Illness on Liberty Sailing March 2-9

MeghanJ

My family sailed on the beautiful Liberty on March 2-9 for an Eastern Caribbean cruise. All went well, no complaints in the least! However, on Saturday morning, March 9, at about 3 am I woke up with stomach issues, and then my daughter did, and then my husband and MIL did! We all had symptoms varying from nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. I heard from a lady on our way off the ship that many were ill in the medical area of the ship overnight, and that meds were given out. Now I read on Cruise Critic that Holland Cruise Lines is skipping Grand Turk because of a possible issue with food at Margaritaville....yes, we ate there too! Just wondering if anyone else who sailed the Liberty and ate at Margaritaville became sick. Or if they did eat there and didn't get sick. Everyone I spoke to about my time on the Liberty heard how WONDERFUL it was, and that it was the last few hours that put a bad turn to what was a fabulous trip! (3 other people in our party did not get sick, but 2 of them did not eat at Margaritaville.)

Me and my family were also on this cruise and none of us ate at Margaritiav

ille and we didn't get sick either. I'm sorry that you and your family got sick the last night of your cruise. I'll be writing a review of our cruise when I get some time to do so.

From various threads I've read there does seem to be an outbreak of gastroenteritis on Grand Turk. Not the more severe norovirus, but still not pleasant.

I also read that other cruiselines were skipping their calls at GT until some extra sanitizing can be done.

So sorry this happened to you and your family.

I remember many years ago, sitting in an open bar/restaurant on one of the Islands. You could see where they were cooking the food. OMG, the flies all over the food was repulsive.

We never, ever eat on the Islands. Always have a big breakfast which pretty much holds us over. If we are super hungry we go back on the ship for a quick bite.

I remember many years ago, sitting in an open bar/restaurant on one of the Islands. You could see where they were cooking the food. OMG, the flies all over the food was repulsive.

We never, ever eat on the Islands. Always have a big breakfast which pretty much holds us over. If we are super hungry we go back on the ship for a quick bite.

:(

Oooooof da!

My family sailed on the beautiful Liberty on March 2-9 for an Eastern Caribbean cruise. All went well, no complaints in the least! However, on Saturday morning, March 9, at about 3 am I woke up with stomach issues, and then my daughter did, and then my husband and MIL did! We all had symptoms varying from nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. I heard from a lady on our way off the ship that many were ill in the medical area of the ship overnight, and that meds were given out. Now I read on Cruise Critic that Holland Cruise Lines is skipping Grand Turk because of a possible issue with food at Margaritaville....yes, we ate there too! Just wondering if anyone else who sailed the Liberty and ate at Margaritaville became sick. Or if they did eat there and didn't get sick. Everyone I spoke to about my time on the Liberty heard how WONDERFUL it was, and that it was the last few hours that put a bad turn to what was a fabulous trip! (3 other people in our party did not get sick, but 2 of them did not eat at Margaritaville.)

I was on the same cruise, and yes I also got sick. We had a few frozen drinks at Margaritaville and I ate at Jacks Shack. It's either the ice from the blended drinks OR I may have went to the bathroom, washed my hands, then ate. I had jerk chicken, so I was eating with my hands. My mom did not get sick, but she did not eat anything on the island.

Oy vey...what an experience that was!! We too were on Liberty, March 2 -9 and my son started throwing up at 1:00am, then my husband and my daughter shortly after that. We ate at Margaritaville and had Nachos, I had a frozen drink and the kids had shirley temples. I was the only one who didn't get sick though, so we thought it may have been the ice in the kids drinks, as my husband had some?? I dunno?? It was awful though, for they couldn't stop being sick and we had to get off the ship, rent a car and drive to Orlando. Certainly don't want to do that one again!!

My 19yo daughter had the coconut shrimp at Margaritaville on Thurs 3/7 at Grand Turk. I had a frozen daiquiri. About 4am Friday morning, she was awake with nausea and vomiting. By breakfast, she was fine. I felt a little queasy most of the day Friday. My son didn't get sick at all. He didn't eat at M'ville.

Really love Grand Turk--it was such a beautiful day there. I hate to think how this is affecting their economy.

We do the same !!

Archived