How to get an aft cabin on Star?

ltturner

My husband and I booked an AG GTY on the 11/25 sailing of the Star to the Mexican Riviera and were instantly upgraded to an AF cabin, 11016, very near the front of the ship. Woohoo! Can't complain about that, right? Well....

I've been reading all the great advice on the CC Boards and remembering how much we coveted those aft cabins on our last cruise. The price difference to upgrade is a bit steep, but I've been reading about upsells. What is the likelihood that an AE cabin or above would be available for an upsell closer to our sail date? I plan to contact my TA and ask him to mark our reservation to show we'd be interested in an upsell.

I was thinking I would be amenable to a BA aft cabin, but hubby says he would miss the extra space. Is there that much difference in space? I don't think we'd miss the concierge service. But how does one snag those aft cabins?

Thanks so much to all of you for all the great information you share! This cruise is going to be a blast!

Amy

The best advice I can give you is to book early. Really early! There are only six of these cabins available and they don't last long. If I wanted one I would book the day they first started accepting reservations for the sailing I wanted. (I booked our aft balcony on the Star to Alaska June 26, 2005 in April 2004. )

I would think all the aft cabins will be gone before upsells start. They are very popular so I think people will choose this category/cabin and pay for it. If you want one badly, then I suggest you pay the difference and get the cabin of your choice now. If you wait for an upsell into it, I don't think it will happen. Happy Sailing!

I noticed on our April Cruise on the STAR about 2 weeks after final payments were due that a few aft BA cabins opened up and actually appeared on the NCL on line site. They didn't last long and they were snapped up. I'm assuming that whom ever originally booked the cabins had been offered an upgrade that they couldn't refuse.

We were offered a nice upgrade at a reasonable price but kept the aft BA and loved it.

I noticed on our April Cruise on the STAR about 2 weeks after final payments were due that a few aft BA cabins opened up and actually appeared on the NCL on line site. They didn't last long and they were snapped up. I'm assuming that whom ever originally booked the cabins had been offered an upgrade that they couldn't refuse.

We were offered a nice upgrade at a reasonable price but kept the aft BA and loved it.

Same thing happened to me on the Sun. The difference I could not pass up the upgrade and someone ended up with a beautiful aft cabin one month before sailing :)

all this discussion about AFT cabins, and I was just booked in cabin #8165 (Cat. J, inside) on the STAR for our cruise 11/1/05. This is the FURTHEST back inside cabin on the deck. Is this a good location? It is over the gallaria stores which is fine, and just a short walk to the stairs down 1 deck to the Red Lion Pub.....which is good for me! LOL

Thanks, Bob

Archived