Car rentals from 7 mile beach vs. Airport

jenniferhouston3

Has anyone had experience coming into port, and renting a car from a hotel on 7 mile beach, as opposed to the airport? I was wondering if it was faster to take a taxi to a hotel and then renting a car, as opposed to waiting for a shuttle from the Blue Iguana and to go to the airport?

Any pros or cons?

Jen...I just came back from Cayman and we rented a Jeep from Cayman auto rentals in Georgetown. It's about 4 blocks from the port. It was a very simple process. Got the package deal which included insurance, Cayman license, etc. Robbie is the owner, originally from Miami. Here's his address...<cayauto@candw.ky> Let me know if you have any problems, Bill

Blue Iguana is less than a 5 min walk from the pier. Once you get there, they call for the shuttle to pick you up, you maybe wait 10 mins. It is less than a 10 min drive to the airport/car rental area.

If that helps any. Never rented where we picked up at a hotel. I'd make sure you make reservations ahead of time to make sure they will have enough cars on site and you don't waste time waiting for a car.

Jen...4 wheel drive jeep with insurance, temp drivers license, etc. was $85.00 for the day. They also have small cars up to vans. You can e-mail me if you like, I can give you all the info if needed. I know boatbunny also had great luck with who she dealt with. We both have pictures of Rum Point! :)

Tyman,

Thanks for the advice. My hubby just got confirmation from Robbie, so we are ready to go next week. I love the convenience of the rental place being so close to the dock, and not being dependent upon shuttles.

I posted this ? on another thread, but how did you guys adapt to driving on the left side of the road? Please tell me that traffic was not that heavy between the harbor and Rum Point. Thanks Jenn

Jen...It actually was pretty cool driving on the other side. Once you get out of town it clears out alot. There's lots of places to pull over for nice views of the ocean. Just watch when you make right turns because of incoming traffic. Oh, plus the "round-a-bouts" are pretty fun, remember which way you're going. :) It's about a 30 - 40 minute drive to Rum Point. I liked the thought of walking, rather than taking a shuttle, to the rental place. Just make sure you go left when you get off the ship...ha!

Archived