Any advice given these circumstances?

needabreakcanada

Actually you can request a report as to when your points are due to expire.

We requested but the report only states that in the "given" year that no points are about to expire.

They don't seem to give a report where you can see exactly when and how many points expire.

I'm one that has actually had great luck using my Aeroplan miles booking through the Aeroplan website but the trick for me has always been to use a US airport as my departure point to avoid the hideous Canadian taxes and, to avoid Air Canada. Luckily, I live 45 mins and one international border away from Detroit. Case in point; two of us are sailing on an NCL repo in Sept leaving from Vancouver and ending in LA. Got round trip (one short stop each way) flights on United DTW to YVR, LAX to DTW for a total of 50,000 miles and $67.20 Cdn. Comparatively, using A/C, would have given us an overnight layover, two stops and more than $300 in taxes. I've also flown us to Florida several times for $26 plus miles with really decent flights.

I understand that your situation is different because it's San Juan but I don't recall if you said you checked Aeroplan for flights out of Buffalo or if you were just checking prices to buy flights. Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience for the sake of information.

Btw I've worked for Scotiabank for about a year now after working for the dreaded other bank that supports Aeroplan for quite some time. I have to say the scotia rewards program and travel concierge service is definitely superior but oddly, haven't switched my card over yet mostly because I've had such great luck with Aeroplan :D.

ALERT!!

I am not 100% certain (not being involved with Aeroplan), but at one time recently, Aeroplan had a absolute 7 year expiration on points. Seven years after earning, the points died. Took a flight on May 1, 2006, those points die on May 1, 2013. This was in addition to any "recent activity" that was needed to keep things "alive".

I would be sure to check the Aeroplan terms and conditions - I wouldn't want you to think that a fill-up would be enough and then find out that they all went "poof" without you using them.

Thanks for the info! We have only been collecting Aeroplan points for about 3 years, so not close to the expiration, but definitely something to remember!

Over the years we have flown out of Buffalo more than Toronto and we live 10 minutes from the airport - so I hear you about the taxes.

Our dates we needed on aeroplan were Feb 8 - 16. Can get out from both TO and BUF on the 8th but know way back on the 16th without an overnight somewhere. The return dates stop at 15th and continue again at 19th.

Thanks for thinking of it though!

Over the years we have flown out of Buffalo more than Toronto and we live 10 minutes from the airport - so I hear you about the taxes.

Our dates we needed on aeroplan were Feb 8 - 16. Can get out from both TO and BUF on the 8th but know way back on the 16th without an overnight somewhere. The return dates stop at 15th and continue again at 19th.

Thanks for thinking of it though!

:)no worries. I figured you had but just in case.

Archived