Novice Snorkeler

justacruisin

I am a novice snorkeler who wants to snorkel in St. Thomas when visiting there on a Royal Caribbean cruise and need some advice from others who have taken some of the cruise snorkel excursions. I realize my questions may sound kind of wierd but they're important to me.

I am not a young chickie and have only snorkeled a couple of times years and years ago -- off a beach in Florida. I really want to do this and have a good time and have promised my grandaughter I will snorkel with her in St. Thomas. But, I am worried about

1. Getting off a boat into 15 - 18 feet of water and no where to stand up during the entire experience. Is this difficult or do the boats anchor near a shore that I could swim to? Am looking at the Buck Island Snorkel Tour, the Turtle Cove Snorkel Tour. How long do you actually get to snorkel? Are there bathrooms on the boats?

2. I have also considered the John Beach Tour with Trunk Bay snorkeling but it seems from the postings that this beach is so congested and the snorkel time doesn't seem to be very long.

3. Have considered Megan's Bay but my grandaughter went there on her last cruise and wants to try something different.

Also, I'll just die if I see a really big fish -- want little pretty ones or turtles.

My son tells me not to take the ferry over to St. Johns to go to Caneel Bay; he's afraid I'll miss the ship and be stuck in St. Thomas.

Please, if someone could answer these questions, I'll be very grateful. Thanks!

How about Coki Beach?

I'm a novice snorkeler too, and had no difficulties there. All you do is walk from the beach right into the water to a depth where you feel comfortable and just go for it! I did not have to step into water over my head to see schools of fish.

Consider taking the "Godfrey Tour" and then have him drop you off at Coki. We took the Godrey tour as non cruiseship passengers and you had plenty of beach time at Coki. All cruiseship passengers on the tour with us were returned to their ships in plenty of time.

Linda grin.gif

NCL Sky - 1/03

NCL Sun - 1/02

You will do just fine, you float in the saltwater and it is even easier if you have fins on. I didn't even need a vest and I am not in the best shape, especially when it comes to swimming. Another option that we kind of did at Cinnamon Bay is to cheat and rent a raft and use that to swim around and snorkel if you start having trouble, which I am sure you won't. Other tours went on on other islands where we snorkeled off a boat you could jsut go back to the boat early if you wanted to rest. I saw other tours were tehre was 50 or more peopel snorkeling and it was a mess, so much better if done somewhere off the beaten track where you don't have to worry about running into someone every two minutes.

Ditto here on Coki Beach. However, why do this with a tour company when you can just grab a cab yourself? This is a great self guided excursion and a lot cheaper than a tour company.

Very easy snorkeling there, no big fish.

You may want to try the intro to scuba class there. You do the scuba right from the beach. My daughter and I did it and had a great time. The instructor gave us the basics and we eventually went down to about 40' deep. Lasted for about 45 minutes and it was a blast! It cost $60 if you book it yourself instead of thru the cruise line. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm not a young chick either and only started snorkeling since cruising. I'm also not a confident swimmer, although I can swim. I purchased (on eBay) my own snorkeling vest that already is strapped to fit my body to bring along on my cruises. With that vest, I've confidently cruised off boats in the middle of the ocean as well as swimming out from shore. We snorkeled at Coki Beach the first time we were in St. Thomas and at Trunk Bay the second time. Totally different experiences. Get the vest if it will increase your confidence like it did mine!

My vote is for Trunk Bay in St. John, for beginners. It's a marked underwater trail. Get the vest as you'll be so into it that you won't realize how tired you get and then have to swim back. The fairy has a schedule and there are cabs there to take you back any time you're ready to go. It's a 20 minute ride. It's worth it!

Archived