Plymouth, England Port Question

Plymouth is one of the ports on our upcoming Jewel of the Seas cruise. It is a "tender" port. After the tender brings you in to Plymouth, are you ready to walk about town, to the Mayflower site, etc.? Or will it be necessary to get transportation to these sites? We don't have an excursion booked here and thought we may do the town on our own. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sleddogs

On our Royal Princess cruise, we docked at the port, walked around the greens where Drake continued bowling as the Spanish Armada sailed into the harbour, and took a cab into town which wasn't expensive as I recall. There's a museum along the greens too.

The Mayflower dock might disappoint you but the walk around town is very nice. My strongest memory of Plymouth is the scrumptious fish we purchased to take away!

Hi Tania!

We are really looking forward to this cruise. I appreciate your feedback and will do some more research before deciding what to do. We have so many excursions right now on this 12 night cruise, that a relaxing port day with no excursions planned might be a good idea. Just a day to do a bit of exploring on our own.

Thanks again!

Denise "Sleddogs"

I grew up near Plymouth and can say that the countryside around Plymouth is the highlight.

I would of thought that there should be no problem docking in Plymouth as it can accomodate some very large ferries and the occasional aircraft carrier!

The area around the mayflower steps (the barbican) and the seafront (the hoe) are the nicest in the city itself. The national marine aquarium is small but quite good and the fish and chips near the mayflower steps (opposite the glassworks in the old fish market) are really good.

My best tip would be to either get a taxi to take you from the port out to newton ferrers/noss mayo (probably cost about £12 each way) and go to the ship inn for lunch http://www.nossmayo.com/index.htm or to take the 93 bus (double decker) from the Plymouth bus station (not the nicest!) out along the road to Salcombe/Dartmouth for some good countryside sights.

Oxmatt,

Thank you for your reply. We can use all the help we can get! Being from New England, I thought it would be especially nice to see the Mayflower steps where it all began so to speak.

Appreciate the tip about the fish and chips as well. The taxi sounds like our best best and I will definitely check out the link you provided.

Thanks again!

Sleddogs

If you fancy some upmarket seafood (although as previously stated the fish and chips near the Mayflower memorial are superb) I highly recommend Piermasters seafood restaurant (it is also very near to the Mayflower site, go a little way up the narrow street on your right if you have your back to the footbridge and it is a small restaurant on your right)

We had the finest seafood meal we have ever had anywhere at this restaurant during Easter weekend this year.

Nick.

You could take a taxi into town and go to the gin factory and walk back to the ship and take in the sights. It is a long walk, but the sights are great.

Thanks for the suggestion. About how long a walk are we talking about?

A mile or more? We don't mind walking, but not too many miles.

Thanks!

Sleddogs

If you fancy some upmarket seafood (although as previously stated the fish and chips near the Mayflower memorial are superb) I highly recommend Piermasters seafood restaurant (it is also very near to the Mayflower site, go a little way up the narrow street on your right if you have your back to the footbridge and it is a small restaurant on your right)

We had the finest seafood meal we have ever had anywhere at this restaurant during Easter weekend this year.

Nick.

Nick,

We love seafood! Will definitely check out the fish & chips place as well as Piermasters. I'm hoping the waters will be calm enough the day we are there to tender us in. Appreciate your feedback.

Denise & Mark "Sleddogs"

Archived