Galveston park n cruise- indoors or outside?

bdkb

Looking at park n cruise based on great reviews here. We will be parking a rental car and was wondering how secure the lot is. Has anyone had any issues with using their outdoor parking lot?

I can't remember which lot we parked at but it was one of those open lots surrounded by a chain length fence like a park and ride at the airport. We paid the extra $10 or whatever it was for the "covered parking" and returned after a week to find our car just fine. No damage to the car. Didn't look like any of the other cars we passed had issues either. As long as you don't have anything out in the open that people would want to steal you should be ok.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to drop the car off at the airport and take a shuttle to the port? Paying for a rental and paying to park said rental seems like a waste of money to me.

you would think but the prices I got for 4 people to shuttle back and forth were crazy. We arrive 2 days early and did a 10 day care rental for under $200. This way we have the car to check out Galveston prior to cruising. A one way rental with Enterprise was $142, so for an extra $40 I have transportation back to the airport. Think Carnival was charging $37 pp.

The hotel we are staying at has free parking but they told me it would be around $20 both ways for a cab to the port. I figured for an extra $15 could have the car right there and ready to go back to Hobby. No waiting for a cab.

I think figuring out the ground transportation was the most time consuming part of planning this vacation.

you would think but the prices I got for 4 people to shuttle back and forth were crazy. We arrive 2 days early and did a 10 day care rental for under $200. This way we have the car to check out Galveston prior to cruising. A one way rental with Enterprise was $142, so for an extra $40 I have transportation back to the airport. Think Carnival was charging $37 pp.

The hotel we are staying at has free parking but they told me it would be around $20 both ways for a cab to the port. I figured for an extra $15 could have the car right there and ready to go back to Hobby. No waiting for a cab.

I think figuring out the ground transportation was the most time consuming part of planning this vacation.

If it was me, I would just get the car for the days before the cruise. Then on the day of departure drop everyone off at the pier (or at leave them at hotel if they have a port shuttle) and take the car back to the airport. Then hop the cruise line shuttle (or some other way) back to the port for one person. On the return, assuming you are flying home the same day as the ship returns, just grab a cab and go. By the time you get the car, drive to Hobby and return car not sure how much time you would save by not just grabbing a cab. Now if you were flying into the big airport, that is a whole different story. :cool:

We used Park-N-Cruise just last week and had no problems at all. We did the inside parking. We have a full-size, four door truck and it took just a little maneuvering to back into our spot because of support posts, but had plenty of room between the vehicles. From what I understand, once all vehicles are in, they close and lock doors and they are not opened until the morning the ship comes back in. There were a couple of motorized carts to give you a ride or help with luggage if you wanted it (only in the parking areas, not across the street to the port). It was very convenient to walk right across the street. There is a railroad track to cross but it was not a problem pulling our wheeled luggage. Would definitely recommend Park-N-Cruise.

If it was me, I would just get the car for the days before the cruise. Then on the day of departure drop everyone off at the pier (or at leave them at hotel if they have a port shuttle) and take the car back to the airport. Then hop the cruise line shuttle (or some other way) back to the port for one person. On the return, assuming you are flying home the same day as the ship returns, just grab a cab and go. By the time you get the car, drive to Hobby and return car not sure how much time you would save by not just grabbing a cab. Now if you were flying into the big airport, that is a whole different story. :cool:

I did the same as BDKB and rented a car for 9 days for under $200 and am parking the rental at the Park N Cruise. Like BDKB, I spent an enormous amount of time exploring all different transportation options, including combinations of shuttles and/or one way car rentals, taxis etc. The weekly car rental/parking option was by far the cheapest, most convenient and flexible of all by far.

Incidentally, NO car rental companies are offering one way rentals to/from Galveston now, including Enterprise. Enterprise is the only car rental agency serving Galveston as far as I know. While convenient, a cab ride to/fr Hobby from Galveston would be big $$$.

Archived