Carnival Conquest Class Food

SoundsOfSand

I will be traveling on the Conquest in just over 2 weeks. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the onboard food options? Where are your favorite places to eat? I am looking forward to Sur Mer (Fish & Chips) and maybe trying the fried oysters. Has anyone ever had them? What are they comparable to?

Also looking forward to the Churros at the Comedy Brunch. I have had a churro since high school! And Guy's Burgers sounds promising...read a lot of good stuff about Guys.

The deli has also been one of my favorites. I love the Turkey on Country Roll.

There are just so many dining options and not enough meals in a day! haha

I'm thinking about trying to eat fairly light/average at breakfast, average at lunch, and heavy at dinner. With a starter, main, desert, bread, and drink, how can you NOT eat heavy in the main dining room at night?! I can taste the various forms of shrimp and chocolate melting cake now....mmmmmm

I love fried oysters and love that Conquest class ships have them, but what you can get in New Orleans are far superior. And no, not just because I was born and raised in New Orleans :D, but still true. Still, they are oysters, and fried, and quite edible.

Don't get me wrong - I always have them on Conquest class ships - numerous times, well, until our last Conquest cruise where there was so much new food to try and fall in love with, including, yes, Guy's Burger Joint.

Lots of pictures and info from our most recent Carnival Conquest cruise here:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1760811

We were on the Conquest last month, and this was the first cruise where we were disappointed with some (not all!) of the food.

I had the same breakfast every morning and LOVED it: smoked salmon with cream cheese and capers, a croissant with butter and guava jelly, and a fruit plate (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, grape and strawberry) along with tomato juice and coffee. I enjoyed it every morning on our balcony. :)

DH went to the buffet for breakfast and he enjoyed the eggs benedict and easy over eggs.

The buffet for lunch and dinner was basically a disappointment. Not enough variety we thought, and the same potato salad at EVERY lunch and the same baked potatoes at EVERY dinner. Sometimes the desserts seemed lacking, one night it was all just cakes. I rarely found much there that I enjoyed, and we are not hard to please people when it comes to food and as I said this was our first cruise where we felt the food was lacking.

The deli was great, I had a couple great grilled cheese sandwiches from there.

DH enjoyed the fish at Fish 'n Chips. I had been looking forward to the fries, as I loved them on the Glory and Freedom but this time they seemed tough. We only ate there once.

We LOVED Guy's Burgers. DH had several during the week. :) I asked for one without a bun and then loaded it up from the toppings bar.

I ordered room service a couple of times for lunch (Caesar salad along with vegetable sticks and Ranch dressing one time, and another time a BLT along with tuna salad) and enjoyed that.

We had dinner twice in the main dining room and the food there was great, except the lobster was a disappointment this time, tough and chewy and tiny. :(

Food is one of the main things we feel Carnival is cutting back on (along with entertainment). Yes, it's plentiful, but just lacking variety we felt.

We were on the Conquest last month, and this was the first cruise where we were disappointed with some (not all!) of the food.

I had the same breakfast every morning and LOVED it: smoked salmon with cream cheese and capers, a croissant with butter and guava jelly, and a fruit plate (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, grape and strawberry) along with tomato juice and coffee. I enjoyed it every morning on our balcony. :)

DH went to the buffet for breakfast and he enjoyed the eggs benedict and easy over eggs.

The buffet for lunch and dinner was basically a disappointment. Not enough variety we thought, and the same potato salad at EVERY lunch and the same baked potatoes at EVERY dinner. Sometimes the desserts seemed lacking, one night it was all just cakes. I rarely found much there that I enjoyed, and we are not hard to please people when it comes to food and as I said this was our first cruise where we felt the food was lacking.

Food is one of the main things we feel Carnival is cutting back on (along with entertainment). Yes, it's plentiful, but just lacking variety we felt.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this

I will be traveling on the Conquest in just over 2 weeks. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the onboard food options? Where are your favorite places to eat? I am looking forward to Sur Mer (Fish & Chips) and maybe trying the fried oysters. Has anyone ever had them? What are they comparable to?

Also looking forward to the Churros at the Comedy Brunch. I have had a churro since high school! And Guy's Burgers sounds promising...read a lot of good stuff about Guys.

The deli has also been one of my favorites. I love the Turkey on Country Roll.

There are just so many dining options and not enough meals in a day! haha

I'm thinking about trying to eat fairly light/average at breakfast, average at lunch, and heavy at dinner. With a starter, main, desert, bread, and drink, how can you NOT eat heavy in the main dining room at night?! I can taste the various forms of shrimp and chocolate melting cake now....mmmmmm

Sorry but I hate to tell you but do not order the churros before 11 am. I made that mistake and got ice cold left overs. Waiter told we they would not be making fresh ones til lunch time. So good luck.

I disagree with almost all of the above (except my post) :)

With 2.0 there were so many new and delicious food choices that I didn't even have time for one of my old favorites - fried oysters from Fish and Chips (Sur Mer). No cutbacks but lots of additions.

I do recommend the MDR over the buffet and always have.

In the rare case where you get something that isn't right, send it back and keep sending it back until they get it right. Ask to speak with a manager. Do something on the ship It does no good to complain after the fact.

I highly recommend you look at the pictures posted in the link I provided above.

I was on the Conquest in January, and was never disappointed by the food. There were a few items I may not have been crazy about, but there are so many options that it doesn't matter!

I think the main thing to think of is just how picky you are. I can have fun eating an MRE...

The oysters at the Fish & Chip were good. I also am a Louisiana boy, and had no trouble at all woofing them down!

There was only one day that I did not have a Guy's Burger. I think I have an addiction problem with them! LOL

Every night, in the MDR, I was never disappointed. I usually ordered at least 2 main dishes, just to try. Had fun with the Didja menu. Tried it all the time too.

My favorite of all was the Chef's Table!!! The Chef that was on the Conquest in January is a GENIUS!!! He is very modern, and loves food fusion, and he had some stuff that was unbelievable!

Just remember, if you get something that doesn't flip your switch, get something else!

I was on the Liberty in September. the first ship to get Funship 2.0 upgrades. Well, first of all, forget about eating at the buffet, unless it is a taste of the nation you want and the Chocolate Buffet. Once you try the Guy Burger's you won't want anything else for lunch.

Breakfast--perhaps do the brunch one day, but have a breakfast burrito at the Blue Iguana Cantina, or get some fresh cooked eggs or omelet. I did the brunch one morning and it was good, but I don't want to wait until 11am for breakfast and I like bacon too much......

Lunch--GUY BURGER!!!!!! If you want something different have a taco or a burrito at lunch for something different, or something to tide you over until dinner..I had the tacos (they give you two) and they were delicious.....FRESh made tortillas....you can watch them being made....

Dinner-Main Dining Room all the way. Pass on the buffet as much as you can. If you have to do Anytime Dining, do it, but do eat in the dining room, the food and desserts are so much better and you get entertained.

Have a good time!

On my Glory cruise we loved the food served at the Comedy Brunch except for the churros which were terrible. They were rock-solid twigs.

Just a heads-up. Hours for the Fish n' Chips are short/odd. I've tried on both my Liberty and Glory sailings to make it, but always came up too late.

On my Glory cruise we loved the food served at the Comedy Brunch except for the churros which were terrible. They were rock-solid twigs.

Just a heads-up. Hours for the Fish n' Chips are short/odd. I've tried on both my Liberty and Glory sailings to make it, but always came up too late.

Yes, the fish-n-chips and Blue Iguana Cantina have limited hours and close before most PAX come back from ports. Guy's Burgers is open until 6:00pm and the deli is open all day.

The deli was great, I had a couple great grilled cheese sandwiches from there.

DH enjoyed the fish at Fish 'n Chips. I had been looking forward to the fries, as I loved them on the Glory and Freedom but this time they seemed tough. We only ate there once.

We LOVED Guy's Burgers. DH had several during the week. :) I asked for one without a bun and then loaded it up from the toppings bar.

I ordered room service a couple of times for lunch (Caesar salad along with vegetable sticks and Ranch dressing one time, and another time a BLT along with tuna salad) and enjoyed that.

We had dinner twice in the main dining room and the food there was great, except the lobster was a disappointment this time, tough and chewy and tiny. :(

I'm REALLY surprised that you would say you were disappointed and that you think carnival is cutting back on food (being plentiful but lacking variety). I will agree, the buffets have never been very exciting, but for those that like the stuff there, they can have comfort knowing it will be there every day! And for those that want variety, they've got the dining room, comedy brunch, 24 pizza and ice cream, taste of the nations, taste bar, blue iguana cantina, Sur Mer, Deli, Guys Burgers, the Steakhouse, the coffee shop, room service, ect. I think it's more or less in the eyes of the beholder. When you can order a salad, pizza, tacos, burgers, seafood, hotdogs, fancy foods, sandwiches and subs, burritos, chicken, ect...I feel there is something for everyone. You've got so many places, you could probably find one thing that you liked and eat it all week or try a new place each day.

Archived