Commodore Ronald Wilfred Warwick OBE

guernseyguy

Announced today as part of the Queen's Birthday Honours list Commodore Warwick has been awarded an Order of the British Empire (see here: http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page498.asp) The citation reads 'Formerly Master, Queen Mary 2, for services to the Merchant Navy'

Interesting, does the Queen know something we don't - 'formerly'? I also guess the days of Knighthoods for Commanders of the Queens are gone too...

But anyway, I'm sure Ron is delighted and looking forward to his day at the palace - well deserved.

Peter

Peter (Guernseyguy)

Is Commander Warwick still the Master of the QM2 and will he be on the Aug 9th crossing. This indeed is a great honor for him.

I had the honor of being in charge (for the city of Tampa) of Queen Elizabeth's trip to Tampa Fl. in 1990's The Yatch brought H.M. and the Prince here from Miami and they left on the Concord after reviewing the troops at MacDill Air Force Base and touring the HQ. of Central Command (his after the Gulf War.) H.M. presented the General with the O.B. at that meeting.

Also flew to Miami to meet H.M. at a reception board the Britannica. Quite a thrill....

After that, our trip to London in "94 included being the guests of the "Home Office" for a wonderful private tour of London.

The Golds

We are looking forward to the QM2 crossing and revisting London.

As one who is somewhat cynical about some of the characters who are given "gongs" at times (I am sure that the Queen must cringe when the list is presented to her) I am so pleased for the Comodore. He has safely commanded both of the Queens for many years, and brought so many of us to ports we would never have dreamed of visiting. Is he really ex now?.

David.

The exact wording is

Lately master, Queen Mary 2. For services to the Merchant Navy.

In this case, "lately" is, I believe, used in the sense of "recently", just as a formal post-wedding announcement would be sent out as "Lately Married, so-and-so to such-and-such...."

It doesn't mean the he will not be back on board ever, just that he is not currently on board serving.

The entire Honour's List can be seen here as a PDF file, so you need the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it.

Ken_W,

Well spotted, I must have mistranscribed from the Torygraph this morning:o

I also think your analysis is correct as there are quite a few other 'Lately's in the list - I suspect its Queen-speak for 'most recently'.

Peter

Commodore Warwick has been awarded an Order of the British Empire

Technically I think he was "created an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire".

I have always thought it slightly odd that they always say "created" in instances like this. I imagine the Queen is one of the few people who can actually claim to have "created" this or that person ;) !

I also guess the days of Knighthoods for Commanders of the Queens are gone too...

I imagine that Knighthoods for people in positions like this are usually given upon retirement.

Perhaps when he retires he'll be "upgraded"?

Anyhow, I don't know him, and I doubt he's reading this, but congratulations anyway!

Technically I think he was "created an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire".

Doug,

Many though her Majesty's powers are, she only 'confers', does not 'create'...

CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD

St. James's Palace, London SW1

11 June 2005

The QUEEN has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of the

Celebration of Her Majesty's Birthday, to signify her intention of conferring the following honours upon the undermentioned:

Order of the British Empire (Civil Division) O.B.E.

To be Ordinary Officers of the Civil Division of the said Most

Excellent Order:

WARWICK, Commodore Ronald Wilfred, lately Master, Queen Mary 2. For services to the Merchant Navy.

In the past, Knighthoods were conferred on serving Captains of the Queens, for example, Commodore Sir James Bisset. These may in part have related to war time service. OBE is one above MBE (Member), one below CBE (Commander) and two below Knight Commander (KBE). I doubt Ron will get to KBE.

Peter

Archived