What is a PVP's job?

kalley79

I booked our cruise for March 10th on Jan 29th. I had not used a PVP before, but since the pricing structure has changed I decided to use one. She seemed very nice and helpful at the time of booking. Today I had a question about changing our booking from an inside room to a balcony and also wanted to link our booking with friends of ours so we would have dinner together. I got through to her with the extension she gave me. When I told her that I had a couple questions about our booking she totally blew me off and said she was on the other line with another customer and that I need to call customer service. Then she seemed annoyed when I asked for the customer service number. I thought the PVP was supposed to handle our arrangements even after booking, like a TA would. Am I wrong in this thought? At least after waiting on hold for 20 min, the person in customer service was helpful and I was able to link our bookings, but found out our sailing is sold out so no balcony for us.

I booked our cruise for March 10th on Jan 29th. I had not used a PVP before, but since the pricing structure has changed I decided to use one. She seemed very nice and helpful at the time of booking. Today I had a question about changing our booking from an inside room to a balcony and also wanted to link our booking with friends of ours so we would have dinner together. I got through to her with the extension she gave me. When I told her that I had a couple questions about our booking she totally blew me off and said she was on the other line with another customer and that I need to call customer service. Then she seemed annoyed when I asked for the customer service number. I thought the PVP was supposed to handle our arrangements even after booking, like a TA would. Am I wrong in this thought? At least after waiting on hold for 20 min, the person in customer service was helpful and I was able to link our bookings, but found out our sailing is sold out so no balcony for us.

She should absolutely take care of you. MY PVP walks me through anything I ask for. She answers my questions and if she can't do something always directs me to who can. I would try a different one next time because they should always be willing to help you. I'm on cruise 13 with the same PVP.

No, you're not wrong. The things you listed fall within the duties of a PVP. Sounds like you've got a bad one. And there's absolutely no reason she should ever sound annoyed by your questions or requests. That is totally unacceptable.:mad: Maybe you can ask to talk to a supervisor and get your reservation switched to a new PVP. A good PVP is worth having and they are out there.;)

I am interested in booking with a PVP for Legend Dec. 2013. Do you get a better deal than internet bookings? Also, are you allowed to recommend one on this thread? Thanks for your help!

I am interested in booking with a PVP for Legend Dec. 2013. Do you get a better deal than internet bookings? Also, are you allowed to recommend one on this thread? Thanks for your help!

Sorry, it's against CC rules to mention PVP names. No, they can't give you better deals than what you can book yourself on the internet.

I've used the same PVP for the past 3 cruises. She knows me by name when I call and is always happy to answer any question, help me change rooms or get credit for a price drop. She is awesome!!!

Even though you can do it yourself online. I use the same pvp everytime he is very helpful and is always happy I called. I am in customer service and I try to always use a human instead of a website it costs very little for a company to keep a website up and running I want to keep real people like myself gainfully employed so our dollars fuel the economy :D

If the PVP was on another line she should have let you know that she was helping someone else but she would be happy to call you back and help you when she was done.

I would definitely get a new PVP. Call and ask to speak with a supervisor and tell them what happened and ask them to remove your bookings from that PVP to another one. Because that was unacceptable.

My PVP will call me back if she is busy. She has always went over and above to help me when I needed it.

It has been my experience that PVP's are only interested in helping you if you are making a new booking. I'm on my 3rd PVP now and still haven't found one that really cares about my business. It's a shame too. Look at my sig. I book a lot of cruises. At least my current one doesn't keep trying to sell me the trip insurance all the time like the last one did.

Like everything there are good PVP's and bad ones. I went through a few TAs and PVP's before my current one. He has booked I think my lasted 5 cruises. I'll keep him as its so easy to call him up and just give him my cc and have him do all the details. Like this time he even picked out the cabin for me.

Also he answers my questions and can always get ahold of him. Or at least leave a message and can always count of him calling back.

I got so annoyed with the one "assigned" to me, I just booked everything myself online. She would call every time I logged into the Carnival website (and I'm a lurker on their forum so it was VERY frequent). I would tell her over and over we werent ready to book yet and even gave her time frames of when we would be financially ready. I know they're supposed to try to sell stuff but it got down right annoying!

So if the pricing is the same, what is the advantage of booking with a PVP vs doing it yourself online? Or is it more of a personal preference thing?

It is a personal preference thing. For me, it's about the customer service and the fact that I'm interacting with a human being. Also, I like that after all these years, my PVP knows my booking style and works well with it.

When shopping for a cruise, I take awhile. I get on Carnival's website a lot over several days or weeks, comparing options and checking prices. She never calls me when she sees that activity. She knows I'll call her if I have a question or when I am ready to book.

When I do call her to book, I know what sailing date, what ship, what cabin number, and what dining time I want. And what it's going to cost. She plugs it all in and lets me know if she sees a better price for me.

She's there if I need her for any questions or requests, but I am pretty low-maintenance. And she doesn't pressure me or harrass me, ever. She calls right before every sailing to wish me "Bon Voyage" and see if I have any last-minute questions. And she calls within a couple days of me getting home, to check on how my cruise was. Simple customer service that means a lot to me.

But, as I said (and you guessed correctly), it's a personal preference thing. All the things a PVP does may not be important or even desirable to some.

OP should turn the tables on the PVP by looking at Carnival cruises and doing mock bookings while logged in. This will trigger a phone call from the PVP.

At this time would be an opportune time to remind the PVP of the lack of service.

OP should turn the tables on the PVP by looking at Carnival cruises and doing mock bookings while logged in. This will trigger a phone call from the PVP.

At this time would be an opportune time to remind the PVP of the lack of service.

A salesperson who doesnt offer service to their customers should be in another business. As a result would find a pvp that wants my business and will offer the service I expect.

I was going to use one my first cruise but of course I had a lot of questions and he became very impatient and rude with me so I just booked it online myself. He just kept pushing me to hurry up and book even though I had told him I was for sure going to book just had questions about the ports and types of rooms before I booked. This time I called one and he was amazing! Couldn't get my excursions to book right so I called him back and he took care of it in no time! As long as he is working there I will definitely use him!!!

Definitely find a new PVP. As has been said, they ARE to act as your travel agent while on the cruise. If you have questions about the cruise, want to cancel, want to change, upgrade, add insurance, set your time for dinner, link dinner reservations, ask who does whatever, they are to be there for you.

A good PVP will all but hold your hand (and some might even do that!) as you book and prepare to take your cruise, as they know that a happy guest is a REPEAT guest, and a repeat guest means repeat commissions. Mine is fantastic, and I know that no matter how silly the question or otherwise, I can always depend upon her to handle it for me.

Find another PVP who will appreciate your business.

Archived