Mariner of the Seas | May 6 2013 | Barcelona - Dubai

goodclicks

Hi Craig

Just booked a few days ago. There is a fantastic roll-call for this cruise (haven't had time to check it all out) but we did sign up for the "meet & mingle".

This is a milestone birthday for me (the big 6 :) ) and Petra is one place I have always wanted to visit.

Born in Northern Ireland with Scottish ancestry, I'm sure that we have a lot in common.

Tony & I would appreciate any advice you have about Petra.

Looking forward to meeting you.

All the best

Brian & Tony

A few Scots on board then! I'm just down the A76 from you, George. I'm a few miles from Dumfries.

Hi Brian and Tony. What can i help you with? I think there are a few on the ship who've been to Petra too so together we can hopefully give you some good advice. I went in January two years ago and it was quite cool. It'll be an awful lot warmer and busier in May. I took a private which seemed to be better than the ship's tours as, instead of rushing us out (a very long, uphill walk) to get a meal at a restaurant outside the gates we ate and took time to recuperate at the bottom of the site before making our own way back.

Hi Craig

Thanks for your offer of advice. Petra is the real reason that we are booking this cruise and I would like to be sure that we "do the right thing".

We would prefer a private tour. I know that we won't be able to avoid the crowds but maybe we could get there before the buses. Did you go to Wadi Rum on the same day...... or would that be too much? Do you remember the name of the local tour operator you used and would you recommend them? Did you buy local currency for your lunch and purchases or did you pay in UKL, EUR or USD?

In Safaga, I think that, given the present situation, we will opt for a ship's tour to Luxor. What do you think?

We have been to Alexandria (and Cairo) numerous times so I think that we shall just take it easy there. We are staying two days in Dubai post cruise.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for your help

B & T

I think you have the right idea. I used Petra Nights for the tour two years ago. I think there were slighty mixed reports last year from them... I can't quite remember why... If i recall I'll get back to you. You should be able to get there before the ship's tours and spend longer too as you'll lunch inside Petra rather than being rushed out for lunch outside the gates. Lunch is included usually, but not drinks. I can't remember how i paid but dollars are accepted (you usually get a better deal in local currency however.

If you have a private tour you can stay longer in Petra and enjoy the quiet after the ship's tours have departed. I think seeing Wadi Rum too will be tight. We took the time to have an easier, slower walk in Petra and saw Wadi rum from the main road rather than head into it. The scenery from the road is pretty spectacular anyways, and if you have seen Monument Valey I don't think Wadi Rum will be so different (from reports from people who were there). Having said that I am looking for something different to do this time after Petra the first year and scuba diving (absolutely wonderful) last year, so i may find a tour of Wadi Rum, or a trip to the Dead Sea if i can find someone else interested in sharing that.

A coach to go to Luxor will be a good idea too. It's a very long drive on some rough roads - around 8 hours total! - and the minibuses used by the private tours are not as comfortable.

I too have been to Cairo a few times and had a tour of Alexandria last year so i could do to find something different to do there this year.

Many thanks Craig for your help.

I'll get the ball rolling on our private tour with Petra Night.

I'll also look and see if there is anything different we could do in Alexandria and let you know.

Best regards

B & T

Hi George

My goodness, with all your cruises, I wonder if you are ever at home !!!

You seem to be the Royal Caribbean expert.

We are thinking of taking the drinks package. Did you take it and was it worth it at the price?

Many thanks

Brian & Tony

Belatedly that's my flights sorted out: I'm flying to Madrid on 3rd of May using my Avios miles and then taking the high-speed train to Barcelona. I'm flying back to Edinburgh on 22nd May with a stop for 20 hours sightseeing in Istanbul halfway. Even when I fly these days I can't help but turn it into a port-day-style sightseeing trip!

• 2 weeks later...
hi all, my friend Jerry and I will be on the crossing to Barcelona and then on to Dubai, looking forward to meeting all of you.

Roberto

Hello boys, will C U onboard. Men in kilts too...wow! Craig, you've a clan this voyage ;)

sumorai thanks for the welcum looking forward to meeting you.

Was in Australia four time in last two years on the Rhapsody and the Radiance of the Seas. Have always had a good time their :)

Roberto & Jerry

Same same...it's good to catch up again since 2010 transpacific crossing on Rhapsody...she is a lot prettier since her refurb. It's our RC 1st and sentimental favorite. That might change...embarking Oasis today ;)

It's getting closer!

Does everyone have their plans for the ports in place now?

I haven't organised anything for Alexandria/Cairo. Maybe I should think about joining Joey's tour to the Egyptian Museum if there's still a space available. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I think for Safaga I'd like to join a snorkelling or diving excursion. Does anyone have something planned already that I could tag along on?

Aqaba I think I'm set for a trip to the Dead Sea.

And i'm running out of ideas for Dubai too.

It's not so long! I'd better get things organised!

Hi Craig

I contacted Petra Night Tours and they quoted 265$ for a private tour for two or 189$ for 4 (only Petra, not Wadi Rum). It is more expensive than their website because we wanted more time in Petra (guide for 6 hours), and NO shopping !!!

He is asking for an upfront payment so I haven't yet made a decision in case there are others who are interested.

Better start getting my act together.

All the best

B&T

I was impressed with Petra Nights two years ago. PN do seem to operate with a payment - I think that's because they pre-purchase the tickets for Petra (which are very high cost).

I think this site will be quiet know as so many seem to have boarded in Galveston today.

Hi George.

Ah, you were on Indie with Roger and Martin? I can't keep up!

I'm actually flying to Madrid from Edinburgh via London City (on Avios miles) for 2 nights and then taking the AVE to Barcelona the day before, staying in the Axel.

Homeward bound I have a night in Dubai and then getting a Turkish Airlines flight to Istanbul, a night there and then into Edinburgh. Their one-way fare was half of Emirate's. Only drawback is, if the adverts are to be believed, that it's full of Manchester United footballers.

I've still accommodation to sort for Dubai and Istanbul. And tours too - I'm very disorganised this trip.

See you in a fortnight!

Any ideas for an informal get-together? All ideas welcome. Most of you seem to know each other from previous cruises.

On our last (and, only, up till now) cruise on RCCL, there was no mention of FOD or LGBT meetings in the Compass "daily" - (Brilliance of the Seas). About 3/4 way through the cruise we looked at a notice board near reception and found that there was a thriving gathering every evening in the Champagne Bar.

Wouldn't like to miss out this time :) Any suggestions?

I'm sure that the guys on the first leg of their B2B have already got their act together......

B&T

I'd imagine that by the time we board there will be a regular get together advertised on the board at reception. Keep an eye on it. If there isn't something up organise one yourselves! What I think is nice is a FOD's lunch get-together later in the cruise. Once we get through the Suez the temperature will be in the 40s at midday so it's nice to escape the heat for a lazy lunch. With notice the maitre'd is usually happy to keep a big table or two back.

I've finally got my port plans in place. I'll make an attempt at the Egyptian Museum again, then from Safaga I'll go scuba diving, and from Aqaba I've got a trip planned to the Dead Sea and the River Jordan baptism site of Christ.

Craig

I am also in the Axel arr Sat for two nights, do you want to share a taxi to the port ? as for tours this part of my trip I have nothing planned as did the Serenade in Jan and have been to Cairo and Luxor twice before.

The River Jordan Baptism site is fun, I did this two years ago when on a Holy Land cruise (look for the huge black rats where the people are in the water :eek: )

I am up for that lunch.

I'm glad to hear you've been to the baptism site and enjoyed it. Because it wasn't offered by the ship I was thinking it was rather ambitious for a day trip. I've had a bad experience in Aqaba and don't want a repeat! There's no fear of me having a dip in the water either, rats or no! Looking forward to a float on the Dead Sea though.

I've organised a scuba diving trial from Safaga so I'm looking forward to that too. It's rather a longer day than I'd hoped for, but I guess we'll be at sea a longer time so that the experienced divers get to their sites and the beginners different sites too. It sounds like reasonable value at €50 for two dives & lunch and $20 for the road transportation. Join me if you fancy it?

Sharing a taxi would be a good idea. I'm not sure what I'm doing on the Monday yet. I thought perhaps an explore of the Gothic Quarter - but that depends on the Sunday night, I suppose! Email me at goodclicks @ yahoo. co.uk and we can swap numbers and see how the plans develop on the Monday.

Archived