Kayak excursion at St. Thomas

friskysman

We are going to be in St. Thomas in a couple weeks on the Carnival Glory. My wife and I are thinking about doing this excursion:

Kayak, Hike and Snorkel

A unique, multi-eco experience awaits you in St. Thomas’ Mangrove Wildlife Refuge & Marine Sanctuary.

On this excursion you will:

• Kayak, snorkel, and hike through a 16-acre uninhabited island with breathtaking views.
  • Leave the pier in an open-air safari bus to the marina.
  • Be provided with a safety briefing, instructions and equipment. Board your two-person sit-upon kayak and paddle through the tranquil waters and protected mangroves of the inner lagoon.
  • Make three stops for informative explanations of the area’s ecology and wildlife along with amusing local folklore. Keep your eyes open for iguanas, egrets, herons, pelicans, and frigates.
  • Leave your kayak at a scenic beach for an invigorating hike to Red Point cliffs, tidal pools and a blowhole.
  • Don your mask and plunge into the fascinating underwater kingdom. See starfish, conchs, stingrays, and puffer fish as you explore a beautiful coral fringed mangrove nursery.
  • Enjoy a snack and then glide your kayak back into the water for your return trip to the marina.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I am mainly interested in some good snorkeling but, from this description, it is tough to tell where the snorkeling takes place. Any information on this is greatly appreciated.

We would be doing this through CCL but I have since done more research and found this website:

http://www.viecotours.com/index.html

I would still like to know how good the snorkeling is on this tour. If anyone knows, please post. If the snorkeling is at all good, I would like to do this as it seems like a nicely balanced excursion.

I live on St. Thomas and have taken two groups of Cub Scouts on this tour. The snorkeling is very interesting, as the mangroves are a nursery for sea life, and there is some coral. There are, however, no big fish.

Carolus

Archived