Help with Day Sail Choices

vav

Hello everyone,

We are cruising into St. Thomas on Sept 21st 2004. Unfortunately it seems a lot of the day charter boats are "hauled up" at that time either due to maintenance or hurricane season.

I have tried the following with no luck:

Winifred

Ike Witt

Alaunt

High Pockets

Are there any other day charters I can try? Please let me know the reputation of your suggestion and price if known.

Cheers!

I won't be sailing until July but I just booked a day sail on the Fantasy (www.daysailfantasy). Another popular boat, not on your list, is Jester (www.sailjester.com).

I hope these help.

Tim

Canton, Michigan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;7;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Until the Carnival Paradise Sails

Carnival Paradise July 2004

Vision of the Seas March 2004

Carnival Triumph June 2003

Brilliance of the Seas December 2002

Maasdam December 2001

Carnival Spirit May 2001

Sovereign of the Seas March 1998

[This message was edited by michcruisers on 04-14-04 at 11:49 PM.]

• 2 weeks later...

Toronto, thanks for the link to

www.interlinesail.com

we have now booked with them for a 1/2 day sail/snorkle, which is exactly what we wanted.

Will give you a review when we return, but again,thanks for your help. Interlinesail told us they will soon have their links on

www.*****. That's another great website for info on the Virgin Islands.

Our cruise is still months away, but I can't wait! Am ready to trade the curling for the furling!

Hey Luv 2 Curl - how about those Canadian Curlers?? 3 out of 4 are World Champions. Being from Newfoundland I would have to say that the East Coast "rocks"!

We are booked on the Jester Day Sail as they were one of 2 companies that were available in September. I have heard good things and will post a review upon my return.

Cheers,

Andrew

PS: 20 cms of snow fell here today - and I thought winter was over icon_frown.gif

We booked with the winfred for next month-- have heard nothing but great things about the boat and the captian- sharon.

Majesty of the Seas~ 6/96

Ecstasy~ 11/99

Galaxy~ 12/99

Voyager of the Seas~ 5/18/03

Explorer of the Seas~ 5/16/04

What about Treazzure, I hear very good things about Capt'n Hollywood Jim and his boat from this board? But whenever a question like this pops up nobody recommends him, I just wonder why is all. Contemplating a day sail in St Thomas myself in the fall and hear his sail boat is quite a bit larger than Jesters, any info?

I posted a recomemmendation earlier for a daysail which came to me via word of mouth. Since then, I have done some research on the daysails in the St Thomas area (other boards), but so far have not spoken to anyone who has sailed on Treazzure. I looked them up on the web, just to compare boats, trip offers and prices. While Treazzure is a larger boat, they did not have any prices posted on their website, so not easy to compare with other daysail offerings, but I tried. Am sure this is a good daysail offering, but you just don't hear much about them.

Bigger is not always better, nor is the least expensive boat always the best either. Prices for a daysail seem to run $110-120 per person, all inclusive. You just have to do some research and then decide which is best for you. Here's what I've found so far, if you care to use the info:

www.sailingvirginislands.com

Above site is how I finally found "Treazzure"- Their website is not easily found! And once you find it, info is sparse; no prices on site.

I did see that she is a 60 foot classic beauty, but not enough info to compare for daysail pricing. 6 pax max.

www.sailjester.com

Great website;lots of info and a fun site. Lots of chatter on boards/other sites about them; they appear popular. 6 pax max

Prices are on their website!

www.interlinesail.com

Offers 2 different boats- both boats newer than most- Catalina 36 and 42, with 2 USCG Captains. 6 pax max, but can do both boats at once for larger groups. Have found they do most of business with Airline personell (owner is retired AA employee). Good reviews. Prices are on the website.

www.newhorizons.com Large sailboat, 64foot older ketch. Can take large groups; have read good reviews on them. Prices on the website.

www.daysailfantasy.com Again, a good website, but no daysail prices on the website, although word of mouth is they offer a first-rate trip.

www.alauntcharters.com Pretty boat- 1968 Gallant 53ft beauty. Good info on website, but no prices on website.

www.daysailfantasy.com

Good website, but no prices! Lots of great pictures and tons of info, though.

www.sailwinifred.com

43fott Classic wooden yacht; good reviews everywhere, but no prices on their website

Am sure there are many other offerings, but so far these are the ones I've compared.

My 2 cents worth. The atmosphere could be a little different on the different boats. I thought Jester sounded a little more like a party. I personally wouldn't do New Horizons unless I had to. We saw them while we sailed the Alaunt and there were "alot" of people on the boat. Six-packs have a more intimate feel. We liked Alaunt. Very laid back--felt like Ron and Carol's guests for the day. I think prices are very similiar--just contact for info.

Jester takes a max of 6 people. Most of those type of sails only take 6, as you will see in your research. You make the day your own. If you want to sail all day, fine. Want to snorkel all day, fine. You get the idea. The food was excellent, even my very picky son loved it!

Missyal

• 2 months later...

We just did a catamaran with daydreamers/coconuts out of the renaissance hotel. The catamaran was only 2 years old and beautiful. They had an excellent lunch and we went to honeymoon bay and hawknest beach. They were very well priced, much more reasonable than the daysail we did with fantasy in the past.

Tracey

Archived