Expired Passport

seasearider59

The passport will not be accepted. And the birth certificate with driver's license is only good for some itineraries, (Won't work for the Mediterranean, among others. )

Actually they recommend your passport not expire until at least six months past the date of your cruise.

We set sail on Aug 24th. Our passports expired Aug 12th. Will they still be accepted? :confused:

I remember years ago they were good for a few years after they expired.

Take passports and birth certificates and we'll be fine?

Thanks

Just renew them (you have 5 months) and you'l have no worries, why risk it? Enjoy the countdown to your cruise worry-free.

From what I understand many places won't let you in the country if you have less than a few months left before your passport expires. I would assume an expired passport = no passport in customs/immigration's eyes.

I read somewhere (not sure where) if they are within 6 months of expiration date (IE: Your leave June cruise but passport expires Dec) the cruiseline may not accept them. Is that true? Just never heard that before and I thought i read that somewhere.

cdnmr is right. This is from Carnival site:

"Carnival requires guests to provide proper travel documentation in order to travel. ....... Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of Immigration requirements."

"It is recommended that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications. It is also recommended that all guests travel with a passport valid for at least 6 months beyond completion of travel."

This is from the government's site about passports:

"If the expiration date on your passport is approaching, it’s a good idea to check the travel requirements of the country you are visiting before you leave. Even though a passport is still technically valid until the expiration date, many countries require that you have at least 6 months left or they won’t let you in.

The Department of State recommends renewing your passport at least 9 months before it expires. At the bare minimum, you should allow at least 2 months for your passport renewal to be processed with regular processing."

I read somewhere (not sure where) if they are within 6 months of expiration date (IE: Your leave June cruise but passport expires Dec) the cruiseline may not accept them. Is that true? Just never heard that before and I thought i read that somewhere.

I dont know about a cruise, but I went on a land vacation to Jamaica and they needed at least 90 days on the passport to be admitted into the country. I guess in case of an accident and you are in the hospital for 3 months, youre still good!:)

The lag of how long before the end is acceptable is usually due to the visa you enter on. Most Tourist Visas are 6 months that is why they require your passport to be valid the entire length of the visa even though you are only staying for a day.

We set sail on Aug 24th. Our passports expired Aug 12th. Will they still be accepted? :confused:

Thanks

I often drive into Canada with an expired drivers license, expired car insurance, expired registration tags, while drinking expired milk, and show them an expired passport. I don't have an issue being that they all expired only 5 months ago.

Thanks

No, they absolutely will not be accepted. Yes, you could used BC, but if you get into a problem, and need to fly back to US - you will be delayed.

Renew your passports. You have plenty of time:)

I often drive into Canada with an expired drivers license, expired car insurance, expired registration tags, while drinking expired milk, and show them an expired passport. I don't have an issue being that they all expired only 5 months ago.

Won't work on a cruise. Last year, my Mother-in law renewed her passport right before our trip (earlier than needed.) When she packed, she took the old one with the hole punched in it, rather than the brand new one she had just gotten in the mail. As I mentioned, her old one technically had more time on it. She left her brand new one at home. This nearly caused her the cruise. They refused to let her board the ship in Florida. Thankfully her sister drove 90 minutes to her house to retrieve her BC and faxed us a copy to Florida. It was a nightmare. If you are using a passport, it MUST be current.

Just a side note to keep in mind....

If you let your Passport expire you can not get a renewal at the lower price w/ the lesser paperwork you will need to re-apply (full form) and pay as if this was your first passport (also submitting all the citizenship and ID paperwork again). This happened to us when due to an injury requiring multiple surgeries I could not submit for renewal our son's passport before the expiration date. When the county clerk informed of this I was livid since I missed the date by only 3 days.

Just a side note to keep in mind....

If you let your Passport expire you can not get a renewal at the lower price w/ the lesser paperwork you will need to re-apply (full form) and pay as if this was your first passport (also submitting all the citizenship and ID paperwork again). This happened to us when due to an injury requiring multiple surgeries I could not submit for renewal our son's passport before the expiration date. When the county clerk informed of this I was livid since I missed the date by only 3 days.

This is incorrect for people over age 16.

A passport issued up to 15 years prior (5 years expired) can be used to renew.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html

Cruises to the Caribbean do not require a passport with 6 months validity. You do not even need a passport for a closed loop cruise. A passport need only be valid til the end of the cruise.

Your passport will not work if it’s expired.

If your cruise is a closed loop – starting and ending at the same US port – you will be fine with a birth certificate. I have used a birth certificate on over 20 cruises to just about every Caribbean Island and have never need to show anything to enter the country. When you get to the ports you only need your DL and S&S, and that’s just to get back ON the ship.

I did just apply for my passport for a ta cruise in November.

Archived