What is is your favority island in Hawaii?

donna@donnaanderson.com

We've been on 4 land trips to Hawaii and have spent weeks at a time on Oahu, Maui and the Big Island. We've also taken day trips to Kauai and Lanai. All islands are beautiful and have their special features, but Maui is my favorite. It's been 11 years since we've been there but we found it not as commercialized as Oahu, many activities, and such beautiful scenery. We're hoping to go again next winter and hope to spend a few days on Kauai and the rest of our time back to Maui. The Big Island of Hawaii also has such varied scenery and one could easily spend a week or more on that island alone.

In the following order:

1. Kauai - absolutely gorgeous and some great beaches and snorkeling

2. The Big Island - very diverse - desert, rain forest active volcano,great snorkeling, history (Place of Refuge -Pu'uo Honaunan (sp?).

3. Maui - Haleakala is a must. We did it in the late morning. The mists had burned off and views were incredible.

Basically though they are all pretty wonderful.

I love the Big Island - Kona in particular. I feel that my heart is there all the time. One reason I love the Big Island so much as that it IS a big island and there is such diversity in the landscape. Kona and south of Kona is so beautiful. Hapuna Beach is unbelievably gorgeous.

Maui, however has really won my heart too. We have a condo we stay in, north of Lahaina in a little town called Honokowai. It is away from the hustle and bustle and you could think you were the only people around. But not so far away is a great deli, a nice little grocery store, and just in case you're missing Oahu there is an ABC store about a mile away. Not far up the road is a larger town with some restaurants (Outback, etc) as well as fast food.

Honestly, I love ALL the islands. The Big Island tends to be less expensive than Maui - groceries are very high priced on Maui. Milk, for example is near $7 a gallon!

Hikini:D

Years ago we visited Hawaii, all islands, a couple of times a year for my husband's business and fell in love with ALL the islands. I don't see how anyone can put the label "seen one seen them all" on Hawaii, but some people do. We find each one very individual, and I would be very happy to be "stuck" on any one of them. Having said that if I had to choose one to spend any amount of time on it would be Oahu because that island kind of encompasses all the others if you have the time and take the initiative to fully explore it - minus the active volcano, of course! To all of you who are going, you should enjoy any place you are fortunate to be. It's paradise in our humble opinion!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on Maui, Oahu and Kauai. I prefer Maui, but it depends on what you enjoy. Kauai has less tourists than the others. It is a great island if you're into nature, but it gets a lot of rain. Oahu is the island to go to if you like to be around people. It is more commercialized, but there is a lot to do there. I guess Maui is somewhat between the other two. We stayed at the Kapalua Villages and I loved every minute of it.

I've got to agree with the others that they are all great - and all are different in their own special way. We loved all of them that we visited, but the one we think we like most is Maui. It may be that there were so many other things we wanted to see that we didn't have time that we are anxious to go back. It is beautiful. We only had time to make a very quick stop at Lanai and I can't wait to go back, sit on the beach and watch the surfers! Of course, we also want to go back to Hilo and see the lava flow, climb Diamond Head on Oahu again...

It's so hard to pick favorites - like trying to pick your favorite child - can't be done! :D

Archived