ALL Carnival Corp Ships To Get Upgraded Emergency Generators

Spaniel Lover

markdacunha-gbshipyard-0114-small-920x613.jpg

The Grand Bahamas shipyard is actually a very interesting story!

Believe it or not... it is jointly owned by Carnival Corp (40%), Royal Caribbean (40%), and the Grand Bahama Port Authority (20%). Yes, that's right... arch-rivals Carnival and Royal Caribbean are co-owners! Isn't that interesting?

In case you think I'm making that up... you can read about it here. There's also another interesting article about the shipyard here.

And if you ever take a cruise that stops at Freeport... bring some binoculars and you can get a first-hand look at the shipyard yourself.

Edited by Spaniel Lover

Carnival Corp. is a co-owner of the Grand Bahamas ship yard... so that is where most Carnival ships go when they need work done. It keeps the money within the corporation that way.

They dont usually send their ships to Europe. Most seems to be done in the Bahamas.

Bill

Again, the term "drydock" is used pretty freely by cruisers. All ships have to either drydock or have an underwater survey by divers every 2.5 years. Cruise ships tend not to do underwater surveys, so they will drydock every 2.5 years. Major renovations or even refurbishments (freshening up) of the hotel does not require drydocking, just a shipyard period. Only work below the waterline (paint, propellers, etc) requires a drydock. Where will Carnival do their shipyards, with the upgrades? Can't say. A lot depends on their working relationship with the yards (and after the latest fiasco in Italy, I'm not sure they are up on Fincantieri) and the cost factor involved.

From my understanding, Carnival has pretty much abandoned Europe altogether due to the emissions control requirements that are now mirroring the US emission controls which require the use of low sulfur diesel fuel within 200 miles of the US coast. The last I'd heard, while the North Sea and Baltics have had emission control zones for years, the rest of Europe, including the Med are now enforcing these as well. While Carnival can't abandon the US completely (as this is their largest demographic), they have abandoned ports like Baltimore due to extended times within the US ECA, they can get out of Europe without loss of revenue since the demographic has bottomed due to the economy.

To answer your question, they may have some Med cruises, but I would doubt it.

Thanks guys for the info, even tho it really isn't what I "want" to hear. Now I must try to find a cruise line similar to Carnival's "Fun Ship" style. I'm not overly excited about that. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone verified that these gensets are actually able to work? Does the ship have the cabling to tie these into the ships wiring? Are they able to supply fuel to it?

that might explain why they are so hush-hush about it - they haven't actually been hooked up yet!

Has anyone verified that these gensets are actually able to work? Does the ship have the cabling to tie these into the ships wiring? Are they able to supply fuel to it?

that might explain why they are so hush-hush about it - they haven't actually been hooked up yet!

I can't say for sure, but from the pix posted in post #60, I can see some blue tarp wrapped connections at the right end of the container, which looks to me to be the electrical cabling down to the emergency generator room. The container will have its own fuel tank (maybe 8 hours or so), which would be filled up by the same piping (with a minor extension) as filling the emergency generator fuel tank. The real big question is how they have "extended" the amount of equipment powered either by the emergency bus or by this new generator. That is what would take the major amount of time, to provide transfer switching between normal power and "back-up power" for systems whose electrical controls are dispersed throughout the ship. For example, for each fire zone on the ship, there is generally a separate lighting power panel, and a separate equipment power panel (elevators, fans, A/C, pumps, galleys, etc, etc). So they may have to run cabling to several of these power panels to get the coverage of guest service equipment that they want.

I can't say for sure, but from the pix posted in post #60, I can see some blue tarp wrapped connections at the right end of the container, which looks to me to be the electrical cabling down to the emergency generator room. The container will have its own fuel tank (maybe 8 hours or so), which would be filled up by the same piping (with a minor extension) as filling the emergency generator fuel tank. The real big question is how they have "extended" the amount of equipment powered either by the emergency bus or by this new generator. That is what would take the major amount of time, to provide transfer switching between normal power and "back-up power" for systems whose electrical controls are dispersed throughout the ship. For example, for each fire zone on the ship, there is generally a separate lighting power panel, and a separate equipment power panel (elevators, fans, A/C, pumps, galleys, etc, etc). So they may have to run cabling to several of these power panels to get the coverage of guest service equipment that they want.

I knew it would not be simple to tie into the electrical system but I had not considered it would be that involved. That is a major undertaking.

A somewhat simpler solution would be to tie the new, larger generator to the existing emergency bus, and then change the interlock logic to allow "feedback" from the emergency bus (480v) to the main ship's 480v bus. This would still possibly require new, larger cabling on the bus tie (between the emergency and main buses) (from up where the new generator is, down to the main switchboards around deck 3 just above the engine room) to allow a larger generator to provide more power (current) through the bus tie back to power the main bus. The main 480v bus powers all lighting, and all equipment other than the propulsion motors, thrusters, and A/C units. Still not sure how they plan to power the A/C, as the fans are 480v, but the cooling compressors are generally 10,000v motors, and the new generators would not have enough power for these.