Long Beach/San Pedro hotel

fozzyfoz

We are flying into Long Beach on 10/15 before our cruise sails out on 10/16. We plan on going to the Aquarium of the Pacific on the 15th so we will need to find a hotel in Long Beach near there. Ideally we get off the plane in Long Beach drop our bags at our hotel and head to the aquarium. Then the next morning we check out and head over to San Pedro for boarding. Any ideas/recommendations for hotels near the aquarium (and is this a decent part of town)? We are an early 30's couple with no kids and dont have lavish tastes but want it to be clean, convenient and safe. Also, any of these hotels offer shuttle to/from Long Beach airport and/or San Pedro cruise docks? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Hi Fozzy, Try the Coast Long Beach Hotel. My DH and I were there in May for cruise out of San Pedro. The hotel has a shuttle bus that is free to take you to Downtown Long Beach Area. There are two busses (one red and one purple) if I remember correctly. You can get map that will show you which bus to take. We saw the Aquarium but didn't go because line was so long. There is also a shopping area called Shoreline Village with shops and resturants on the bus route. We loved the Long Beach area and plan to go back soon for a few days. Have a great trip and ask if you have any more questions.

There are 3 of the larger hotels also on Ocean Blvd. on the Red Shuttle route, two in walking distance of the Aquarium: Westin and the Renaissance. Hilton is a couple of blocks further down Ocean Avenue. In addition to Shoreline Village for shops and restaurants, there are lots of clubs and restaurants on Pine Street, which is halfway between the Westin and the Hilton

I ditto setme2sail. We stayed at the Coast Hotel last April, it is in a lovely location with the Queen Mary in view of your balcony. The red bus (free) drops off/picks up right in the parking lot to take you downtown. We went to Gameworks and had lunch at Island Burgers. We, too, would go back again because of the great experience we had there.

We are staying at the Coast Hotel in Sept. before our Panama Canal Cruise. Do you know if there is any place to buy wine and soda to take on board the ship. I don't want to hassle with it while flying, but would like to get some before we board.

I don't remember seeing a grocery store but I wasn't really looking. Ask the driver of the shuttle bus. They are very helpful, I'm sure there must be a store in the downtown area. There is a small store in the hotel that sells snacks and souviners. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Have a great time in Long Beach, it is a lovely area.

My office is across the street from the Hilton. Can't remember off the top of my head exact locations, but there is a Safeway, a liquor store and a 7-eleven within a short drive of these hotels. I will be in trial balance of the week, but will be happy to do a check on this next Monday and let you know. Does anyone have exact adress of the Coast Hotel, as it doesn't ring a bell, but I will find it and then circle out from there Monday after work.

Okay, I popped in to the office today between court appearances, and located the Coast Long Beach Hotel. There are no stores of any sort within 2 miles of the hotel. It is nicely situated for view of Long Beach across Queensway Bay, and is within walking distance of the Queen Mary, but nothing else. To reach the Aquarium, Shoreline Village, restaurants and clubs on Pine Street, you need to take a cab or the red bus. Frankly, I would be more inclined to see if you can get any kind of rate at the Westin or Renaissance, as they are in walking distance of all of these. The nearest large market is a Von's on the corner of Broadway and Alamitos, which would be about 8 blocks from the Westin. There is also a Top Value Market on the corner of Pacific and 3rd Street. Not as nice a market, on the edge of a less desirable neighborhood, and also about 8 blocks from the Westin, which is on Ocean and Long Beach Blvd.

Recently stayed at the Hyatt. Don't know if that is what others refer to as Renaissance. Directly across from all the shops on Pine, Red Line stops right there, Aquarium 1 block away. Will stay there again in November for my cruise and if you check in the lobby of the Convention Center they have a special coupon for $5 admission to the Aquarium if you come after lunch.

just booked a bay front room at Coast Long Beach since it's right by the Aquarium and the Queen Mary. Hilton and Westin are sold out already for Oct 15th so if anyone else is cruising out that weekend and needs a room, better to book early vs later.

Hi everyone - I have a question about precruise hotel lodging. I've just booked on Sapphire Princess, departing 10/1. We're going to fly in a few days early, rent a car and tour the San Diego. We're considering:

(a) returning car to LAX the night before the cruise, staying hotel near LAX and then making shuttle arrangements to the port, or

(b) returning car to Long Beach, take shuttle to either Marina Hotel or the Sheraton, as it appears both have free shuttles to the port.

Exactly how far is the port from LAX? I work for the airlines, so I can get a great rate at the Sheraton near LAX, I'm just not sure of distance, conveniance, etc.

Any thoughts or ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Coast Hotel We too took the Passport. Take it to First and ? (I can't remember- but it's by their train stop) Walk up about 4 blocks and over 2 ish. Will be an Albertsons and a Walmart- I'm from Az- never seen a Walmart with a parking garage before- kind of freaky. Seems a long way to take the carts back. Anyway- Of course we bought too much. Carted 12 packs of beer all over town, but hey, we're cheap.

One word of warning- we left our luggage with the front desk as we got off the Pride early and it wasn't check in time. It must have been the bellman who decided 2 pieces of our luggage needed another cruise. Never did get any help from management whatsoever. They have not returned any calls- did nothing to help find them. We finally deducted the fact that 1)someone likes dirty laundry and wanted to take our suitcases home to wash all our clothes or 2) somehow it got on one of the shuttles and got sent back to the cruise terminal. Everyone there handles so much luggage and it all looks the same- So- after a long week- we started calling Carnival- and lo and behold- our luggage. Now I have to do my own laundry- drats. So moral of this long story- if you have a group of 12- and your luggage won't all fit in the bellmans closet- make sure they ticket it (they didn't ours- the 2nd shift bellman pointed that mistake on their part out.) And remember- their management will be of no help whats so ever. Their corporate office either- they never answered our questions, either. But the rest of the staff is GREAT!! And besides that mess

- all else was fine there.

Oh, and when you take the bus- go across the bridge to the Pike. Lots of shoreline restaurants and shops- near Shoreline Village.

Archived