Kona Suggestions for drink/lunch and art shopping

lawgirl

We have a kayak excursion in the morning which gets back around lunch. We would love recommendation for a place to eat lunch and have a drink on beach .... Walkable from cruise port. Also any unusual shops, especially for local small paintings, glass, artwork within walking distance of port? Thanks!!

There are many restaurants within easy walking distance of the pier - Kailua-Kona is a small village. They will all have a harbor/water view, but are not 'on a beach' - the beach at the pier is tiny. Some ideas:

Splashers - Upstairs right across the street from the base of the pier. The menu is pretty much anything you'd want, a nice view.

Just a few doors south is Fish Hopper - ground floor, nice view, though right on the street. Good food, somewhat expensive.

Kona Inn - about a 10 minute walk from the pier, right on the water, a great view of your ship, one of the islands' best Mai Tai's. Try one of their fish sandwiches with fresh local catch, or a Caesar Salad with the fresh catch or chicken, or my favorite Chicken/Pasta Salad.

Canoe Club - In the same complex as Kona Inn, on the north end. A little less expensive than Kona Inn, good variety of the usual lunch sandwiches and salads, full bar, another great view of your ship.

You could walk a little further through town to other options: Bubba Gumps, also right on the water, then across the street - Lava Java, a Thai restaurant (forget the name), Humpy's Ale House, then Lulu's (upstairs), and Bongo Ben's (downstairs). These all have a view of the harbor, but are across the street - power lines and traffic get in the way of a perfect view.

Lots of choices! Also don't miss the beautiful and historic summer palace and lava rock church right on your way, or the local farmers' market just past the Kona Inn complex. It's a great place to spend an afternoon (or a week or two!).

For art shopping, there is a gallery at the south end of the Kona Inn and another in the building where Bubba Gumps is located. Also, in the Kona Inn complex, at the south end just before the large gallery, there's a tiny shop on the right side that carries all locally made items - jewelry, glass, many artists' prints and photos.

My vote is for the Kona Inn. I have sent many people there and no complaints so far! My husband and I always stop in for a mai tai when we are on the Kona side. It has been there forever, so they must be doing something right. Enjoy!

We are new to cruising but very experienced with Hawaii. In Kona just down Ali'i drive is the market place with a few good burger places with reasonable prices and some chains like Bubba Gumps. One block up towards the mountains is Kona brew pub. lunch and dinner. Best bet for your money good food, great beer and Beer pub t shirts etc. A ten minute cab ride will get you to Sam Choy Kai Lani open for breakfast lunch and dinner. Sam is the Emeril of Hawaii and prices are reasonable with some real Hawaiian fare. Konas a great town. For Hawaiian shopping we like Crazy shirts and Na Hoku both on Ali'i but there are a lot of other great shops as well.

We have a kayak excursion in the morning which gets back around lunch. We would love recommendation for a place to eat lunch and have a drink on beach .... Walkable from cruise port. Also any unusual shops, especially for local small paintings, glass, artwork within walking distance of port? Thanks!!

Would you mind telling me how to find out about your Kayak Tour? we are interested in doing that as well...

. . . A ten minute cab ride will get you to Sam Choy Kai Lani open for breakfast lunch and dinner. Sam is the Emeril of Hawaii and prices are reasonable with some real Hawaiian fare. . . . .

Just a quick update - Sam Choy's is no longer open for breakfast except for Saturday and Sunday. Food and service lately have been variable, but it's still worth a visit for the incredible view. Also, agree that Kona Brew Pub is a great place to have lunch, (great pizza and salads) but no view at all.

Archived