Chichen Itza Question

tispwisp

I've wanted to visit Chichen Itza for years! We are considering sailing on the Carnival Glory fall of 2006 and our stop in Cozumel would be from 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. We would like to take the Chichen Itza excursion it is a 12 hour excursion. However, the excursion does not include lunch! :eek: Does anyone know if the bus stops at any place where we can get something to eat or is there any place around Chichen Itza that we can grab a bite?

Thanks for any input!

I've wanted to visit Chichen Itza for years! We are considering sailing on the Carnival Glory fall of 2006 and our stop in Cozumel would be from 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. We would like to take the Chichen Itza excursion it is a 12 hour excursion. However, the excursion does not include lunch! :eek: Does anyone know if the bus stops at any place where we can get something to eat or is there any place around Chichen Itza that we can grab a bite?

Thanks for any input!

tispwisp,

I see that no one has answered your question yet so I will tell you what I know. We have not taken the Chichen Itza excursion from Cozumel but from Progreso. We took the Tulum excursion from Cozumel. On both, we were given a brown paper bag with our food in it. In Progreso, we had a sandwich, chips, apple and other snacks. On the Tulum excursion, we had snack foods, no sandwich. Both gave us cups with ice and provided soft drinks. On both, we stopped on the way to the excursion site and could have gotten something else but not a full meal. Once at Chichen Itza, you will find a variety of food and drink items that you can buy. I hope this helps.

Right at the entrance to Chichen Itza, where our tour bus parked, is a beautiful hotel called Hotel & Bungalows Mayaland. It's in a jungle setting. They have a restaurant & gift shop. But my husband & I had some snacks & beer in a nice little bar near the entrance of the hotel as we waited for the rest of the people to straggle back from the ruins.

Twenty years ago, we did the Chichen Itza trip from Cozumel by plane. It was a 40 minute flight. Do they still offer it? We left at 7 am and were back early afternoon so lunch didn't enter into the equation.

Thank you Sugar 'N Spice so much for the info! Just curious - which did you like better Chichen Itza or Tulum?

tispwisp,

I asked this same question before I went. After visiting both, I can understand why people said what they did. All I can really do is to say pretty much what they told me. The two places are very different from each other and hold their own beauty in equal rights. I would be hard put to recommend one over the other. I'm glad we were able to visit them both. Chichen Itza is a larger area with larger temples. It has the ballcourt and a cenote. Tulum's structures are set on a cliff, against the backdrop of the ocean. It has a spectacular view of the ocean and a breathtaking beach area. If you go to Tulum, try to be prepared for a swim. There are stairs leading from the cliff/ruins area to the beach. I didn't get to do that and I wish I had. Your guide on either tour will probably be very knowledgeable. Our guides were and we learned many things about the Mayan culture from them. There are websites that can tell you more about each place. You can go to the ports of call area on this board and you can also do a Google search which will get you pages of sites to visit.

A bus trip to Chitzchen from Cozumel sounds like one REALLY long day to me. Ferry over -- 35 minutes. Bus from Playa del Carmen to Chitzchen -- 3 hours minimum each way. Ferry back 35 minutes. So that's 6 hours on the bus and 70 minutes on the ferry not counting all the waits at each place until the whole group gathers and gets checked in. The ferry ride is fun. The buses are very nice -- comfortable and with AC ./ But the view is VERY boring out the bus window for at least 2 hours of the trip while you're on the toll road going inland.

I'd do Tulum or even just stay on the island and enjoy what's here. There's tons to see and do including a small but pretty ruins which could be combined with a lot of other stuff considering the long period of time you'll be here. You could spend time at the beach, for example or a national park AND take a trip to the local San Gervasio ruins.

Just my opinion.

Thanks so much everyone for your input! I think we are going to do Tulum & Xel-ha. We will save Chichen Itza for when we sail into Progresso some day!

Thanks again!

You are welcome.

In case you didn't know, Carnival has dropped Progreso as a port of call. I don't know if any other shiplines go there now or not.

Carey mentioned the excursion to Chichen Itza from Cozumel being a long trip. I'm sure it is. I think the excursion board on Carnival says it is a 12 hour excursion. You will have to take the ferry ride whether you go to Chichen Itza or Tulum. You will also have a bus ride but the one to Tulum is not as long as the one to Chichen Itza.

Have you looked at this site: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=6

It may help you.

• 2 weeks later...

When did Carnival drop Progresso as a port of call? We just got back from sailing on the Carnival Elation (6/19) and stopped at Progresso, Cozumel and Belize City. Progresso reminded me of the Mexican towns that border Texas - very poor and dirty. We should have stayed on the ship.

You are welcome.

In case you didn't know, Carnival has dropped Progreso as a port of call. I don't know if any other shiplines go there now or not.

Carnival has not dropped Progresso from all of its ships - just the Glory.

Carnival has not dropped Progresso from all of its ships - just the Glory.

Thanks for the correction. After I read this, I called our PVP at Carnival and he said he was talking about the Glory. Carnival does have another ship that continues to go to Progresso. He didn't say it planned to stop going there.

Archived