any of you old pros who have sailed out of PC before let me know the pros and cons of staying in either location? I'm coming in Wednesday/Thursday and want to go hang out at Universal Islands of adventure while I'm there.

Dana

I'm not a veteran cruiser, but I have lived in east central FL for 40 years.

Your question is difficult to answer because I don't know you. You've already decided to pre-cruise, so you won't (likely) miss the ship in either case. I'm assuming you are either driving here or renting a car upon arrival. Fair?

You can make the port easily from either place. You can make Universal easily from either place. I think the main consideration is that Cape Canaveral is a smaller, almost 'sleepy' community (I don't mean that as a pejorative). Orlando is much more metropolitan, with all that that implies.

There are a few things I might tell you.

Several hotels in Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral will allow you to park there during your cruise, thus saving the cost of port parking. This is important to many people.

Universal operates their parks on double sessions during that time of year. They will close their parks between 5 and 6 PM and reopen them between 6 and 7 PM for Halloween Horror Nights. They typically end the second session between 11 PM and 2 AM, depending on date. I don't know the exact schedule offhand. There is admission required for the second session, but most of the attractions are open as well as the special event activities, and it provides a Universal 'nightlife' option for your dates. They often package special events with hotel stays in their marketing, so it might pay to check their website frequently.

It also pays to be aware of the STS schedule. If a shuttle launch is scheduled for your weekend, your options for a cape stay will begin to rapidly diminish about three weeks out. If you choose to stay there, you should probably book a couple of months early. Other than that, the rates and availability in either place should be pretty good at that time of year. (Greater Orlando has far more hotel rooms than it needs in late October).

Cocoa Beach does have a nice beach, but you'll probably find one or two of those on your cruise. Enjoy your vacation. :)

best,

John

Hard Rock Cafe has a hotel right at Universal. If you want to do the parks there will be no travel required. Then you can just do the short drive Saturday morning. I would stay closer to the parks.

I did some research and decided on the Days Inn Suites Old Town. Strangely, I've actually stayed at this hotel 2 times before, once in 89 with my parents on a family trip and again in 96 when I graduated from HS. I enjoyed the hotel both times, it's all suite, sleeps 6, and I got 2 nights for 111.90.Dana

Hey John (SunSkater).......since you are a Florida native, can I ask you a question?

We are going into Orlando AFTER our cruise out of Cape Canaveral. We don't want to do the DISNEY thing, but we DO want to go to Sea World. We will have our 9 and 13 year old with us. Is there anything else you would recommend around Orlando that is a "must see" but still NOT the Disney World thing??

Hey John (SunSkater).......since you are a Florida native, can I ask you a question?

We are going into Orlando AFTER our cruise out of Cape Canaveral. We don't want to do the DISNEY thing, but we DO want to go to Sea World. We will have our 9 and 13 year old with us. Is there anything else you would recommend around Orlando that is a "must see" but still NOT the Disney World thing??

Hi, ciship.

I just found your post and I don't have a lot of time right now, but I might make a few suggestions.

Discovery Cove (www.discoverycove.com)

You probably already know about this and yes, it is expensive, but it can be an unforgettable experience for everyone in your group and, of course, SeaWorld admission is included. Also, your 9 y/o can participate - something that may not be allowed on Caribbean excursions.

Orlando Science Center (www.osc.org)

What? A science center? With MY kids?? I've lost track of the number of times I've heard that but, out of about ten families I've recommended this, I've yet to hear any complaints. This place is FUN for kids (especially young ones) and adults alike, so don't let any preconceptions throw you off.

Pointe Orlando (www.pointeorlando.com)

Just because I needed a family-friendly shopping/dining/entertainment facility to recommend for nights. I don't personally know about the WonderWorks attraction, but there is supposedly a good magic show there. Marino's is one of my fave restaurants in that part of town.

Kelly Park

This isn't a must-see, but it's cheap and popular with local youngsters. North of Apopka, it is a natural spring and tube run, and very reminiscent of the Florida of my boyhood. I don't know the web address (it would by found via www.myflorida.com, the State's official website), but I include it for you if you're interested in that sort of thing.

I assume you're coming in the summer (kids) so some form of water activity would be essential then. (Hotel pools are fine). If you're planning on visiting any of the theme parks, then the Orlando Flex Ticket is probably a good idea. Full disclosure - I prefer the BEG parks (Busch Entertainment Group), which includes SeaWorld and Busch Gardens, but that's just my preference. I won't burden you with my rant as to why that's the case.

By the way, we did greatly enjoy the luau at SeaWorld, and would recommend it as a dinner theatre option.

You might want to visit www.orlandoinfo.com and request their planning materials. Ask for everything - and they'll send it to you! :) There are lots of discounts to be found there, as well as information on just about all the activities in that area.

Hope this helps.

Best,

John

• 2 months later...

Dana

We are looking to do the same in December. We are going to stay at the Hard Rock because 1) you can walk to Islands of Adventure 2) you get free front of the line passes for each day you stay....that means no waiting in line!! (The passes can also be bought I believe for $40 per person- everyone swears they are worth it!)

Because we are going in a couple of days early we are also going to stay at the Hilton in (on!) Cocoa Beach ...I got our room (2 queen beds) on click travel for $73 a night! (They have free transportation to the port).

Archived