GAPearl's Second Valor Review- Solo Southern Caribbean Cruise! (2/24/13)

gapearl

5c035498-6740-4b2d-b1e6-0e3517e9c348_zps4b6a8049.jpg

I had the mango cream soup, southern fried chicken from the every day menu, and the last wcmc I'll get to have for 7 months.

7946fc7e-84b2-4e27-89f0-105bb53adb29_zps20a7464d.jpg

1ff84e2a-b91f-451e-9ce5-38eba3214df5_zpsace4ed2a.jpg

eb10d027-874a-4196-a0d0-82e4bb509fa8_zps805020bf.jpg

c3001b8b-0c39-4980-b7a3-e28681800f03_zps42f85914.jpg

After dinner, it was the usual comedy shows and dancing until they shut One Small Step down at 2:30 am. That was the earliest we shut it down all cruise.

1b075a50-f0e3-4fac-9bee-1467c42f37b1_zps2e0208d9.jpg

Next installment: They kicked me off the ship!

But don't worry, there's still much more to come!

Girl, give me that skirt!!!!!! Ooh...I'm now going to look into going over to Anguilla. Thanks for sharing that information!

We were originally thinking Pinel Island and were there on our honeymoon years ago, but there is no excursion listed with Carnival to go there anymore. It was beautiful but I only had a film camera then and would love more pictures. It's a little far and not something we'd like to try on our own. Thank you again for taking the time for your review - I'm really enjoying it and getting more and more excited each day.

Pinel is beautiful. I can give you the number to a driver who would do it for you.

Guess where I am right now? Estoy en Puerto Riiiiiiiiiiiico!

Guess what I bought for $13.90 tonight? Diez Gasolinas! :D

a14a2390-09a7-43ca-94de-9a3fb1123aaf_zps61845ddd.jpg

Well it's down to nueve now and might be ocho by the end of the night. LOL

Guess who I might be hanging with tomorrow afternoon? Oscar!!! :D

I really need to go buy a lottery ticket!

I was in Old San Juan for dinner and got a few pictures of the Valor. Man, I sure was sad I wasn't sailing on her tonight, but I knew there were tons of happy people onboard ready to start their adventure. I couldn't help but smile at all the awesome memories I made 3 weeks ago.

dbbb4836-b16b-45fa-90ee-6d67ab3dbf74_zpsc4b09066.jpg

d34bf363-589f-4a54-9441-99ff28023128_zps52e9f53c.jpg

What a beauty!

884a443a-89af-46b8-bba3-f57d2bce322a_zps0b0dafa7.jpg

That's Saba. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saba

After reading your review... I sooooooooo wanna cruise with you !...

Thanks for the info! LOL yeah I'm TONS of fun. :p

Kim girl I always love all your outfits & in fact, justify my overpacking based on your gorgeous photos....but this one right here is HOT!!!

TeeTee

Yes honey, pack as much as you can! Thanks for the compliment!

OMG! These pictures brought me to tears!! It's a life long dream of mine to mingle with the turtles. I have the same cruise booked for 2014...lord help me get thru these next 406 days!!! I would appreciate any tips on how to have the same turtle experience.

Thank you for the many hours that you have donated towards making this awesome review!!!

Gina

It was a blast! The best thing I can say is to get in the water, relax, and don't swim after them. Let the turtles come to you and just enjoy the moment. I only saw about 3, but man they were magical. :) 406 days girl good luck with that countdown clock! :eek: And thanks for the appreciation. I've been neglecting all kinds of other every day things trying to get this finished. These reviews take soooooo much time to put together.

This gets me so excited I can't stand it! My friend and I are going on this sailing sept 1. Did you kinda just do the stuff on the islands on your own? Or did you do any through the ship? I find it quite a bit less to do your own thing. Everything you did looks amazing

I did everything on my own. I rarely book anything through the ship. The ship's excursions tend to be overcrowded and twice as expensive. I booked the two tours through the owners directly, and took taxis to the beach the other times. I'm glad you enjoyed!

Edited by gapearl

I dont know how you were able to do activities after St Lucia. I would be in a full body cast for the remainder of the cruise!

Did you prebook the taxi to Maho Beach, or are there plenty at the pier? My family of 6 want to go and what Im seeing online is $25pp / round trip. Your $16 sounds better! It would save me $54 that I could use towards chairs at the beach!

I was a little sore, but felt pretty good. I'm sure the rum punches had something to do with that. ;) There are PLENTY of taxis at the pier. No need to prebook. I think the taxis hold 8-10 people, so you might be in there with others. Save your $54 for drinks so you don't have to take your top off to get a free one if you run out of money! :eek:

Thanks so much for your review. You are a very talented writer. We are on this cruise a week from today and can't wait! Looks like you had a blast.

Thank you so much! Have an incredible time on your cruise!!!!! :D

That dress and those shoes rock! Thank you for your review. We leave for Puerto Rico in 5 days (not that I'm counting...:rolleyes:) for our Valor cruise.

Thank you!!! Have an awesome time in 5 days!!!!!

Quote: "I'm glad you've been enjoying this looooooong review! What do you have planned for your day and a half in San Juan? No, I didn't make it to any of the trivia. I do remember passing trivia a few times down the promenade. I'm not sure if they still have the blowfish cup. I do remember seeing the whale tail cup, but that's the only one I remember. I'm about to start on St. Maarten in the next little while. I went to Maho Beach and spent a great day there."

Really enjoying it and I prefer the looooog reviews. I love the details and I have gotten several ideas from your review. In San Juan, we're staying at the Courtyard by Marriott on the beach, right near the airport. We are just going to kick back and enjoy the afternoon/early evening on the beach. The next day we'll head to the ship and unload our stuff as soon as we can get into our room and we plan to go to the forts. I loved you pictures and I know what area NOT to go into. We'd love to enjoy more of Old San Juan as well. Last time there (May 2010) we did the zip-line excursion so we didn't have much time to wander around the town. I just finished reading the St. Maarten part of your review and I think that's what we're going to to - Maho. We live under the landing pattern of a major airport and see planes every day, but watching them come in that low, over the beach...I just have to see that. We were originally thinking Pinel Island and were there on our honeymoon years ago, but there is no excursion listed with Carnival to go there anymore. It was beautiful but I only had a film camera then and would love more pictures. It's a little far and not something we'd like to try on our own. Thank you again for taking the time for your review - I'm really enjoying it and getting more and more excited each day.

Maho Beach was great. You'd think I would want to stay as far away from airplanes as I could on vacation, but it was great. You just don't see that anywhere else every day. In between the big jets landing, take a dip in the ocean. The water felt GREAT. Make sure you grab a Gasolina drink or two. :)

Loved your review. The information and pictures were great. We're on the Valor in May and this is our first time with these ports. Can't wait for our cruise. Thanks again.

You're going to have a fabulous time. May will be here before you know it! :D

We'll be on the same cruise! :) That's why I LOVE this review - so helpful for ideas.

Thanks again. :)

I loved reading your review. It's very informative yet amusing. I have a "the birds" type picture from St Marks Square in Italy that is very similar to yours with my hands up and everything. Very funny!

Glad you enjoyed! Those pigeons were just too much! :eek:

Can we be friends, or is that too creepy? Lol.

LOL email me at gapearlcruiser@yahoo.com. I'll Facebook ya as long as you're not a stalker.

Great review, did this cruise myself afew years ago it also included a stop in Dominicia then was the best cruise I've been on. Glad to see you doing that solo thing, I've done that a couple of times myself and love it.

I wish the Dominica stop was still a part of this itinerary! I love solo travel. It's the best. Thanks for reading! :)

Going on the Valor for my first ever solo cruise on March 31. I will run up Gros Piton if Oprah or anyone else is waiting there to give me a free car.

Have a great time! I sure do hope you enjoy your first solo cruise. My first one wasn't great, but I gave it another try and that's all I ever want to do now. :) Let me know if you spot Oprah up there so I can book it again. :p

GAPearl.... I have a question about currency... were you able to use US dollars in all the islands?

Yes indeed. US dollars are accepted at all the islands with no problem.

Girl' date=' give me that skirt!!!!!! Ooh...I'm now going to look into going over to Anguilla. Thanks for sharing that information![/quote']

Express! My favorite store! I've been intrigued about Anguilla since RHOA went there last year. LOL :o

Pinel is beautiful. I can give you the number to a driver who would do it for you.

I must Google this place!

Great detailed review and pics!!! I will be on the same itinerary in Oct, and I can't wait. I love all your outfits there were really nice. I would love to do a solo cruise one day. Seeing how much fun you had, I know I will be ok.

Guess where I am right now? Estoy en Puerto Riiiiiiiiiiiico!

Well it's down to nueve now and might be ocho by the end of the night. LOL

Guess who I might be hanging with tomorrow afternoon? Oscar!!! :D

I really need to go buy a lottery ticket!

I was in Old San Juan for dinner and got a few pictures of the Valor. Man, I sure was sad I wasn't sailing on her tonight, but I knew there were tons of happy people onboard ready to start their adventure. I couldn't help but smile at all the awesome memories I made 3 weeks ago.

dbbb4836-b16b-45fa-90ee-6d67ab3dbf74_zpsc4b09066.jpg

d34bf363-589f-4a54-9441-99ff28023128_zps52e9f53c.jpg

What a beauty!

884a443a-89af-46b8-bba3-f57d2bce322a_zps0b0dafa7.jpg

Wow, you can almost touch the ship. What hotel are you staying at?

On St. Lucia, Barbados and St. Maarten there are public busses that you can take for $1 or $2 US dollars each way. It is really quite fun to mix with the locals and save dollars to boot. We also take a cooler with us and fill with ice and beer to take to the beach. Very economical. I will buy Miami Vice while my husband drinks his beer.

Leo's Rule - that would be great. Were there on honeymoon in 1992, LONG TIME ago, but I remember it being very beautiful and would love to get back. Sorry gapearl, not trying to hi-jack your thread. I loved the pictures of the planes in Maho too, so I've love to be able to do both. :)

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I was finally able to sit down and read your fantastic review because apparently the block they have on pictures is allowing me to see them today so HOORAY for tricking the I.T. gods today!

Love ALL of your dresses and everytime I go to Ross and look through dresses I ask myself "would Kim wear this?".

Now you have me wanting to find some sassy black heels for my October cruise. Thanks a lot! NO....really...THANK YOU!!!:p

"I enjoy cruising and traveling solo. You do what you want, when you want. I’m a very social person and have no problem meeting new people, so I’m never really by myself all the time. I would have no problem finding a friend to tag along if I wanted one. Actually a few friends usually try to invite themselves when I tell them of my plans. “Want some company?” NO. “Can I go too?” NO. I know the concept of solo travel is foreign to many. I often get the “Oh my God you’re here by YOURSELF??!!! You’re CRAZY!!!!!” If you happen to meet a solo cruiser, please don’t say something like this. Many solo cruisers will tell you it’s our favorite way to travel. On the flip side, some solo cruisers might be by themselves because maybe a spouse just died, and that reaction will only make them feel bad. A better response would be “You’re here by yourself? That’s AWESOME!”

Georgia Pearl, i travel solo and 100% agree with everthing you have said here!

OMG.....I couldn't agree more!! My friends ask me if they can go....not just NO but H*** NO!! I love doing what I want when I want. Even the hubby has learned to quit asking!! LOL. He golfs, I cruise.

Great detailed review and pics!!! I will be on the same itinerary in Oct, and I can't wait. I love all your outfits there were really nice. I would love to do a solo cruise one day. Seeing how much fun you had, I know I will be ok.

Thanks a lot! You will definitely be ok booking a solo cruise. Hopefully you'll get to do it one day. Have fun on your cruise!

I just need your skirt. They don't have any more. I'll let you keep it if you spill the beans about what happened at the comedy show? :D

Nope. Never telling. :cool:

Wow' date=' you can almost touch the ship. What hotel are you staying at?[/quote']

Actually I took that not far from the Capitol building.

On St. Lucia, Barbados and St. Maarten there are public busses that you can take for $1 or $2 US dollars each way. It is really quite fun to mix with the locals and save dollars to boot. We also take a cooler with us and fill with ice and beer to take to the beach. Very economical. I will buy Miami Vice while my husband drinks his beer.

I've thought about taking the local buses. Maybe I'll give it a try one day just for the heck of it. :)

Leo's Rule - that would be great. Were there on honeymoon in 1992, LONG TIME ago, but I remember it being very beautiful and would love to get back. Sorry gapearl, not trying to hi-jack your thread. I loved the pictures of the planes in Maho too, so I've love to be able to do both. :)

No worries. That's what it's all for- getting answers. :)

I was finally able to sit down and read your fantastic review because apparently the block they have on pictures is allowing me to see them today so HOORAY for tricking the I.T. gods today!

Love ALL of your dresses and everytime I go to Ross and look through dresses I ask myself "would Kim wear this?".

Now you have me wanting to find some sassy black heels for my October cruise. Thanks a lot! NO....really...THANK YOU!!!:p

YAY!!!! Glad you finally made it here! :D

That's so funny you think of me at the store LOL. Don't even try on any heels under 4". The higher, the better! :p That cruise is going to be BANANAS! Did you see my email?

OMG.....I couldn't agree more!! My friends ask me if they can go....not just NO but H*** NO!! I love doing what I want when I want. Even the hubby has learned to quit asking!! LOL. He golfs, I cruise.

LOL mama needs a break too, right? And then there's that post vacation, why didn't you invite me question from 10 people. Ummm, because I didn't want to! :rolleyes: I get that a lot too. haha

Like so many other people, I am loving your review. My wife and I sailed on the Valor on March 3rd. Just missed you. :( Anyway, one of the first billboards I saw in Puerto Rico was for these drinks. I also thought Daddy Yankee was affiliated with them. After doing some research, it doesn't appear so.

Please take this as flattery and not creepiness. I can't be the only one wondering how you are still single, right?

Where can you take the public bus to in St. Maarten? Does it go to Maho Beach?

No I have to wait longer for the end??????? Love the review.

Funny but I too go solo so have a big BD coming up and everyone felt they had to go On a cruise with me. Will be great to see lots of family and friends so told them only plans are dinner at 6. So I booked the one before as well so I could,have some me time!

We could throw down....off to take salsa lessons just in case. ;)

Like so many other people, I am loving your review. My wife and I sailed on the Valor on March 3rd. Just missed you. :( Anyway, one of the first billboards I saw in Puerto Rico was for these drinks. I also thought Daddy Yankee was affiliated with them. After doing some research, it doesn't appear so.

Please take this as flattery and not creepiness. I can't be the only one wondering how you are still single, right?

I was one of the last ones off the ship, so if you arrived early, we may have passed each other. I enjoyed 2 gasolinas tonight. :)

Not a creepy comment. In a nutshell, I have yet to meet a man that's not full of crap. DATING SUCKS! :rolleyes:

Where can you take the public bus to in St. Maarten? Does it go to Maho Beach?

Maybe someone else can answer the bus question, but I will say it took 30 minutes by taxi. I'm sure it would be a lot longer by bus. Just keep that in mind.

No I have to wait longer for the end??????? Love the review.

Funny but I too go solo so have a big BD coming up and everyone felt they had to go On a cruise with me. Will be great to see lots of family and friends so told them only plans are dinner at 6. So I booked the one before as well so I could,have some me time!

We could throw down....off to take salsa lessons just in case. ;)

I know, I'm sorry. I'm going to try to get this wrapped up in the next couple of days. I've had a few things that I've HAD to get done that have been neglected the past 2 weeks because I've been writing this. Good for you for booking the 2 cruises. That was smart! ;) Have fun with the salsa lessons!