Port of Mobile Closed!

kristikae

June 10, 2005

Dear Travel Agent

‘He want to take his opportunity to inform you that the Port of Mobile is now closed to inbound ship traffic due to the approach of Tropical Storm Arlene. The port will not re-open until the storm passes through the area and a complete assessment is made. We are being advised that the Port of Mobile is estimated to re-open on Sunday afternoon and we will dock about 4 pm.

We will change the five-day Holiday cruise departing on Saturday,June II to a four-day cruise departing on Sunday, June 12. Embarkation will be from 5 pm to 6:30 pm. The four-day cruise is planned to depart at 8 pm. This Western Caribbean cruise will visit Cozumel from 9 am to 6 pm.

Guests that sail on this cruise will receive a 20% refund of their cruise fare and a $50 per person onboard credit to their Sail & Sign Account If your clients purchased shore excursions for Costa Maya, they will be automatically refunded to their Sail & Sign Account

If guests elect to cancel, they will receive a full refund. Refunds will be processed in less than two weeks. In addition, your commission will be protected.

Listed below are your booking(s) for this cruise. We request your assistance in contacting your clients to advise them of this change. ‘We apologize for this change but know that, once on board, your clients will enjoy a terrific “Fun Ship” Vacation!

Sincerely,

Vicki L Freed, CTC

Will they disembark the current passengers in Mobile or somewhere else? I heard they would disembark in Mobile, but early.

Sounds like the cruisers onboard will get an extra day and return on Sunday.

Im sure Carnival would rather keep the ship full as long as possible.

Sounds like the cruisers onboard will get an extra day and return on Sunday.
Doesn't sound like it to me. If it says they'll dock on Sunday around 4PM, I don't see how they could start embarkation at 5:30 if passengers were still on board when they docked. I would guess they'll disembark at another port (New Orleans, perhaps?) on Saturday (or maybe even today?) and bus people to Mobile, then head back out to sea or remain in the gulf.

Of course, I don't really know any of this, so I'm just guessing. :)

Doesn't sound like it to me. If it says they'll dock on Sunday around 4PM, I don't see how they could start embarkation at 5:30 if passengers were still on board when they docked. I would guess they'll disembark at another port (New Orleans, perhaps?) on Saturday (or maybe even today?) and bus people to Mobile, then head back out to sea or remain in the gulf.

Of course, I don't really know any of this, so I'm just guessing. :)

According to Carnival, Holiday passengers wont return to Mobile until the port re-opens on Sunday. I wouldnt really expect them to put people off in Mobile today or tomorrow with a Tropical Storm in the area.

Im sure it will be a logistical nightmare for everyone getting on and off the cruise on Sunday. They probably wont actually leave Mobile until around 9-10pm on Sunday.

I read on carnivals website somewhere that it is against US Law to embark at one US Port and Debark at another US port. I'm sure they would make an exception in extreme circumstances...but I'm assuming that's why some ships that get caught at sea during storms in their home ports often extend the trip by a couple of days.

They probably wont actually leave Mobile until around 9-10pm on Sunday.

Who are they kidding?:p I'd bet later than that. It's usually a 12 hour turnaround under the best of circumstances. It's too early to tell and these storms have a mind of their own but it looks like the storm is moving more toward the FL panhandle which will put Mobile on the "dry" side of the storm. So the port may open earlier than they are letting on.

This storm has been a real bust. I live 15 miles west of Mobile right on the AL/MS line and we have not experienced hardly a breeze all day maybe a half inch of rain. They predicted 10-12 inches. They probably could have kept the port open all day with no problem. But better safe than sorry I guess. Glad I don't have to make those kinds of decisions for CCL.

This storm has been a real bust. I live 15 miles west of Mobile right on the AL/MS line and we have not experienced hardly a breeze all day maybe a half inch of rain. They predicted 10-12 inches. They probably could have kept the port open all day with no problem. But better safe than sorry I guess. Glad I don't have to make those kinds of decisions for CCL.

You almost sound sad it wasnt worse.:confused:

They will always put safety first when it comes to weather. CCL didnt have any power in the decision to close the Port. They just had to adjust to the closure of the port by Mobile. Its hard to predict the path of a storm 2-3 days in advance.

So did they re-open the port? Hopefully Holiday can dock earlier than 4pm.

You almost sound sad it wasnt worse.:confused:

So did they re-open the port? Hopefully Holiday can dock earlier than 4pm.

I really do enjoy hurricanes. :D If you've never been through one it's a real experience. Some love them, some are terrified of them, but in an odd way I find them fun. It brings out all the neighbors and family that you may not have seen in awhile and everyone pitches in to help get ready (and clean up in some cases). I might have a different view if we were ever to get torn up real bad. we've been fortunate for the last 20 years or so I guess. Ivan was a (really) near miss last year. Our power was out for 5 days so all our family and neighbors grilled outside during that time and helped each other clean up our yards. Couldn't stay inside as it was too hot with no A/C. It turns into a party of sorts. You'd probably have to experience it to understand but it's all part of living on the Gulf Coast. I'll leave though for a cat 4 or above though. As for the port can't say for certain but I'm sure it's back open as there was zero damage in Mobile. You can check this link for the port cam to see when Holiday comes in.

http://flhurricane.com/jjohnston/

I really do enjoy hurricanes. :D If you've never been through one it's a real experience. Some love them, some are terrified of them, but in an odd way I find them fun. It brings out all the neighbors and family that you may not have seen in awhile and everyone pitches in to help get ready (and clean up in some cases). I might have a different view if we were ever to get torn up real bad. we've been fortunate for the last 20 years or so I guess. Ivan was a (really) near miss last year. Our power was out for 5 days so all our family and neighbors grilled outside during that time and helped each other clean up our yards. Couldn't stay inside as it was too hot with no A/C. It turns into a party of sorts. You'd probably have to experience it to understand but it's all part of living on the Gulf Coast. I'll leave though for a cat 4 or above though. As for the port can't say for certain but I'm sure it's back open as there was zero damage in Mobile. You can check this link for the port cam to see when Holiday comes in.

I do know what you're talking about. When I was stationed on Guam, we experienced a major typhoon (sustained winds of 150 mph), and so long as you don't sustain any major damage, it turns into a type of block party atmosphere. We were without electricity for 2 weeks, cooking outside over fire pits with the neighbors, sharing whatever you have with whoever needs it, etc. I don't hope for hurricanes to happen, but if they do, we'll make the best of it. It's called making lemonade out of lemons.

Bthorn. How are the MSC cruises compared to Carnival. Do they have a large variety of food. I do not eat any red meat and I have an opportunity to sail on MSC at a very discounted rate.

I live in the Gulf Shores area where Ivan did alot of damage. I personally dont understand the party atmosphere of a hurricane. Even if you are lucky enough to not have any damage it is hard to take seeing other people that are still living in small FEMA trailers because they lost everything. I think all Hurricanes should be taken seriously and even if it is not in your area I feel you should have compassion for those that it does affect. I too feel lucky that Arlene fizzled out and noone was hurt or had damage from her.

Archived