We were to be boarding Carnival Dream on Saturday! Did we make a wise choice?

dvdkndy

Do yourself a favor. Read a couple of the Epic reviews from February - Dave (cruzface) did a really amazing one http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1802252

There's SO much to do and see on Epic. I know the itinerary isn't the best if you've been to those island before. BUT, the ship is a destination in itself.

The biggest difference is no set dining time and no formal clothes necessary. Leave the suit and jacket home if you wish! There are 2 main dining rooms (Taste and Manhattan Room) and O'Sheehans, the Garden Café (buffet) and the Great Outdoors (outdoor buffet) that are all included in your price. O'Sheehans is open 24/7. There are a ton of other restaurants to go to that have a fee. Teppanyaki sells out quickly so if you're interested in that, book right away when you board. Moderno is a great place if you like meat.

Also when you board, book a time for the Blue Man Group - you need a reservation and although there's no fee, sometimes it's hard to get into at your preferred times. Cirque Dreams is a for-fee show with a cirque du soliel type act and a set dinner. Other than that there's Howl at the Moon, the Ice Bar (bring shoes!), Legends in Concert, Second City and a bunch of other things to do and see.

NCL adds $12 per person to your account daily for a service charge which is basically the gratuity. So no need to tip anyone extra unless you wish. Bar drinks get an automatic 15% added to the bill and spa services are 18% added. Not sure if you booked a suite, but the butler and concierge are NOT in the DSC pool so they need to be tipped accordingly.

THat's all I can think of but there's some good reviews from very recent sailings to give you an idea of what's to do and see.

Have a great time - sorry you had to scramble, but I for one loved Epic. Hope you do too!

And don't forget Slam Allen at Fat Cats a must see if you like blues no charge!

It sounds like the suppliers of the Fincantari shipyard and the Naval Architects have a ton of work to do in design. Next, the line needs to revamp it's service schedule and procedures. If Carnival survives this and isn't broken up and sold to RCL, Norwegian and even Viking; they need to really consider their priorities. We were on the Dream in October and had a great time, but there is more to a ship than appearances and service. The safe operation of a ship at sea requires all systems to be properly maintained and the officers on duty to keep a sharp eye.The crew must be prepare to turn to and keep the vessel in shape. If it is a deficiency in training or personnel it can be corrected by hiring qualified seamen and providing proper training. I believe this string of incidents is entirely CCL's responsibility. Pup another way, if I own a bus and try to delay replacing the brakes then am involved in an accident because my brakes failed...Who's fault is it? Cheerleaders fire at will, but this is truly becoming a seaman's nightmare. USN retired.

That is a pretty strong statement considering the FACT that NONE of the Carnival incidents have been proven to be caused by lack of maintenance.

If you have facts that differ from mine, please post it for everyone's benefit.

Incorrect statements diminish the value of CC as a source of information.

It sounds like the suppliers of the Fincantari shipyard and the Naval Architects have a ton of work to do in design. Next, the line needs to revamp it's service schedule and procedures. If Carnival survives this and isn't broken up and sold to RCL, Norwegian and even Viking; they need to really consider their priorities. We were on the Dream in October and had a great time, but there is more to a ship than appearances and service. The safe operation of a ship at sea requires all systems to be properly maintained and the officers on duty to keep a sharp eye.The crew must be prepare to turn to and keep the vessel in shape. If it is a deficiency in training or personnel it can be corrected by hiring qualified seamen and providing proper training. I believe this string of incidents is entirely CCL's responsibility. Pup another way, if I own a bus and try to delay replacing the brakes then am involved in an accident because my brakes failed...Who's fault is it? Cheerleaders fire at will, but this is truly becoming a seaman's nightmare. USN retired.

Probably belongs in its on thread, but I have a feeling the Dream issue is fine. Taking it out of service is more of an abundance of caution and to avoid further humiliation Maintenance hasn't been the issue, design maybe, Concordia was just someone being deadly stupid and no one telling the "boss" no. I'm not being a cheerleader, Carnival is my least favorite line.

As you can see from my signature I have sailed a few lines. Great del on last minute booking. I am sure you we love it. Read as much as you can before boarding, free style s so different and keeps me coming back to NCL.

PS, I had a blast on my CCL cruise but I like free style and NCL a little better but would cruise CCL again if it was a fit for my schedule.

You won't be sorry that you switched to NCL. We sailed the Dream in December, and we vowed not to sail Carnival again. The food, the staff, the entertainment is all so much better on Norwegian! I haven't been on the Epic, but we are booking for the new Getaway in 2014. Have a blast!!

I was on carnival dream a couple years ago in my opinion my NCL cruise on Pearl was a million times better from food, crew, boat etc! We will be on Epic the 23rd and I am so excited....you will have an awesome time!!!

Sorry your cruise got cancelled that would be so stressful

Have a wonderful vacation

I'm surprised no one warned them about the bathrooms.

They don't really say who the "two friends" are and whether or not they are married or a couple of pals sailing together.

Maggie

What about the bathrooms? I've never been on Epic, so I'm not sure what you mean?

I'm surprised no one warned them about the bathrooms.

They don't really say who the "two friends" are and whether or not they are married or a couple of pals sailing together.

Maggie

In original posters other thread I posted a youtube video showing an inside stateroom. It shows view of the bathroom set up. Video follows

What about the bathrooms? I've never been on Epic, so I'm not sure what you mean?

The shower and the toilet aren't in a separate bathroom. The shower has frosted glass doors around it, but it opens right into the cabin. The toilet has frosted glass doors around it, but it opens right into the cabin. The bathroom sink is right in the cabin in the open.

So, when you shower, you will have to dry off etc. right in the cabin.

There is a curtain that separates the shower and the toilet from the bed area. However, the door to the cabin is on the shower/toilet side of the room. So if someone walks in after you get out of the shower, you would be right there in front of the door!

See the video posted above.

It was a serious consideration for us when we were picking our next cruise. I really want to try the Epic features, but didn't really want the bathroom setup.

Maggie

The shower and the toilet aren't in a separate bathroom. The shower has frosted glass doors around it, but it opens right into the cabin. The toilet has frosted glass doors around it, but it opens right into the cabin. The bathroom sink is right in the cabin in the open.

There is a curtain that separates the shower and the toilet from the bed area. However, the door to the cabin is on the shower/toilet side of the room. So if someone walks in after you get out of the shower, you would be right there in front of the door!

It was a serious consideration for us when we were picking our next cruise. I really want to try the Epic features, but didn't really want the bathroom setup.

Maggie

The key thing for the OP to know is the setup has never been the problem that people speculated about before the Epic sailed and for the most part remains a big issue only for those never onboard. 4000-5000 sail every week and barely a peep about the setup from those returning. Close the curtain and throw the deadbolt and as much privacy as a traditional setup.

Maggie

That is different? Thank you for educating me!! I don't think it'd be a deal breaker, but, it is odd!!

Archived