Child on Med. Cruise

HI all-

Looking at 6/06 Med. cruise on the Splendour. My six (will be seven then) year old is dying to see Greece. However, I know how port-intensive those itineraries are ----he may need a break and do adventure ocean for a day. On a cruise like that, does Adventure Ocean run all day? When I did Sovereign last winter to Bahamas, there would be blocks of time (such as 12-2, then 4-5:30) during the day in which Adventure Ocean was closed - and that would make me spending a day in port impossible. Anybody with any experience on this? Thanks!

Rachel

Sovereign 12/04

Splendour 6/03

Imagination 6/01

Fantasy 12/00

We have an 8 year old who will accompany us to our Splendour Med. cruise this summer. Aside from trips to FL, CA, and TX, he has been to PR, Germany and Austria. If there is one gift you can give your children, is an education. There is nothing better than to expose them to different cultures, people, art, and experiences. She should be happy that her son is interested in other countries.

Rachel, I have no information on Adventure Ocean since our plan is that he will go to port with us every day on excursions. I will happily let you know the hours once we get back.

You have a six year old that's dying to see Greece? Geez, if you take him now, where will he want to go when he's 12? The moon? You gonna make that happen too?

My then 7 year old was dying to go to Italy after seeing a documentry and seeing relatives pictures of Venice. I can't afford to take her at this time but if I could I might have...I want to see that, too!:p

I wish I was that 7 year old..I'm jealous:D

Seriously, I think by calling RCI they will be able to give you the information you are needing. As far as I know and have read, AO is open during port days but sometimes close at certain times for breaks. On sea days, they have several sessions a day.

You might also look on the ports and family boards for additional information

Hae fun!:)

Don't be mean, justaknucklehead :0). I don't know where my boy got the idea, but he has been wanting to see Greece and Italy. All he wants to see in Italy is the lemon groves, but he has some books about mythology and the ruins so he wants to see Greece now. If he wants to see the moon when he's 12....well, guess we'll get him a telescope :0).

Sometimes it's easier to take the kids when they are in elementary school - high schools are usually picky with absences and all that. Also, we are not tied down at this point to elderly parents, which we may be in a couple of years.

I may give RCCL a call about the hours. Thanks!

Rachel

Sovereign 12/04

Splendour 6/03

Imagination 6/01

Fantasy 12/00

I think its great that a seven year old wants to see Greece. If you can afford it, why not? My son took Italian in school and always wanted to see Italy. We did that two summers ago and he loved it. Very educational.

Hi Rachel,

We are taking our 2 children ages (just turned 10and 7 yrs) on a Med cruise this summer. We are receiving lots of ,"Why are you takin your kids?" Simply put, because we can. We have not taken them to Europe, but they are well travelled within N.A, Caribbean, Hawaii. Every year gets a little easier. They have learned what is expected. The secret to travelling with your children is to know their limits. They can be stretched on occasion(i.e.long flights) but not to plan too intensive a day.

We are on the Splendour this summer and it is a port intensive cruise. A little foresight can keep everyone happy. We know that this will not be the first and last trip to Europe, therefore we don't have to see and do it all. WE have involved our children in sights that they would like to see. The leaning Tower of Pisa is a must on our son's list, so we are doing a ship tour that combines this sightseeing with a halfday on the beach. Everyone is happy. Certainly, I would like to spend a day in Florence, but we recognize that our kids aren't up to it....in a few years,different story. We have organized a private tour out of Marseille, where we will do a quick visit it Aix-en-Provence and shop the market for picnic goods, stop at a local winery and then head to Cassis, where we can picnic on the beach. There are options with children that can be enjoyable for all, as long as everyone isn't rushed to 'SEE EVERYTHING". Happy planning.

:)Pam

Archived