Just back from Falmouth...Any questions?

FLCruiseFan

Just back from Falmouth today. I was really nervous about this port stop but it ended up being a great visit. We walked off the ship and found a trolley tour available inside the port terminal (we hadn't booked anything). We inquired and for $20 took the 1 hour tour of Falmouth outside the gates. It stopped at a historic church and we were able to take in the city without being hassled by the locals.

We enjoyed some Jerk Chicken at the restaurant inside the terminal, food was just ok, and did some shopping and drinking. If you like Red Stripe...Try Red Stripe BOLD. Much smoother and better tasting beer.

To sum it up...if you were nervous of this stop, don't be it can be fun and a great day!

Happy to hear about the trolley tour - I've been struggling to find something to do. I will have a four year old with me... do you feel it would be ok to bring children on this tour? Also, since I do have a child... I need to ask... did you notice if there is any access to restrooms should you need them?

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last week. LOVED our excursion - Rio Bueno River Tubing with River Rapid Adventures but had to book through the ship (Royal Caribbean, Mariner of the Seas).

INSIDE the fenced in port is very nice. No really pushy venders until you get closer to the gate and even the ones just inside the gate start getting pushy (private tour sales). Also, be aware that the people walking around on stilts are very eager to have photos taken with you but then politely DEMAND that you give them a very nice tip afterwards. Could probably outrun them, but being nice people, we gave them a good tip.

OUTSIDE the fenced port ... brother-in-law wanted to venture outside and see how the "real" people lived. We had read enough to know that my son and myself would not be going outside of the gate (dad was back on ship napping). Boy did he wish he had not either. He had not gone 20 feet out of the gate and was bombarded with vendors and men actually grabbing his hand and placing packets of weed and drugs into his hands and then asking for money. He was offered "sniffs" if he wanted them instead. Could not get away from them fast enough. A lady literally grabbed his hair (he has shoulder length hair) and would not let go until he agreed to let her braid some - 3 small strands I think. He admitted that it scared the bajeebies out of him - he lives in California and is used to a lot of different things, but has never experienced anything like this. :eek:

We visited Falmouth during the first week of March. We had booked a private trip to Time and place beach and the meeting point was the Scotia Bank outside the gates. There were many hawkers wanting to sell us tours but the minute we said 'too late, booked time and place' they left us alone. We spent at least 30 minutes roaming around as we had lots of time before our 10am pickup.

I did not feel worried or threatened at all. Always repeating, 'sorry, to late already booked time and place'.

Upon our return to the town we decide to roam around the craft market before entering the gates to the port. Again, there were some vendors that were a bit pushy but we continued and insisted we didn't want to buy anything. Eventually we stopped for a beer (negotiated 2 for $4 red stripe) and had a good visit with some locals. Seems this area is really poor and that they are all just trying to scrape a living out of the cruise ship passengers. Too bad they don't realize that the pushiness just keeps many from venturing outside the gates. We tried to explain but......

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go !! We are doing no excursions here, but it is more shopping, photography, and eating stop for us. Maybe some cool drinks also.

1. Do you have any knowledge of the roadside eateries in Faiths Pen?

2. Where is the best place to by AUTHENTIC Blue Mountain coffee, without getting scammed?

3. Where to get best deal on purchase of Rum and Rum Cakes?

4. Best places to go to eat and drink?

5. Did you go to Water Square and was the shopping good?

6. Best place to get Jerk and seafood?

7. Is there an open air market or grocery store to by spices in bulk?

Thanks in advance

The trolley tour would be fine for kids. There is one stop midway through at an old historic church where you could use the bathroom. There are also vendors there and they were not that pushy.

As for the questions about food or outside the gates...since we only rode in the trolley I cant speak to that. I will say that the port area is very large with about 100 shops. Its much larger and nicer than any Caribbean port I have been in before. Its just a little artificial as you would imagine.

It was a nice day though and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

Archived