Self-Tour advice

Palehose13

My wife and I are about to leave for our 5th cruise and we are going to some "new to us" ports. I have signed up in the past for cruise line shore excursions, but I'm not really a "tour group" person. On our last cruise, we planned our own days and enjoyed that approach.

I was thinking about renting a scooter in Roatan and was wondering what were some recommended spots. We live in Florida, so going to the beach is something we do often and don't want to do on our vacation (Sounds funny, huh?) We enjoy nature, wildlife (birds!), shopping, and local food.

So...any must sees?

Almost forgot, we are with NCL, so we won't be going into Carnival's port-a-city.

While they rent scooters there, you couldn't pay me to use one there !!! Maybe rent a jeep, but I want a little more between me and the pavement.

While on our last land visit at Christmas we did a dune buggy tour that was really fun. Up into the mountains, into the jungle, mud pits and the beach.

The company we did it with has now combined their buggy tour with a snorkel company so you can do both.......

Gumbalimba was nice but nothing like getting out into the real jungle etc. We did enjoy playing with the monkeys tho :D

Victor Bodden offers private tours of the island, just your group and a driver, and they take you to wherever you want to go, so you set the pace for the tour. Has addons like zip-lining, monkey interaction, snorkeling, beach... Victor has an outstanding reputation. we have never been, but have him book at the end of next month.

I have rented a scooter for a week in Bermuda on the wrong side of the road, and in Cozumel where many recommend against it. I would not ride one in Roatan after riding the local bus that was enough adventure for me. We will be taking a taxi to the beach this time.

Roads were potholed, twisty with lots of hills. Not a place I would feel safe on a scooter.

You can also do a private tour - 2 people @ $40 each with Rony. I think VB is the same... Well worth the money to let them do the driving - and give you a deeper understanding of the island, if that's your want. They'll go wherever you want. I've been to Roatan once, and had a bus ride to a snorkel thing, and also would not venture to drive this island on my own.

Archived