Vain woman needs help with horrible cruise hair!!

Aurora2143

I am still laughing after reading all the "I have THE worst hair ever" stories! I truly thought that honor belonged to me! All my life I have had straight, thick, shiny hair - people used (and "used" to is the operative word) to stop me and compliment me on my hair. I am a gal of the late 60's - early 70's era, when long straight hair was the thing. Even when keeping my hair short, people would still compliment me on my hair. All that changed with MEN-O-PAUSE! Ahhhh...the bain of my existence! My hair literally changed within a matter of weeks to months to a wiry, wavy (not pretty wavy....think STICK OUT ALL OVER wavy) mess! It is still thick....in places but not all over. Not matter what hairdresser I go to, all they can think to do is cut it 2-3 inches long all over - there is not much else to be done. What has saved me is wigs....I have 7 now and every day DH can pick out what wife he wants for that day! I have long, short and in-between, blonde, red, highlighted, dark, etc - and the most I have ever paid is $150.00 for a good one. When I first mentioned buying one a couple of years ago, DH was not very sure that this was a good idea but he agreed to go with me and see what they looked like. And he also fell in love with them and HE is the one who urges me to buy more. They are soooo easy and you can always pop one on and look great within a couple of minutes. I live in SFL where it is hot and humid but they really aren't hot or itchy which was surprising to me. I rarely leave the house without one on unless it is to go the beach a few times a week. I know wigs are not practical for everyone and not everyone would feel comfortable with wearing one....but for me, at this stage of my life with this GOD AWFUL hair I now have....this has been a lifesaver for me. You know how if your hair doesn't look good (in your own opinion), no matter what you have on, you just don't feel as if you look nice.....well now...problem solved! ;)

Wow, that sounds like something I might try. I am also in menopause. My hair is fine, my bangs don't quite cover my

my high forehead, and humidity and moisture in the air plays

havoc with my hair. Each time I try to style my hair for special

occasions such as dress-up on cruises, etc.; I have been extremely

distressed with how my hair looks in photos. :eek: I have hinted

I might see about finding a nice wig to wear for those special

occasions, and my DH seems to be supportive of that idea. I'm

glad to hear wigs aren't particularly hot and itchy. I will have

start looking for a wig shop her in NW Washington before our

Alaska cruise in September. :rolleyes:

Donna

Has anyone ever tried Wen hair products? Saw them on QVC last night and was so tempted to try them out!

There's a short conversation about it earlier in the thread. I hated it. My hair felt gross, like I didn't wash it for a week.

There's a short conversation about it earlier in the thread. I hated it. My hair felt gross, like I didn't wash it for a week.

That is how my hair felt after using the "Living Proof" product that I ordered. I am in the process of shipping it back for a refund.

That is how my hair felt after using the "Living Proof" product that I ordered. I am in the process of shipping it back for a refund.

I'm so sorry, I hate it when that happens. You get the product and feel that sense of excitement that SOMETHING is finally going to work well. :(

It's naturally straight.

I lived in Hawaii for 30 years and had great hair. Then I moved out here in the high mountains of Colorado and finally got my hair used to the dryness. So now when I go back into humidity, my hair gets overly excited and starts sucking it all up. And I end up looking like Chaka Kahn! :)

That's not a bad thing to look like her...her hair is beautiful :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok ladies, so here's my report. Just got off the Jewel this past weekend and my fair was fabulous throughout the trip. I had the Keratin Express (Not the full Brazilian Blowout) done the week prior to the trip.

I sat on our balcony for hours through the fjord, went on a high speed rafting tour where we were so close to the waterfalls the mist was getting us moist, you name it, I did it.

I also used the "It's a 10" miracle shampoo and conditioner with keratin, leave in potion with keratin and then just blow dry.

Here's a picture during the rafting tour, notice my DS's puffy version of a James Dean hair do. He has naturally curly hair and was pretty frustrated with my hair throughout the cruise.

DSC01378_zps18843ed5.jpg

After the tour...

DSC01340_zps18239a1c.jpg

So there you go ladies. Remember though, I have lots of thick hair, a mix of asian and caucasian. Before Keratin: if I sat in the bathroom while my DH showered, I looked like Chaka Kahn. :) Good luck!

I get a Japanese Gel Perm to straighten, then 2 weeks later the keratin treatment to de-frizz. Now when I look in the mirror, I do a double take every time. A wig? Someone else's hair? NO, it's ME!!

Your hair is a great ad for keratin: beautiful!

May I ask what 'living proof' product it was (I know they have a whole line of hair stuff!)

Pictures please!!!!! :D

Pictures? If any pictures were ever taken of me with my "true" hair, they would have been destroyed long ago! I remember ALWAYS wearing hats all summer long.

When my son was little and we went on a cruise leaving from Miami, I looked normal leaving NJ. While waiting for our luggage at the carousel, he looked at me and said, "Mommy, what happened to you?!" My hair had grown into the chia pet look, and we hadn't even left the terminal!!

Same son, once when we were in the ocean together bopping around, said, "Mommy, you should always keep your hair wet!"

Oh, yeah, I've paid my frizz dues, and I LOVE my keratin!!

Pictures? If any pictures were ever taken of me with my "true" hair, they would have been destroyed long ago! I remember ALWAYS wearing hats all summer long.

When my son was little and we went on a cruise leaving from Miami, I looked normal leaving NJ. While waiting for our luggage at the carousel, he looked at me and said, "Mommy, what happened to you?!" My hair had grown into the chia pet look, and we hadn't even left the terminal!!

Same son, once when we were in the ocean together bopping around, said, "Mommy, you should always keep your hair wet!"

Oh, yeah, I've paid my frizz dues, and I LOVE my keratin!!

Ahhh, the innocence of children. Aren't they precious?

Ok ladies, so here's my report. Just got off the Jewel this past weekend and my fair was fabulous throughout the trip. I had the Keratin Express (Not the full Brazilian Blowout) done the week prior to the trip.

I sat on our balcony for hours through the fjord, went on a high speed rafting tour where we were so close to the waterfalls the mist was getting us moist, you name it, I did it.

I also used the "It's a 10" miracle shampoo and conditioner with keratin, leave in potion with keratin and then just blow dry.

Here's a picture during the rafting tour, notice my DS's puffy version of a James Dean hair do. He has naturally curly hair and was pretty frustrated with my hair throughout the cruise.

DSC01378_zps18843ed5.jpg

After the tour...

DSC01340_zps18239a1c.jpg

So there you go ladies. Remember though, I have lots of thick hair, a mix of asian and caucasian. Before Keratin: if I sat in the bathroom while my DH showered, I looked like Chaka Kahn. :) Good luck!

Holy Cow! That's the way to show the ol ex wife huh? You (and your hair) look amazing!!

I have the opposite problem with my hair - thin, fine, won't hold curl, looks stuck to my head all the time! I recently cut 12 1/2 inches and donated to Locks of Love, thinking that our make me look like I had some body, but, nope - now it's just short, straight and stuck to my head instead on long, straight and stuck to my head! You got such great suggestions, maybe somebody can help me?

Congrats again on how great you look!

Holy Cow! That's the way to show the ol ex wife huh? You (and your hair) look amazing!!

I have the opposite problem with my hair - thin, fine, won't hold curl, looks stuck to my head all the time! I recently cut 12 1/2 inches and donated to Locks of Love, thinking that our make me look like I had some body, but, nope - now it's just short, straight and stuck to my head instead on long, straight and stuck to my head! You got such great suggestions, maybe somebody can help me?

Congrats again on how great you look!

You are absolutely hilarious!!! 40 is the new 30 right? :)

Yes I hope there is someone on here that would be able to help you out. I'm assuming you've tried all those extra body shampoo/conditioners, mousse and blow drying your hair upside down right?

You are absolutely hilarious!!! 40 is the new 30 right? :)

Yes I hope there is someone on here that would be able to help you out. I'm assuming you've tried all those extra body shampoo/conditioners, mousse and blow drying your hair upside down right?

Oh yeah - and I look great for about 4 hours or so!

My hairdresser told me I need to "damage" my hair, because I don't color it or anything - I figured if I ever started, I'd never stop! Thank you for the suggestions!!

Oh yeah - and I look great for about 4 hours or so!

My hairdresser told me I need to "damage" my hair, because I don't color it or anything - I figured if I ever started, I'd never stop! Thank you for the suggestions!!

You are one of the fortunate ones. If you've never colored your hair, don't do it. You're right, you'll never stop. I'm sure there is the right solution out there for you. :)

Thank you for coming back and giving us a report. I was wondering how it worked out for you.

Oh my gosh! Husbands in a steamy shower + frizz-prone hair = uberpoof!

I found that using the John Frieda air brush and a keratin product before completely drying helped tremendously. I know exactly what you are talking about with the frizz head. I bought the air brush on Amazon. I dry my hair mostly with a regular hair dryer and finish it off with the airbrush. BTW- I received the advice on the airbrush here on CC.

Too funny! That was me who posted about that air brush. Need to remember to take it on my next cruise - carribean and the canal. The ultimate frizz tour!

Archived