Who didn't like Half Moon Cay?

CanadianMAG

I loved parasailing on HMC...what a view from the top! This is always one of my favorite stops on a Caribbean cruise. However, what I don't like is two ships in at the same time...particularly if I am not on the first ship. So far I've had 4 beautiful days there and looking for a few more.

We were there on the Oosterdam, at the same time as the Rotterdam. While the island was beautiful, the sand soft and the water warm, I felt that it was EXTREMELY overcrowded.

I agree, it can get very crowded when there are two ships at the Island, and I think HAL tries to schedule the visits now so that only one ship is there on a given day.

It's particularly bad when your ship is the second one to arrive. That's when you really feel it because all the best spots at the bar are already taken, the best beach spots could be gone, etc.

I was lucky. I was there twice and once we were the only ship there. The second time, while there was a second ship, they had gotten there before us and were leaving a couple of hours before us ... like around 2:00 p.m. Were weren't scheduled to sail until like 5:00. Once they all left, we had plenty of room to wander and enjoy. So, it wasn't too bad.

The tender thing ... I've never experienced that. For me, it was always a reasonably quick tender ride with a very short wait to get on one.

I love HMC and only wish HAL could give us more time there ... like maybe until dusk.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hal is in the process of ruining HMC. It was so much better with one ship. It was nicer when they had free umbrellas, which are now gone. Now they charge you for those clamshells.

I have been to Stirrup Cay. The snorkeling was fantastic.

Not eveyone is a beach person so HMC is not important to them.

I do not book a cruise based on stopping at HMC.

On our last Caribbean cruise, we didn't even get off the ship in HMC. It's a beach. While it's a nice beach and it's not overrun with people it's still just a beach. Like the OP's DH, we prefer port stops with a bit more - history, architecture, non-beach activity, etc.

I wouldn't skip a cruise which was otherwise a good choice simply because it stopped at HMC, but I wouldn't get off the boat, either (service on board is great while everyone is baking in the sun :) )

I agree, it can get very crowded when there are two ships at the Island, and I think HAL tries to schedule the visits now so that only one ship is there on a given day.

During the winter that is really impossible to do with so many ships doing the Eastern or Southern Carib from FLL. I think HAL has tried to address the overcrowded issue by giving each ship a partial day, so that there will be some hours alone there, but that isn't ideal either. With the prices of cabanas it is possible that some pax will only get to use them for a couple of hours. I've also read many posts here that the second ship in each day does not have the bbq and pax eat lunch on the ship. The hours of the bbq are short and early.

If your itinerary says HMC 8-2 you really are talking 9-1 on the island tops. The ship gets there at 8 and then there is a wait for tendering to begin and with the ship departing HMC at 2, pax have to tender back long before that.

Peaches,

You brought up a good point with those partial day stops.

I do not think it is worth it. Either do it right or don't don't do it at all.:rolleyes:

HMC was just OK. Truth be told, I enjoyed the rough tendering more than the island. It would have been nice to have some real walking trails, rather than the rutted paths used by the tractors. Like other posters, I'm not much of a beach person. I like architeture and other non-water activities. Next time I'll stay on the ship.

Isn't Coco Cay the name of Princess' private island? I saw someone mention it as RCL.

Anyway, I haven't yet been to Half Moon Cay, but I have enjoyed private island stops in general as a relief from some of the more crowded tourist islands which are all about shopping. It is nice to have a stop that is just about relaxing or eating...stay for a while, back to the ship early, or take a walk, go in the water, whatever you want.

I have to admit a soft spot for RCCL's private stop - Labadee, Haiti. For me, this is the best of the private stops. It has gorgeous beaches, great sand, beautiful rock formations, old ruins, good food facilities spread throughout, dedicated tenders, local staff, and even a local market. It is large, so walking is fun...there are great spots to climb the rocks, and it is stuck on the north end of Haiti with the soaring mountains all around (an atmosphere the Bahamas cannot reproduce). There are hundreds of hermit crabs along the rocks on the exposed ocean coast, which has rough, surging waves and dark blue waters, iguanas and other lizards in the eastern tip, and the sheltered bay has all the swimming with see-through crystal green waters and white sand.

Princess' private island didn't do anything special for me, but I still enjoy having another stop - even if I decide to stay on the ship - because so many people get off, the ship becomes much quieter and more private.

I hope Half Moon Cay is more scenic than some of the sand-bar bahama islands in the far western sea near Florida...I presume being farther west and in the more open Atlantic, the terrain may be more interesting and rocky or reef-ringed. The western Bahamian islands are just patches of sand and water, which living in South Florida isn't all that different than what's in our backyards. It sounds pretty by the descriptions I've heard, so I'm looking forward to finding out!

For cheshire999...

Please tell me more about horseback riding at Half Moon Cay...all the details from start to finish! I am an experienced rider...but haven't had a riding horse for three years now, so my muscles are definitely not "in shape". I know that half the ride is on land and half is in the water. Are you allowed to get deep enough in the water so that the horses really swim? (I did that once many many years ago with my first horse and it was one of the most wonderful experiences I've ever had!) Also is the "ride" at HMC confined to just a walk? I really would like to have a nice canter along the beach through the sand and surf. I know this is asking alot...but I'd really like to know before I book my next cruise. Half Moon Cay sounds like it is the epitome of private islands. I've only been to NCL's Great Stirrup Cay...and loved it...so I'm thinking that HMC is going to be heaven by comparison!

Debjo

zackiedawg - I believe Princess' private island is Princess Cay. I am certain that CocoCay is one of the RCL islands. The other is Labadee. Unfortunately, the one cruise which was to stop at Labadee cancelled the stop due to rough seas & inability to anchor/tender safely. I certainly hope to visit it one day.

We really enjoy the day on HMC. However, I've never thought the BBQ was anything special. Have never seen ribs at the BBQ. It is fun to sit and listen to the music and watch the little chickens that run around picking up crumbs.

During the winter that is really impossible to do with so many ships doing the Eastern or Southern Carib from FLL. I think HAL has tried to address the overcrowded issue by giving each ship a partial day, so that there will be some hours alone there, but that isn't ideal either. With the prices of cabanas it is possible that some pax will only get to use them for a couple of hours. I've also read many posts here that the second ship in each day does not have the bbq and pax eat lunch on the ship. The hours of the bbq are short and early.

I totally agree with you ... and that's why I would never waste my money renting one of the cabanas there. I think they are just a scheme for HAL to make more money and personally, I don't think they are worth it. For my money, I'd sooner rent a clamshell if I really wanted to spend all of my time on the beach and have some shade.

Actually, I enjoy HMC by staying away from both options. I do an excursion of some type first, then take a quick dip in the ocean, followed by time in the shade at the bar area. I also take a walk, including a visit to that beautiful Bahamian church. Such a plan fills my hours at HMC quite nicely.

As for the BBQ, personally I really don't even bother. I usually don't bother with eating at most ports ... unless I am going to be there for eight hours or more. I'd rather experience the ambience of the port ... including HMC ... and eat to my heart's content when I am back on the ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived