Trans-Atlantic?

PBfromDC

Hi Folks,

My partner and I are considering a Seabourn trans-Atlantic in Spring of 2006 or 2007. We've not been on Seabourn before - Silver Sea regulars - but have been told by friends on past Silver Sea cruises that we should go on Seabourn. We've been wanting to do a trans-Atlantic for a couple of years now and Seabourn's routes/schedules look great to us. We seem to "fit" with the Silver Sea crowd and have had wonderful cruises. Wondering how two mid-40's, professional, well-traveled men will do on Seabourn? Also, a tad concerned about the size of the ships - too small for comfortable trans-Atlantic crossings? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wondering how two mid-40's, professional, well-traveled men will do on Seabourn?

It sounds to me like you'd do well on any luxury cruiseline! :)

I was worried about having size-shock myself, but really I think the Seabourn ship size is perfect. Small enough to be intimate yet large enough not to feel claustrophobic.

Give it a try!! The crossings are quite special in that many of the "repeaters" sail them. :)

Take it from a 40 year old, well traveled man (and younger CruisinMatt) that you will LOVE the Seabourn crossings! Have traveled both ways over the Atlantic, and I believe bldsld says it best, its like summer camp for adults! Fantastic! Joining my fellow Seabournites this November for our 6th crossing on Legend! You wont be sorry!

Host Dan :) :)

Book the Pride March 16th Crossing and join us! Many fun, seasoned Seabourn-ites on our Crossing, as well! Fourth for some, fifth for many of us.

The weather is wonderful.....maybe only a couple of morning of showers. Twelve fun filled, "never a dull moment" days!

If you decide to book our voyage, start shopping for a "PINK OUTFIT" as the gala this year will be, "Tickled Pink!" Everyone will wear either dress down or dress up......we're going to be the decorations! It will be an all ship's party! A cocktail party and dinner. With many surprises!

Please join us!

Martita

PBfromDc,

If you sail on the March T/A with Martita you will have a fabulous time.

Martita, still haven't seen any pictures of the flamingo frock yet. Are you holding out on us?

mcboo:) :) :)

mcboo~~~Of course, you're NOT viewing any "feathered flamigo dress!" The designer, Russell, from Ft. Laud would have a con-nipection fit if anyone saw the gown before the March gala! (I am practicing standing on ONE LEG though!)

I'm working on my Carmen Miranda outfit right now.....I have the wonderful

sequinned/fruit headpiece and my shoes.......just need the perfect wiggle salsa dress! Do you Tango? Carumba!

Matt~~~I expect you to appear at the "Tickled PINK" cocktail Lobby reception

in a 50's PINK prom jacket! Or a stylish PINK Hawaiian shirt would work! If you wore white pants!

(just imagine what the Officer's will be wearing.....I've not mentioned this to them just yet! hahaha They might give up the ship!)

Martita

I may be wrong but I had the feeling the OP was concerned about the size of the ship on a potentially rough Trans-Atlantic cruise?

I have to say it is one of the things that concerns me too. All that way out there in a smaller ship. I am sure there are no safety issues but what about comfort if seas gets rough - aren't we more likely to feel it (and suffer it!)? :eek:

Hi,

This is no guarantee, but I have been on 6 trans-atlantic Seabourn cruises, and have yet to experience rough seas. That said, these cruises have been southern crossings. I have also cruised a northern crossing from Copenhagen to Canada, and experienced rough seas.. Larger ship though..

Host Dan

Our Spring Crossings have been very smooth as the Captain's use the Southern route to Madeira. One year (I think 2002) we had one evening of a bad storm but Captain Rodahl steered us close to the African coast and we were just fine. The Legend was 4 days behind us and they were fine also.

This is not to say that we haven't seen the Crew "batten down the hatches" or tape up the liquor cabinets, but we've not had any real storms.

The Fall Aug./Sept. Pride Crossing from London to New York is a bit rougher.

The Pride and the Legend just sail across........no pun intended.

Other opinions?

M.

Thanks so much for the warm and friendly responses! It sounds like you all have a blast on these crossings. It's on our list - not sure if we'll make the March 2006 crossing as we're doing a South American two-weeker this November. I just hate it when work interferes with our travels! But who knows? The Tickled Pink gala has all sorts of possibilities and should be a fun time.

Martita B. I see from your profile that you're in West Texas. I was stationed at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo a million years ago and really liked the region. Nice people, big open spaces, and the biggest steaks I have ever seen at the local steakhouses! I guess the saying "everything's big in Texas" applies even to the food!

PB~~~I am a Cowgirl/rancher, 42 miles South of San Angelo. One of my good/best friends is the wife of the former Base Commander of Goodfellow Air Force Base. AND my best friend is Betty Zentner that owns "Zentner's Daughter's Steakhouse" in San Angelo......did you ever venture out to the Lowake Steakhouse? That was John Zentner's restaurant.....almost world famous! Even had a landing strip out in back in the pasture! Folks from all over Texas would fly in for John's T-Bone.......it "hung over" the platter! And his onion rings were to "die for!"

Goodfellow is going strong.......I don't think Washington will close the base....we hope not. It's too important right now as it's an intelligence center.

Small world, huh?

Welcome to our Seabourn world! It's small too!

Martita B.

Martita, it is a small world! I never got to Mr. Zentner's place in Lowake, but ate pretty frequently at Zentner's and Zenter's Daughter. I remember my parents came to visit me and we went to Zentner's Daughter for dinner. My mother decided that since there were three of us, we should order the "KC" for 4 - that way there'd be "a little extra" to take home. I tried to tell her that "KC" for 2 would feed 3 no problem, but she insisted. When the waitress brought the Fred Flinstone-sized portions to our table, her eyes just about popped out of her head. We took about 3lbs of steak home that night! We still get a chuckle over this.

I think Goodfellow's safe. The Air Force did the right thing by consolidating the various training missions there and spending lots of $$ building the base up. Haven't been back to San Angelo since the late 80's and am told I wouldn't recognize the base today. Gotta get back there one of these days.

I take it from your post that you've been on a number of Seabourn cruises - and in particular the trans-Atlantics. How do you spend all those glorious days at sea?

Perry

Perry~~~You would not know San Angelo, the "Wool Capitol of the World!" Angelo State University has "grown up" and is now quite a popular University for the Texas kids.

The downtown area of Angelo is really quite the "meetin' place"......wonderful restaurants and chic boutiques. Plus the Riverwalk! You should fly in sometime.

We have American Eagle and the small Continental planes from Houston at Mathis Field. And yes, it's a beautiful part of Texas. "Colorful folks, too!"

As to our magical Seabourn Crossings......there are around a dozen or so of us that Cross each year together on the Pride. We have many parties and I always host a themed gala....one year it was "The Texas Fling Ding"...another year it was "The All Stars Hall of Fame," this past March we all enjoyed our "Royal Affair!" Everybody came as a "Royal"......I attended as "The Royal Princess, from the Kingdom of Texas" I have laughed and said, "well I didn't know there were that many people that wanted to get out of reality!" Actually, it's just alot of fun and phooey......but it gives us all something to look forward to. The past few months I have been super busy making plans for March's "Tickled Pink!" Which should be a scream! It's an all day party, plus the evening cocktail social and the dinner party. I will probably host my "Champagne/Caviar Pajama Morning Social", as well......we all enjoy this get together. We don't invite the Officer's to this "fellowship!!" hahaha I have also planned a few additional surprises during the 12 days.

Do come join us......it's a magical voyage and one that is unforgettable! Grrreat, fun guests! And of course, 6* food, wines, and the best 10* service on the 7 Seas!

Welcome to our board! Post often! And as we say in West Texas, "do come and sit a spell!"

Martita

When you have 9 days at sea like there are on the Legend's transatlantic November of 2006. Are there any speakers or seminars at sea set up for you to attend? We have cruised the transatlantic twice but on much larger ships. Just a little concerned that there won't be too much to do on board while we are crossing the Atlantic. After reading all the posts for awhile there seems to be alot of Seabourn transatlantic experts out there, so if you can give an complete newbie on Seabourn the heads up on what's to do on board, please help.

Thanks so much for any info.

Tracey

Tracey, there were a few speakers on board the Legend crossing in March. Most talks were of a "nautical" nature. One speaker did do a very good presentation one afternoon concerning the possiblities of conspiracy surrounding the death of Princess Diana.

Seabourn offers actvities each day but they are not the caliber or quantity of main-stream lines, which makes sense considering there are only about 200 passengers aboard. Many an afternoon we watched movies and relaxed. :)

Hey PB. I just joined this web site so hope I'm doing this right.. Anyway, I worked for Seabourn for 3 years and sailed many times, the last 2 with my respective partners at the time! 4 years ago my partner and i did st thomas to new orleans on the Pride (after i left the company) and there were about 9 other gay couples on board. I think that was lucky but we had a great time.

10 years ago i did an athens/venice with my then partner and also made some gay friends but not as many. And beyond gay, there's alway fun people on board. I've found that the well healed traveler is very tuned in to the gay community and very accepting, even if a bunch of them are republicans.

So i say enjoy seabourn - but the ships are small and a bumpy atlantic ocean will be bumpier on a small ship. Keep your french balcony door closed.

Regards,

Giotto

(i'm now a luxury travel consultant in san francisco)

Archived