How much and how to tip the maitre'd

mrsraggy

DIPPY- Since autotips are relatively new on HAL (I think your upcoming cruise is your first on HAL?) and we have not been on another cruiseline in a long time, I was wondering what other ships you have been on that have the autotip? How is being able to opt out handled on other cruiselines? What are the rules that stewards are supposed to follow if you tip cash instead of the autotip?

Thanks for any info you have other than how HAL does it.

I was on the Caribbean Princess last summer and they handled autotips and extra tips the same way HAL does now (if you leave the autotip on, you can give extra tips to particular crew members and they can keep them). Also was on the Norwegian Sky Fall 2003 and that's how they handled it, too. (The year before, Rhapsody of the Seas did it the old way, individual tips, no autotipping). Seems like many of the cruiselines are doing it the same way now.

I guess I'm glad everyone is getting "tips" now. Doesn't seem to have affected the service on the ships I've been on. Just wish they'd include those "automatic tips" in the cruise price. I know some people take them off, but I don't, so for me it's not optional at all, and should be included in the base price. Then my onboard statement wouldn't be so big on the last day--don't drink alcohol, don't buy many pictures or gift shop items--my main expenses are tips and excursions, and would prefer to have their costs out of the way before I sail.

Maybe HAL could allow those of us who want to do it to pay for our autotips before sailing? Probably not many people would do it. Now that I think of it, it's kind of crazy to give them your money earlier than necessary!

Mary

Archived