Dunn's Falls excursions questions...

jelomu

My friend and I are on the Freedom in July, and looking at excursions for Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios.

It seems the most popular with everyone is the stingray and snorkeling....but this doesn't really interest us.

We want to see a bit of the island if we can. So we are thinking of the island tour for Grand Cayman.

For Ocho Rios, she is a bit interested in Dunns Falls, but I have my reservations! We are both 46 and not in the greatest of shape :rolleyes: I had knee surgery last year, and while I'm at about 90% functioning, it sometimes gives out so I have to be careful with my footing.

Is this a really steep climb, or is it more gradual? Also.....:p I'm afraid of heights....so when you look back is it really high? I don't even like to be on the 3rd rung of a ladder....

Not convinced this excusion is for us, but I think she really wants to try it, even if you have to take the stairs. But why spend all that money to take the stairs?

The climb isn't steep until the 2nd level but the entire thing is slippery. If you have back and knee issues, without question, skip it. There are other excursions in Jamaica, just make sure you do one. The ppl we spoke to that didn't have a plan found themselves experiencing quite a bit of street life. ;) Have fun! The Freedom is my favorite ship so far.

We did the Falls, I was worried about my husband who has had a couple of ACL surgeries and forgot his brace that he uses for anything athletic. He did just fine though. There were also kids in our group between 8-15 and they all loved it. I was nervous beforehand (saw the youtube video where someone slips back over the falls) but it really was a fun time. As for the height issue, my son doesn't like heights and didn't have a problem. Honestly, I don't know that I really looked back. Now, a few years ago when we climbed the ruins at Lamanai--that was scary high! LOL Finally, my dad just watched us all on the stairs and enjoyed taking pictures and the scenery. Also, there is more than one place where you can exit out of the falls and finish on the stairs if you decide you've had enough. Good luck with whatever you decide!

My friend and I are on the Freedom in July, and looking at excursions for Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios.

It seems the most popular with everyone is the stingray and snorkeling....but this doesn't really interest us.

We want to see a bit of the island if we can. So we are thinking of the island tour for Grand Cayman.

For Ocho Rios, she is a bit interested in Dunns Falls, but I have my reservations! We are both 46 and not in the greatest of shape :rolleyes: I had knee surgery last year, and while I'm at about 90% functioning, it sometimes gives out so I have to be careful with my footing.

Is this a really steep climb, or is it more gradual? Also.....:p I'm afraid of heights....so when you look back is it really high? I don't even like to be on the 3rd rung of a ladder....

Not convinced this excusion is for us, but I think she really wants to try it, even if you have to take the stairs. But why spend all that money to take the stairs?

We just returned from the FREEDOM. My 70 y/o husband who is not in the best of shape did the Dunn's River Falls climb and he was glad he did. It's about a 600' rise but it's gradual. The climb is easy in most places but there are a few slippery/steep places and the guides will help you if you need it. The group stops a couple of times at the plateaus to regroup. There are two guides to each group. I had recent knee surgery and chose to walk along the outside to take pictures. You really don't get much out of walking along the outside so it's really an expensive walk if you choose not to walk in the falls. There are videos of the falls on you tube. Don't forget that the guides expect to be tipped!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies!

I bought my water shoes yesterday and we are going to give it a try! I figure if it's too difficult I can take the "chicken exit!"

Now I am looking forward to it, just need to find a waterproof case for my camera!

:D

Archived