Tethering in Grand Cayman??

BeachLover3

Tendering

you get to shore by riding a tender

" Nautical A vessel attendant on other vessels, especially one that ferries supplies between ship and shore. "

it happens but I'd not venture to give you a percentage

it happens more in the winter than in the summer

I've missed GC propably 1/2 the times we were supposed to visit, but that's more a statement of when I cruised than an accurate percentage of time tendering could not be done.

It is weather driven and depends not only on the wind/seas stength but in a large part what direction these are coming from. Georgetown is on the west side of the island so when the weather is out of the east, the ship area and Seven Mile Beach is "in the lee" and conditions are generally favorable. When things shift around and come from the west or the south it can become to ruff to safetly transfer folks to/fom the tenders . . .

Sometimes ships will cancel this visit early too - a full day out ... because there's been a couple of days in a row where conditions are bad. By changing plans a day b4, sometimes they can visit an alternate port. We've twice ended up in Cozumel in lieu of Cayman in this way. But the ship can't get to Cayman, see it is bad conditions and then say, let's go to Cozumel - because of the distances ... the decision to change must be made well in advance. Not like saying movie theater 1 is full so let's go watch what's on screen #2 right next door... If you get to Cayman and can not tender, the only option is a sea day . . .

In discussions with the cruise lines the oft quoted threshold for cruise lines being willing to schedule at a tender port is 95% of the days must be suitable for tendering.

95% of 365 = 347. That allows for 18 days per year with unsuitable conditions.

However those 18 days are not evenly spread throughout the year. Most occur during the peak winter cruise season. There are more ships scheduled per day during this peak season. Therefore more than 5% of scheduled cruise calls can be canceled due to weather.

I've cruised to Grand Cayman 6 times and only once did we have to sail on by. We did have one trip that we went around to Spotts and tendered in there, but they would only let two ships in that day. Luckily ours was one of them Three sailed away. Unluckily, it was cool and really windy and all watersports were cancelled for the day, so we just wandered around town a bit then headed back. We were really dissappointed, as we are huge fans of the snorkeling around Cayman. At least we got to go.....the other ships got another day at sea.

Yep .... that's the "page two"

and it also applies to most cruise 'private islands'

if you are just on the edge of tendering being possible ..... trust me, you don't want to be on the island! Probably the Master can find clear skys and smooth seas not too many miles away .... and steam in circles but give you a BETTER day.

We have been 1 for 4 as for stoping at GC. It almost became a joking matter amoung us. The cruise we took in December 2012 was our first time on the Island in 4 attempts. We had a fantastic visit.

Previously I wondered why we could see other ships at the Island when we would sail by, now I know thanks to earlier posts.

We have a stop scheduled on our cruise next month so our fingers are crossed that we get in.

Archived