REVIEW - Navigator out of NOLA - March 2013 with pictures! Questions welcome!

IMG_1210.jpg

They captain was very nice and visable throughout the trip. Can't complain about that at all. And really, everyone was very friendly on the ship.

The only thing, ship-wise, I hated was that the channel that shows "where you are" during your cruise stopped working in the first port. I really hated that. I enjoy waking up each morning to the "ship" channel to see where we are in relation to the globe.

While I'm at it I guess I'll have to address our two complaints about the trip....

Dining Room Attire.... and the hot tub...

Yes... I know it's been discussed before but I feel the need to touch on it again. Formal night is anything but formal but the cruise lines are stuck! What do they do? Do they turn people away who may choose another cruise line the next time?

We didn't see anything too terrible but we did notice a head waiter that made a teenager go back to the room to change because he came in wearing a tank-top and a backwards ball cap. Please????

However we did see shorts, jeans, and it generally felt more casual than the other cruises we've taken. My dad wore a tux on formal night and felt out of place. He enjoys dressing up so I felt a little sorry for him in that regard.

The biggest complaint came from the solarium. How many times have you cruised and enjoyed a beer or other drink while lounging in the hot tub? NO sir.... not on Navigator.

TWICE we were told we wouldn't be able to have a drink in the hot tub? REALLY????

The sign clearly says no GLASSware... we had alumnium bottles and plastic cups. We even saw a waiter serve a drink to someone in the hot tub only to have the "pool patrol" come by and ask them to get out. For the life of me we couldn't figure this out.

We talked to one waiter and finally got it streight that this employee was new and wasn't clear on the rules. Odd....

Our biggest secret on the ship was the GYM hot tub! You certainly can't have a drink in the gym, but if you want to get out of the wind and into a wonderful hot tub... try the gym... trust me!

It's deeper than the one in the pool deck and hardly anyone ever gets in it. You won't be sorry!

What about smoking in the Dungeon... was it allowed?

Also, how about our Blue Raiders making the NCAA tournament?! :D

Honestly, the only time I made it into the Dungeon was for the Meet and Mingle. I'd have to say you would be able to smoke in there but I'm not certain.

AND SHOOT YEAH about my blue raiders!!! How cool is that? I want them to win the play-in game so badly so they'll face MEMPHIS next.... :D

Honestly, the only time I made it into the Dungeon was for the Meet and Mingle. I'd have to say you would be able to smoke in there but I'm not certain.

AND SHOOT YEAH about my blue raiders!!! How cool is that? I want them to win the play-in game so badly so they'll face MEMPHIS next.... :D

I have no been able to find any information about smoking in there. I would love to hang out there after dinner, but cannot deal with smoking! Guess I will find out soon enough...

I feel pretty good about MTSU winning the play-in game, but Memphis will be tough!

Great review so far! I'm subscribing to this thread. I just came back from the Mariner yesterday (LOVED IT!) and am planning to take the Navigator next March.

Great! Glad you are enjoying it! I'm about to start writing about the ports... stay tuned! :D

Port Number 1 - Falmouth, Jamaica

As a person who's been to Jamaica nearly 10 times, I have a REAL love for the people here. I've always done Sandals All Inclusive Resorts (Whitehouse, Riviera, and Royal Plantation) and can't get enough of that type of vacation.

We've sort of "morphed" a cruise into that type of vacation to make it work for our family trip. It's just the way we like to do it!

That being said, we weren't real interested in hopping on a bus to raft a river or climb dunn's river falls. We've done that! Heck, my wife didn't even want to get off the ship! :eek:

That being said, I always like to do a little exploring. if nothing else just to talk to the people. I'm glad we did!

We got off the ship after the mad rush and watched all the taxi's leave the port town for Ocho rios and montego bay. Still a sore subject with me!

We promptly went into the duty free shop to price our liquor. I KNEW Grand Cayman would be cheaper but I just had to buy some Jamaican Rum Cream! Ended up getting that and saw that Absolute Vodka was 2 liters for $30. (Same price as the ship). Then I saw in Cayman the next day I could get it for 2 for $20. WOO HOO!!!!

For those interested in duty free liquor price shopping, then Rum Point shop in Cayman really does have the best prices. $26 for a 1.75 liter of Jack Daniels and 2 liters of Makers Mark for $50. Really is a steal.

ANYWAY... back to Jamaica....

Found this to be fun.... go to the duty free store, get a $3 bottle of Appleton Jamaican Rum... buy a can coke... THEN (IMPORTANT) find the guy pushing the slurpee cart around the port... offer him a dollar for a cup of ice....

RESULTS??? :D

IMG_5537Small.jpg

We had a very enjoyable time sitting at the picnic table and talking to the nice man who was making baskets and other items from the "five finger vine". he's happy to tell you how he makes his craft and will even let you give it a try! I bought a tea-cup and a cross. He said they were $5 each... I gave him $6 each and we continued our conversation. Super guy!

Now... Margarittaville...

IMG_5536Small.jpg

There has been much discussion on CC about this place. Boy... not what I was expecting. Certainly nothing like the one in Montego Bay. We didn't even head into the bar. It's got a small shop but with our "homemade happy hour" going on we didn't feel the need to stay. But, for those that want to see it... there it is!

We then walked around to the back of the port to scope things out. I'm sure we could have even walked out of the complex but didn't feel the need. We really weren't shopping for anything so decided to skip it and walk around inside the port for a while. Make sure to check out the aft of the ship!

IMG_5529Small.jpg

The walk-way to the town....

IMG_5528Small.jpg

After Jamaica we headed right off for Grand Cayman. I didn't have any intention of taking the tender into port but with my duty free shopping list in hand I decided to give it a whirl....

There were 3 other ships in port while we were there. Actually I think the Carnival mishap was supposed to be in port with us but obviously wasn't there.

IMG_5553Small.jpg

We, again, waited for the rush of the tender ships and then made our way in to have a look around.

IMG_5565Small.jpg

I looked in a few shops for fun, took a few pictures, and then went to three duty free shops to price shop. I thought they'd all be about the same but I was wrong! The place closest to the tenders was much more expensive than a place called Rum Stop. With a $50 purchase you get a free rum cake. That's a plus! And, they deliver your order to the ship for you. I was a little weary about doing that but it really was no big deal. The last day of the trip everything was in order in my cabin.

Now... on to the cabin review....

Our cabin was deck 8 right in the middle of the port side hump. We were one of those trying to decide between aft or hump and while we're glad we did these cabins this time, we've booked an aft to compare the difference for next year. I can see how the walking can get old because our hump location made it so darn easy to get around!

IMG_5467Small.jpg

This was our first cabin with a balcony. We've always had an interior or an ocean view. This time we splurged and won't go back!

We had plenty of room! However, we can share a trick to give you MORE room... see the table in the picture above? Next to the mirror?

(That's right... we moved it!!!!)

IMG_5468Small.jpg

We moved that darn thing into the closet! HA! We kept bumping into it and really didn't have a need for the table. It REALLY opens up the room when you're getting ready each evening. We just used the table on the balcony for our wine!

IMG_5494Small.jpg

It was also funny that while we were unpacking our bags I got a little scared because when I looked in the closet I couldn't find the safe!!!!

IMG_5466Small.jpg

::::COUGH::::: It's above the TV... :D

Just can't complain at all about the room. Water was hot, the AC worked, and everything was just wonderful.

The three things we bring on the trip to make the room better are....

1. Clothes Clips for the shower to dry bathing suits

2. A magnetic chip clip to hang the compass on the wall each day

3. gel air fresheners (see on table in closet) to take the funk out of the dirty clothes!

Next... Cozumel....

The Navigator was our first and favorite ship so I'm following your review with a little bit of melancholy. Thanks for the picture from your balcony because we're going to have our first hump cabin in three weeks on the Adventure. We aren't right in the middle but just to the left of the middle. And you got a picture of where we sat in Chops but we were there earlier in the day so it was still daylight. We had the pleasure of watching dolphins run alongside the ship while we enjoyed our fantastic meal. :)

Looking forward to the rest of the review -- counting down the days until I'm following in your footsteps!

You'll have an amazing time! So unique to follow the Mississippi River. Great crew! Only hope you have Jose' (From India... HA!) as your assistant waiter.... :D

The Navigator was our first and favorite ship so I'm following your review with a little bit of melancholy. Thanks for the picture from your balcony because we're going to have our first hump cabin in three weeks on the Adventure. We aren't right in the middle but just to the left of the middle. And you got a picture of where we sat in Chops but we were there earlier in the day so it was still daylight. We had the pleasure of watching dolphins run alongside the ship while we enjoyed our fantastic meal. :)

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm sure your balcony will be great. If anything I think we may have preferred to be one more cabin to the left. But it was still cool that they opened the divider for us.

We never saw dolphins but we sure tried to look!

Saw some fish... I guess they were fish... that would fly along the waves and dive back into the water. Strangest thing I've seen.... but maybe it had something to do with the torched cherry rum!!!! :eek:

Found this to be fun.... go to the duty free store, get a $3 bottle of Appleton Jamaican Rum... buy a can coke... THEN (IMPORTANT) find the guy pushing the slurpee cart around the port... offer him a dollar for a cup of ice....

RESULTS??? :D

IMG_5537Small.jpg

The words on the Coke can are perfect for the picture, too!:)

Enjoying the review!

IMG_1245.jpg

Even though the Jewel left grand cayman before we did it turned out that we made it into port in Cozumel first. I was PUMPED that the port side was against the dock so I was able to see the dock activity. Then we were able to see Jewel sail into the pier right next to us. This made for some VERY fun "running of the drunks" back to the ship later in the afternoon.... :D

We decided to spend the day at Nachi Cocom Beach club once again this year. It was a litter cooler this year with the wind picking up.

Here is my full review from Trip Advisor on Nachi....

We stayed here for the day last year for a cruise and we've enjoyed it each time. However, maybe it's just me, but we may try somewhere else the next time we cruise into Cozumel.

The reservations are a breeze and as long as you bring your paperwork and have exact cash you will be fine.

For the four of us it costs $16 each way and we just gave the cabbie a $20 each time. Not hard to get a cab here and it's not a long drive.

After checking in we were given a great seat in the shade and immediatly the drinks starting coming. Mimosa's to start and then on to beers and even jack and coke! Plenty of choices for everyone.

Lunch, again, was the star. We enjoyed our food very much and had a relaxing time.

The only thing that really annoyed me was the hot tub. There's even a sign over the hot tub that says ADULTS only but I wish I was brave enough to say something or at least take a picture... there may have been 12 kids swimming laps in the hot tub. Granted it was windy and the pool was chilly, but still, why have the rule if you don't enforce it? Never got the chance to sit in the hot tub myself because of the kids.

I think we were here in May last year and paid $45 per person. This year it was $55 per person and I'm starting to think we could spend our money elsewhere and a do a little better. However, if you want to be assured of having a small crowd and good service maybe this is the place for you!

Just remember to bring towels from the ship and I bought my own snorkle gear to swim off shore. Not MUCH to see but I did see some reef and some fish. Enough to say we had a good time.

They also had wi-fi this year. They charge $5 for an all day access code but if you have to be in the lunch area to get access. It's slow, but you can at least check facebook and email if you need to.

Finally, just let your server know when you need a cab and one will be waiting for your return trip. Really couldn't be easier.

IMG_1235.jpg

And the FOOD was great!!!!!

IMG_1241.jpg

After a full day at Nachi we grabbed our cab back to do a little shopping in port. The cabbie actually dropped us across the street and behind a shopping center that we had to WALK through to get back to the ship. I'm not sure if this is just easier for him as far as traffic is concerned or because he has a "friend" at the shops. Maybe both?

Either way we bought a few items and headed back to the ship for the real fun!

Turns out we were to sail away at 5:30 but by 6:00pm we were still sitting there. Everything was tied off and the captain was looking quite angry from the bridge....

IMG_5635Small.jpg

(Jewel - not navigator)

We were half expecting to see a bunch of college kids stumbling back to the ship.... but.....

Turns out it was a family of four with two small kids holding the ship up. The dad was RUNNING... mom wasn't.... and we "Jeered" them as they made their way on board.

But NOTHING was as funny as this guy...

IMG_5652Small.jpg

He kept stumbling back to the Jewel and kept losing his hat... the wind was FIERCE and he kept having to go back to get it.... the best part was when another guy lost his ballcap and sombrero Joe as he was called... saved the day!!! Big cheers from both ships!

Saw some fish... I guess they were fish... that would fly along the waves and dive back into the water. Strangest thing I've seen.... but maybe it had something to do with the torched cherry rum!!!! :eek:

HA-HA - it wasn't the torched cherry rum! We saw those too - the flying fish. And I hadn't had anything to drink! We only saw dolphins that one time but I'm always looking. It was a really cool experience to see them and hope to see more in the future. When we went on an Alaskan cruise, someone would go on the loudspeaker to let passengers know when whales were spotted and we were like crazy people running over to see them. I wish someone would do that when dolphins or other creatures are spotted.

My wife and I started cruising because we hated the all inclusive food. We love RC food. We have never tried Sandals. Isn't it way more expensive than this cruise for a week? Also, which food is better? Great review by the way.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

My wife and I started cruising because we hated the all inclusive food. We love RC food. We have never tried Sandals. Isn't it way more expensive than this cruise for a week? Also, which food is better? Great review by the way.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I can honestly stay that the AI option is starting to get less expensive than cruising in a balcony cabin for some sailings. It depends on a few things....

In regards to cost....

Our cabin cost about $2100 after taxes for a balcony room. We thought we got a pretty good deal! But, we ended up getting a drink when we wanted it, visited chops, johnny rockets, and after a week our sea pass bill was about $550. (It was just $450 after our $100 OBC)

When you add the $168 in mandatory grats (No grats at sandals resorts) and the $55pp beach break in Cozumel our final bill ended up being around $2900 for the week.

Now, for us the cruise does make sense because we can drive to the port. Obviously we have to fly (I use frequent flier miles) to Jamaica. But if you have to fly to a port to cruise out of anyway you just need to price shop and decide which one is for you.

Look up Sandals Royal Plantation. it's our favorite by far and the food is as good if not better than RC's main dining room. We love them both! It just depends on the deal you can find. We are more laid back and enjoy having a butler, fine dining (alone!), and unlimited premium alcohol at the AI resorts.

That being said... we've stayed at a TERRIBLE AI resort in Jamaica because we were bumped off a flight. No thanks....

As in all things... research is key!

Thanks for the kind words.

A week at sandals in a basic room can run you anywhere from $2500 on the low end up room (still nice!) up to over $5,000! :eek:

It really is all over the place. But for a great time at a place like Sandals Whitehouse it'll cost around $3,000. That includes all tips, drinks, food, airport transfers, entertainment, taxes... everything.

I literally put my wallet in the safe as soon as I get to the resort and don't pull it out until we leave. That's my pet peeve about cruising... hate signing all those receipts and seeing the cost! :D

We have gone to Sandals in Jamaica & really enjoyed it. The food was good & it was nice for my husband to grab a drink whenever he wanted (without the dreaded receipt). But, we were only there for 4 days...I would have been bored if we stayed much longer. On the other hand, I would rather take a cruise since you wake up somewhere new each day, and have plenty to do. Our cruises are our family vacation since we have a teenage son, but Sandals was nice for a shorter, adult only vacation.

We have gone to Sandals in Jamaica & really enjoyed it. The food was good & it was nice for my husband to grab a drink whenever he wanted (without the dreaded receipt). But, we were only there for 4 days...I would have been bored if we stayed much longer. On the other hand, I would rather take a cruise since you wake up somewhere new each day, and have plenty to do. Our cruises are our family vacation since we have a teenage son, but Sandals was nice for a shorter, adult only vacation.

Certainly agree with you there! We did 5 nights for our honeymoon and continued the next two years with 5 night trips to Sandals Whitehouse and even when with the in-laws. For an adults trip it can't be beat. If you go with your parents or even another couple there is no grabbing for the bill at the end of the meal or worrying about having "just one more drink". Ha! It really is a slower and more relaxing vacation than a cruise in my opinion. Less crowds and more care-free. Talk about not having a schedule! :D

However, with kids they do have the Beaches line of resorts but that can be VERY expensive.

As far as cruising goes, I do love the romance of being on the open ocean and seeing a new place each day but for some reason I just can't un-wind and relax like I can at Sandals in Jamaica. The main dining room food is good, but I wouldn't call it romantic! Sandals meals are like eating at Chops or Portinifo each night without any kids around. We like that! :rolleyes:

But it's great to have choices and to be able to mix it up a bit! We love both and can't wait for our next great adventure!

Now to continue the review! :D

After we got back on board the ship from cozumel I was delighted to see that the cake I ordered for my dad was in his cabin. I just did this from gifts and gear and it only cost $12.95. WELL WORTH it.... it was to celebrate his retirement and it really was good. Better than the cake at Windjammer for sure. We ended up eating off it for the next two days. My mom even wanted to take it off the ship with her but I insisted that probably wasn't a good idea!

IMG_5649Small.jpg

I took the final sea day as an opportunity to see the rest of the ship. It was a weird feeling when we got back into New Orleans. The last cruise I went on I felt the need to run around the ship "one last time" to see it again, but this time it felt like a familier friend that I could leave with the hopes to see again someday. Either way, I'd like to share a couple... NOT TO BE MISSED items if you sail on her someday...

I mentioned the gym hot tub before but didn't post a picture... here she is....

IMG_5597Small.jpg

If it's a cold or windy day outside and the spa's are JAMMED outside on the pool deck, you gotta try this one. We were NEVER in the hot tub with anyone else on about 4 occasions. You can't take drinks in there obviously but it was a great spot to warm the chilled bones!

Also... don't miss the bridge!!! How did I not know about this? You can go up during the day and look down on the bridge. It was great and we didn't have to pay $150 per person for the tour!! HA HA! :eek:

IMG_5588Small.jpg

I even zoomed in so I could see what was on the screen when I got home!

IMG_5591Small.jpg

This was taken in Grand Cayman... can you spot the other three ships in port on the sonar? Pretty cool!

In conclusion there is a TON to like about this ship. We felt it was just the right size.

IMG_5451Small.jpg

The shows were average to us, but my parents seemed to enjoy them so that's what matters. The drinks were good except for the frozen ones. We typically stay away from those anyway so we learned out lesson there. Basically just tasted like ice without any alcohol in it. Egh!

We did like the few specials we did see!

IMG_5573Small.jpg

We found the bar service to be good in general. But sometimes you just have to ask instead of being waited on. True anywhere I guess but that's a lesson we've learned to accept over our travel.

The cabin was great and the staff was just wonderful. Our cabin attendant, while he didn't do anything over the top, was exactly what we liked and didn't "try to hard" if that makes sense. And, our waiters were just wonderful in the MDR.

Check in and check out were a breeze.... if you have any specific questions I'm HAPPY to answer them in hopes I can pay it forward to all of those who helped me before we cruised.

Now.... to NEW ORLEANS! :)

We spent the night (Saturday) in New Orleans so we would have a day to explore the city. I had been before, but I was much younger (teens) so this was a new day all togehter!

After coming into port we walked the two blocks (LONGEST OF OUR LIVES) to the Embassy Suites. It's just two blocks, but with bags and after you had to claim them and walk out of the port... we were tired!

As for the baggage claim.... i'm telling you folks, it's a ZOO. The bags were all lined up and there were more people in that room than should have been fit.

I guess the secret is to get a porter. We didnt but we should have. They are able to grab the bags and go out of the "emergency exit" (weird, right?) and they go to a seperate customs desk just for people with porters.

Even though it was crowded the customs line moved faster than any I've ever been through. We were out the door in NO time....

IMG_5679Small.jpg

New Orleans was fun! On a Saturday morning it was a bit crowded but as we covered ourselves with powdered suger and listened to free music I could tell why this place is such a great town. Everyone was VERY nice...

We walkd bourbon street and saw a cemetary and checked a few things off our list to see, but made it back to the hotel in time to check-in.

IMG_5682Small.jpg

We realized it was about time for the muster drill for the NEXT sailing and with frozen daquri in hand we made it back to the pier to watch her sail away with a new group of cruisers.

I simply can't wrap my head around what it's like to be a crew member on a cruise ship. Every week a new group of people with their volume knob cranked to 10.... every day the same outfit.... but everyday a new adventure!

Until next time!

IMG_5700Small.jpg

Archived