Early saver OBC / Travel agent COMMISSION?

vinman13

So I have put in for several price drops and have received $647.00 OBC Great for me.

My question is I booked through a travel agent and Carnival says the she owes them $91 back to Carnival for her commission. This does not seem right that she sold the cruise at the higher price and now Carnival drops the price because they are not selling cabins and she has to give money back to Carnival. The agent has to do more work submitting the price reduction form and then loses money on her commission this does not seem fair. Is this a common practice that agents have to pay back their commission? I can not print my cruise documents until she pays the $91 it says the cruise is not paid in full. Any thoughts?

The travel agents commission is based on the cost of your cruise. When you’re cost drops – the travel agents commission also drops. That is the reason many agents won’t make ES bookings or charge a fee for filling out the form. As you said they do more work for less money. There are also agents that recognize the value of a happy customer that books again and again with them.

I am confused though that your account is showing a balance owed because, I thought, travel agents didn’t get paid until AFTER your cruise.

I am confused though that your account is showing a balance owed because, I thought, travel agents didn’t get paid until AFTER your cruise.

The TA can choose to pay only the net rate to the cruiseline and keep the commission prior to sailing.

So, if the price drops and the drop is approved for OBC, the TA needs to pay back the commission difference on the new fare.

The TA can choose to pay only the net rate to the cruiseline and keep the commission prior to sailing.

So, if the price drops and the drop is approved for OBC, the TA needs to pay back the commission difference on the new fare.

I always wondered about that. Curious though how that works as everytime I make a payment through a TA my credit card statement shows the charges from the cruise line and not the TA.

Yes TA loses money for each price drop so not in their best to tell you about price drop but good ones will handle it for you.

Our old TA would rebate part of her commission as obc.

As price of cruise fell her commission fell and the amount of the obc would decrease. Only fair so I didnt have a problem with that.

I always wondered about that. Curious though how that works as everytime I make a payment through a TA my credit card statement shows the charges from the cruise line and not the TA.

Not sure what your TA does, but some pay the full payment to Carnival and then get a check with the commission.

Some apply their commission to another booking, so maybe that's where your credit card dollars go.

Archived