Renting a Jeep in St. John-Do you need a Reservation?

DChabira

We will be on the May 2nd sailing of the AOS (Southern Caribbean).

We plan to disembark the minute the ship docks in St. Thomas at 7am, catch a taxi to Red Hook, take the ferry across to Cruz Bay, St. John where we want to rent a jeep and go snorkeling.

Do we really need a reservation for the jeep or will there be plenty available. All of the rental agencies I have found online want a non refundable deposit. If the weather is bad, we won't go so I hate to pay in advance?

What do you recommend?

David

[email]dchabira@cox.net[/email]

Hello David,

I didn't think the car rentals on St. John aceepted reservations for only one day rentals?? Perhaps that only applies to season and May is sort of the end of the season. In any case there are quite a few jeep rentals in Cruz Bay so if one doesn't have any cars you can just walk to the next and then the next. They are pretty much all within a 2 block area.

--Islander

For more information on the Virgin Islands visit [url="http://www.VInow.com"]http://www.VInow.com[/url] the best guide to St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Water Island. Includes a Cruise Guide to the USVI (ferry info, taxi rates, beach guide, dock info, cruies ship schedule and more).

Another strategy would be to rent the jeep in St. Thomas (directly at Havensight) and take the car ferry over to St. John. I've done this a couple of times without any problem. If you choose to do this, you should try to make a reservation. The Havensight location is just an outlet for most of the bigger name rental companies and they only keep a few cars here. We used Budget, you can make a reservation on the internet.

Kevin

Adventure of the Seas - 2004
Destiny - 2003
Splendour of the Seas - 2002
Sea Princess - 2001
Majesty of the Seas - 2000
Inspiration - 1998
Ecstasy - 1997

Archived