For Florence and Pisa tour - do Pisa first, or last?

Kidsoftheseas

Florence, since that is far more impressive.

ttnc4me, I would not try to do both Pisa and Florence on your own in one day. There is plenty to see in Florence and getting to the Sacred Compound in Pisa may be a problem for your. The train station is over a mile from the Compound.

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=1187

• 1 month later...

Just back from a cruise which included Livorno, and we covered both Florence & Pisa by train as per my plans in an earlier post on this thread, thanks to the hints on this forum.

We had plenty of time for our needs at both, though we hadn't planned go into any museums & such in Florence (saw the lines, though), or go up the tower in Pisa.

Just to add my two-penn'orth of hints:

Taxis in Livorno are nearly all vans & will take around 8. We shared with three other couples from ship to rail station, the price is €25 so it cost just €7 per couple including a tip. But not lucky for the return, nobody else on our train wanting to go to the port so we had to pay the full €25.

Our ship was RCI, they offered a payable transfer ship to city centre but not to the rail station. Norwegian (Epic?) was in port same day & they were running a shuttle between ship & station.

Fare in €18 pp return, whether you stop off at Pisa or not.

The station in Florence is very handy to the cathedral & the sights, but it isn't obviously a station - so on exiting the station be more aware of your surroundings than we bothered to do.

The Ponte Vecchio was very disappointing, the exterior was very plain & boring, the interior little better. But the rest of the city made up for it.

The walk from Pisa station to the tower is a pleasant & level 15 to 20 minute walk.

JB :)

• 3 weeks later...

Fare in €18 pp return, whether you stop off at Pisa or not.

So, does that mean you purchased a return ticket, instead of two one ways?

Also, if travelling from Florence to Livorno, does the train always stop at Pisa to give the 4 hour window (or is that only if travelling from Livorno to Florence)?

In order to get the entrance tickets we want in advance, we are now having to visit Florence first and hit Pisa on the way back.

So, does that mean you purchased a return ticket, instead of two one ways?

Also, if travelling from Florence to Livorno, does the train always stop at Pisa to give the 4 hour window (or is that only if travelling from Livorno to Florence)?

In order to get the entrance tickets we want in advance, we are now having to visit Florence first and hit Pisa on the way back.

Yes, a return ticket. But the same price as two singles, 18 euros per adult. We were told on this thread that it's valid to include a break at Pisa, but we weren't challenged. In fact, I don't recall having to show a ticket all day.

All the Livorno/Florence trains (both directions) stop at Pisa, including the fast trains to/from Rome, because it's a junction - and there are also Livorno/Pisa trains & Pisa/Florence trains, so you can change at Pisa if there's not a through train due for a while.

Four-hour window?

I guess you mean train from Florence to Pisa, walk to the tower, go up, spend a while looking at the other buildings, mebbe browse a few stalls & stop for a coffee, then walk back to the station, train to Livorno.

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem.

But since nobody stamped our ticket I can't imagine a problem if you take longer.

I did check on the Trenitalia site the price of a ticket Florence to Pisa & another Pisa to Livorno. Total was just a couple of euros more than the 9 euro through ticket.

Archived