Viking Tulips and Windmills optional tours

id est

Which optional tour would you recommend?

1. Tour of Delft

2. North Holland Tour out of Hoorn

3. Arnhem Battlefield Tour (airborne museum in Oosterbeek)

4. Kroller-Muller museum.

Please advice.

You will receive a booklet from Viking about 3 weeks before your cruise and you can read about the optional tours in there. I received mine this week.

]I did #1 and #4.

Obviously it depends on your personal interests but I wanted to see how the Delft was made (you see an artisan actually working on the casting part and the painting part plus you see a product in several stages of finishing...interesting).

At Delft they also explained the letters and numbers on the bottom of each piece which mark the year and the 'artist' who did each piece. Again, I found it interesting so that IF you were to ever buy a 'used' piece, you could easily spot if it was real or fake by the system of lettering on the bottom. They will ship anywhere in the world in case you want to buy something. They also have a discount table of 'last years' pieces which was fine by me. I bought a small plate about 5 inches across for $26 and I was happy with that. If you go to Delft, make sure you visit the restrooms and look down into the toilet bowl....it has Delft paintings in it!

I like Kroeller Mueller as it has on display my favourite Van Gogh painting 'Cafe Le Nuit' (I have an Ikea knock off in my kitchen) as I have been to Arles, France and been to the cafe so it has double sentimental meaning to me. A small museum but with some very interesting pieces. A large garden area with odd sculptures as well.

IMG_2431.jpg.b1614b54a384dc17c4202624f0165cb6.jpg

We loved the tour to Delft. We had a very informative walking tour and then thoroughly enjoyed the Delft " factory" tour. The town of Delft is so charming, with its lovely town square and shops, restaurants and other sights.

We loved the tour to Delft. We had a very informative walking tour and then thoroughly enjoyed the Delft " factory" tour. The town of Delft is so charming, with its lovely town square and shops, restaurants and other sights.

I agree with this. I very much enjoyed our trip to Delft, purchased a small item from the shop. After the factory tour my husband and I split from the group and walked around by ourselves. Had enough "touring" by that point. Found a very nice cheese and chocolate shop and purchased a bunch of chocolates to bring home. There is also a very large wine shop in town.

Archived