Cruise in september (hurricane season)

I've lived in South Florida for the last 23 years. I've experienced a few hurricanes during that time - with most of them last year. A few things to consider, based on my personal experience:

1. The only time I had hurricane problems was in '92 with Andrew & last year

when we were hit with 3 of the four hurricanes to hit the state. That's

only 2 times in over 2 decades.

2. I've been cruising since '92 - total of 15 cruises. Of those, 12 have been

in either late August, or the months of Sept, & Oct. - the PRIME

hurricane season. :rolleyes:

3. The ONLY time our cruise was affected was last year, when we got the

BENEFIT of an extra day, because the Miami port was closed. :eek:

4. I've already booked again for a short cruise in mid Sept.

5. Any area affected will be avoided - safety of the passengers, crew & ship

is paramount. So your eastern cruise might be western, or vice-versa. :)

6. It's very difficult to beat the pricing, possibly because a lot of people have

the fear of that time of year. Don't be one of them and take advantage

of the bargains! :D

You can just never predict the weather. When I was planning my wedding, we avoided the June-Oct cruises because of hurricane fears. I knew we would probably be fine, but figured I had enough stress in planning a wedding. So instead we opted to cruise in the winter when weather in the Caribbean is less volatile. Fine in theory, but our guests -- 58 in all -- were flying from the Northeast, Midwest and Mid Altantic. I watched in horror as bad snow and ice storms hit three weekends in a row. :eek: Tons of travellers missed their flights, connections and their cruises. Then there was a random computer malfunction at one airline that stranded folks all over othe country. Despite my planning, it was looking grim. Thankfully, the weekend all of my guests were traveling brought no major airline delays. But bottom line, you can never be sure.

Okay, now I'm kinda worried. :eek: We are booked on AOS out of San Juan for 9/11/05 and going to St. Lucia, Barbados, Antiqua and etc. I know floridia,jamica and bahamas get hit with a lot of hurricianes but does the southern caribbean?

We have so far only cruised in the months of October and September and haven't seen a drop of rain yet. We cruised right by Isabel in 03 on our Hm cruise and only felt a little chop. My Mom booked a cruise in January prime cruising season and almost missed it due to ice storms in Georgia which cancelled a bunch of flights, including the flight from MD that they were supposed to be on. Which meant the day of the cruise they were running around like mad people trying to reschedule. Now who can predict ice storms in Georgia? I say cruise when you want to, no one knows what the weather is going to do. We are booked on a short 3 nighter on the Majesty Sept 16-19 to also shorten our wait until our first winter cruise in December on the Jewel. I say book it!

We cruised last September and it was very stressfull because our flight was cancelled and we had to fly into another city and rent a car to drive to Miami. Then our hotel was evacuated and we had to find another hotel. Then we found out our ship was delayed a day. We missed two ports of calls and Nassau was replaced for Belize (I dislike Nassau). And every tour that we had booked was cancelled.

However, it was still a good week because I didnt have to work!!! We still had a good time once we were on board and RCCL did compensate us with onbaord credit and 50% off our next cruise. Do buy insurance because they did pay for our extra food, hotel and van rental.

Archived