Albatross

glojo

Has anyone on this forum had the priviledge of seeing an albatross whilst at sea, on a cruise ship. If so could they describe for how long this bird stayed near the ship, and where on the high seas were you when you saw this bird.

Thanks

John

Yes, I have seen Albatross in Antarctica, both flying and nesting, also off the coast of Kaikura in New Zealand.

In Antarctica there were many seabirds following the ship, increasingly as we approached South Georgia.

There certainly were a few we spotted from the ship, but they did not stay long as I remember.

Our best sighting was at the nesting sites in the Falklands where we were fascinated by the soaring flight and the way they used the up draught to land at the nests.

Antarctic, defo the finest cruise we have done.

Got some pictures somewhere, I will dig them out.

David.

Yes, I have seen Albatross in Antarctica, both flying and nesting, also off the coast of Kaikura in New Zealand.

In Antarctica there were many seabirds following the ship, increasingly as we approached South Georgia.

There certainly were a few we spotted from the ship, but they did not stay long as I remember.

Our best sighting was at the nesting sites in the Falklands where we were fascinated by the soaring flight and the way they used the up draught to land at the nests.

Antarctic, defo the finest cruise we have done.

Got some pictures somewhere, I will dig them out.

David.

Hi David,

THANK YOU very much for this and it is confirming my experience. We were lucky to see these birds and they were not like the usual seagulls that would follow the ship. My brief experience was we were just fortunate to be in the right pace at the right time as they glided by?

I needed folks to confirm this as my individual recollection might not be the norm? Sadly over time our memories get distorted and perhaps influenced.

Antartica is NOT a location on my 'to do list' :o;) but I do recognise the stunning beauty of that location and enjoy looking at documentaries that feature that location.

New Zeland on the other hand is a major reason for our taking to the high seas. I am really looking forward to my wife seeing that beautiful country although my memories of that far off land is from the early 70's and I am hoping against hope that things have not changed that much? (question) :o

Reincarnated sky pilots coming back to haunt jolly jack

Indeed! Now just remember, when you return we don't want to be hearing anything like this

God save thee Glojo, from Torquay

From the fiends that plague thee thus

Your soul to cleanse, with your zoom lens

You shot the albatross

J

Indeed! Now just remember, when you return we don't want to be hearing anything like this

God save thee Glojo, from Torquay

From the fiends that plague thee thus

Your soul to cleanse, with your zoom lens

You shot the albatross

J

:D:DIt will be nice to cross the equator without King Neptune demanding my presence to account for some petty misdemeanor.

I will pay all due respect to any friendly albatross that might cross our bows ;)

I concur with the earlier post.

The South Atlantic, South Georgia and the Falkland Isle are a fantastic place to see Albatross and other birds at sea.

Thanks and that is the area they frequent. We are only going to the North Island of New Zealand but I am hoping that will be far enough south to see them? (question)

Apologies to all the Cunard members if this is too off topic but thank you David for posting your link and it does show what I am after and me being me I want to get as much detail as possible. I am a firm believer in the better the glkass the better the chances of getting that detail. I accept folks have to have a talent to get the right shot but my corner believes we still need thed right glass to maximise the chances of getting the maximum detail from what we see.

This would be the sort of thing I would be after but hopefully the albatross would be closer and more to the point... MUCH lower than this bird

Seagull_JGS0217.jpg

Same lens but only 20 or so metres away from my subject

RedTailedBuzzardc_JGS5406.jpg

If I can get this sort of detail when snapping an albatross I will be a happy bunny and that for me might very well be the highlight of the cruise.

I wonder how many of us would like such a detailed, close up photograph of our ugly faces? :eek:;)

If I can get this sort of detail when snapping an albatross I will be a happy bunny and that for me might very well be the highlight of the cruise.

:;)

I will be very interested to see the results.

David.

I will be very interested to see the results.

David.

You can be assured I will do my best but the bottom line is it will be down to lady luck. Right place at the right time and most important is actually seeing this bird. My memory tells me I only saw them individually but is that correct. Do they fly around in groups or are they more likely to maintain strict radio silence and fly unaccompanied?

Whilst talking photography do we know if any Cunard ships have or offer any courses on Photoshop? I have this software and there is always something I can learn from experts that use it. :)

Would you experienced birders consider starting a new thread for Cunard bird watchers? I'm a novice, but I would be very interested in reading about your sightings and viewing your photos if you care to share them. Thanks -S.

P.S. The most beautiful bird I've ever seen was flying above the sea, close to shore in Bermuda in May of 2011.

Would you experienced birders consider starting a new thread for Cunard bird watchers? I'm a novice, but I would be very interested in reading about your sightings and viewing your photos if you care to share them. Thanks -S.

P.S. The most beautiful bird I've ever seen was flying above the sea, close to shore in Bermuda in May of 2011.

As requested have started one.

David

As requested have started one.

David

Thank you very much! I've noticed that there are several accomplished photographers on this board...looking forward to reading a dedicated thread on the topic of cruising and photography!:) Thanks again, -S.

Thank you very much! I've noticed that there are several accomplished photographers on this board...looking forward to reading a dedicated thread on the topic of cruising and photography!:) Thanks again, -S.

Salacia, thank you for requesting the new thread.

I'm often amazed at the quality of the photographs on this forum. For instance, pepperrn's photos are some that I've enjoyed and have passed on the link both here and to friends.

John, your bird pictures are beautiful. Will be most interested to see your album on your return from your sailing.

David: Just watched your Spirit of Adventure Antarctic Expedition and enjoyed your pictures. Did you write a review of this sailing?

best regards,

seasidegal

Has anyone on this forum had the priviledge of seeing an albatross whilst at sea, on a cruise ship. If so could they describe for how long this bird stayed near the ship, and where on the high seas were you when you saw this bird.

Thanks

John

We once had an exhausted Albatross landing on the ship somewhere in the South Sea east of French Polynesia. The bird was taken care of by a veterinary passenger and stayed for one day. Quite a sight.

We once had an exhausted Albatross landing on the ship somewhere in the South Sea east of French Polynesia. The bird was taken care of by a veterinary passenger and stayed for one day. Quite a sight.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge would no doubt be as delighted as I am to read that!:)

Reference: The Rime of the Ancient Mariner http://www.bartleby.com/101/549.html

He prayeth best; who lovest best

All things both great and small;

For the dear God who lovest us

Made us loveth all.

How rewarding for everyone and I guess especially that bird ;)

Well, all I can say is, if it was a formal night I hope the bird conformed with the dress code :D

J

This also happened to my parents on a World Cruise back in the 70s (to celebrate my father's retirement, on board Canberra for those who have long memories). When the bird looked as though it was ready to leave, my father told us that the captain turned into the wind and steamed at full speed to help it take off! I've never been sure whether this was true or not, but it may be - when we saw the Waved Albatross in the Galapagos, they basically ran as fast as possible along a cliff top pathway (runway?), then sort of fell off the cliff and started flying. Not the most elegant of birds.

Archived