Packing Tips

bostonian19

This trip I brought some magnets to hold our invitations and cruise compass up on the wall. Take address labels and use them on cameras or I pads and such. Hubby just lost his I pad on Sunday while leaving the ship. Went back onboard and it was gone. I lost my pedometer.

We've found a battery-operated tea light makes a good nightlight for the bathroom so if you get up at night, you don't have to turn on the "real" light and wake yourself up.:)

If you're going to Alaska, binoculars, layers, gloves and a water-resistant jacket are necessary. Southern cruises obviously different clothing. We've taken bug wipes (not spray) all places and never had to use it, though.

I pack one of those collapsible open cubes to throw my pocket things, ship card and sunglasses in.....easy to find and things don't fall off the desk. Someone on CC said they make their own out of cardboard and then pitch it but mine came from the dollar store so....

I love this nightlight idea! I'm going to go right now and put a couple in my toiletry bag!

I consider myself a bit of a (modesty aside) master packer and have even taken our family of 4 on many two week Christmas back to backs with one carryon each - yes, the kids do it kicking and screaming, but we have yet to lose luggage and walk off the ship without having to go through a warehouse full of suitcases. For the first time this March break, though, I tried the rolling all your clothes method before putting them in the suitcase. I was pretty skeptical, but it worked! I managed to get a lot more in to my suitcase than I ever had before.

I agree with what others have already posted - look at the lists that are on this board and determine what YOU think best works for you and your family. Sorry, guys, I've taken the highliter, taken the nightlight, taken the yellow stickies, taken the duct tape - haven't ever used 'em. On the other hand, the advice about taking a small digital alarm clock was the best advice ever!

If you place each outfit into a gallon sized zip lock, roll it up to squeeze all the air out, then zip it you can get WAY more items in a suitcase AND your clothes are organized by outfit.

Put your suitcases under the bed after you unpack for more cabin space.

You will have plenty of closet and drawer space in the room.

The issue is not the stateroom for us, but the 50 pound limit at the airport!

Awesome idea! How wrinkled are the clothes when you get them out? I am terrible at packing and was hoping to pick up some good tips here :o

Archived