June Baltic Treasures -Stockholm & Copenhagen

robert32asp

I have a three questions that I was hoping others might know the answer to.

(1) The Marina ship information says that we can board in Stockholm starting at 1PM. We are trying to decide which plane tickets to get and were wondering if it makes any difference if we board significantly later than the 1PM start of boarding time. We might catch a plane that lands at the Stockholm airport (way out of town, but on a rail line) around 4:30 PM. Would the only thing we miss by boarding late be a formal dinner?

(2) What is the best way for four people to get from the Stockholm airport to the Ship harbor (which if I remember correctly is quite a distance from downtown Stockholm?

(3) At the end of the cruise, what is the best way to go from the cruise ship when it pulls into Copenhagen and then get to the international airport? Is it easy or a free-for-all in getting public transportation to the airport when 1200 people get off?

Thanks a lot. Any ideas or options would be appreciated.

I have a three questions that I was hoping others might know the answer to.

(1) The Marina ship information says that we can board in Stockholm starting at 1PM. We are trying to decide which plane tickets to get and were wondering if it makes any difference if we board significantly later than the 1PM start of boarding time. We might catch a plane that lands at the Stockholm airport (way out of town, but on a rail line) around 4:30 PM. Would the only thing we miss by boarding late be a formal dinner?

Dining venues are usually open from 6:30 to 9 pm

(2) What is the best way for four people to get from the Stockholm airport to the Ship harbor (which if I remember correctly is quite a distance from downtown Stockholm?

Taxi or private car is probably the best

(3) At the end of the cruise, what is the best way to go from the cruise ship when it pulls into Copenhagen and then get to the international airport? Is it easy or a free-for-all in getting public transportation to the airport when 1200 people get off?

Thanks a lot. Any ideas or options would be appreciated.

Depends on where you dock in Copenhagen but they had a separate line for those waiting for taxis ..it was long for the smaller ship but did move fairly well

You could book a private transfer

Depending on your flight time ..leave plenty of time for check in at the airport ..seems very disorganized there

Personally, I would never have my flight arrive the day of the cruise. Too many things can go wrong. Nothing would be worse to miss your cruise or have your luggage not arrive in time.

My advice is to arrive at least one day early then you won't be so nervous IF your flight might have a delay.

Better safe than sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We are arriving at the Stockholm airport the first day you can board the ship.

My understanding is that it stays overnight to allow you to see Stockholm then it leaves the next evening.

As to Copenhagen, we were hoping to leave several hours later after the ship arrives to move on to another country.

We have already spent time in Stockholm and Copenhagen when my wife was taking graduate classes in Sweden for her doctorate. So we have seen the sights in both of those cities pretty much and just have few favorites to go back to in Stockholm.

Thanks for the input.

If anyone else has some additional suggestions, we would love to hear them.

Why not just arrive earlier ... go & enjoy the ship & it's offerings

JMO

All things being equal we would rather spend the extra time in Amsterdam, were we fly in from the US a few days earlier.

About 8 years ago my wife was finishing her PHD, we spend part of a summer in Sweden. She took graduate classes at the University of Uppsala where we stayed. At the time we had a Swedish Rail Pass and enjoyed a number of trips to Stockholm for sight seeing and shopping, as well as exploring Sweden.

Actually we also took an overnight ferry from Stockholm to Finland, stayed there a few days and then took another ferry to Estonia stayed a few days and flew from Talin to Germany and back home.

Part of what appeals to us is to spend time in Helsinki and Talin that we both really enjoyed, plus adding St Petersburg, Gadansk, and Warnemude/Rostock that we have never visited.

Amsterdam is a city we haven't been to in maybe 35 years and then it was just for a day, so we want to spend a little more time there, than in Stockholm that we have pretty well seen.

Our thought was to fly in the on the day of first boarding and board in the early evening like about 5 to 7 PM. If our flight is delayed or something happens we can always board the second day it is in Stockholm, before it sails for Finland.

Last year we flew home from Stockholm.

Below is a link about the Taxi's and prices.

Have a great cruise.

http://www.thelocal.se/16868/20090112/

Actually, it is much better than a link to prices, it is a warning on how not to get taken or ripped off. Thank you so much.

“...The classic is cruise ship passengers who arrive at Värtahamnen and pay 1,700 kronor for a taxi ride to Gamla Stan – normally a 120 – 150kr ride. Then there are many tourists who are told the meter is showing the price in euros or dollars, and they pay it. The highest example I know of personally was a Japanese tourists who paid 450 euros (4,600kr) for a ride from Stockholm center to Arlanda airport...."

Interesting to know that the prices of private and public taxis are so different. When I was in Sweden previously, I always walked, took the bus or the train, so I never realized there was this taxi issue.

Again thanks for the heads up!

All things being equal we would rather spend the extra time in Amsterdam, were we fly in from the US a few days earlier.

sorry I must have missed the part about you going to Amsterdam on route

We love Amsterdam ..enjoy

sorry I must have missed the part about you going to Amsterdam on route

We love Amsterdam ..enjoy

You didn't miss a thing as I did not explain our complete itinerary or the reasoning behind my three questions.

Thank you, I am sure we will enjoy both Amsterdam and all the stops.

Happy traveling!

Archived