Legend Chef's Table 3/17 Cruise

Danacat222

Woefully settling back into reality after Mother-Daughter cruise on Legend, we had a wonderful cruise and i will be writing a review soon but thought i would go ahead and get started with Chef's Table...

Chef's Table was on Tuesday the 19th....

On night 1; Mom and i ate at the steakhouse, at which time a hostess came by to inquire about our Chef's Table reservation and to ask if we had any food allergies or dislikes. I don't eat any seafood and Mom only eats shrimp and lobster (no fish, no sushi) so we both said no seafood just to be on the safe side.

The night before Chef's Table we received a call confirming Chef's Table with instructions on where and when to meet. Also the woman said "I understand Patricia has a Birthday." I said nooooo, that while MY birthday was the week before; we were not celebrating any birthday on this sailing. (Patricia, my Mom, her birthday was in January.)

Our group met in the main lobby at 6.15pm, we were walked directly into the galley and started our tour and stopped for the "reception" while still in the galley. We watched a food decoration demo and a few were invited to actively participate, we also were served a few hors d'oeuvre and champagne. The Chorizo-Filled Date was so good! Next the pastry chef came along and showed us how to make the signature Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

No pics allowed in the galley so I ill post the menu...as soon as i get things unpacked i will scan the actual menu and replace this photo, lighting was not ideal, as once we were finished with the tour we were seated in Medusa's Lair dance club.

DSC00651-vi.jpg

We had an introduction by the chef and were informed about his education and experience as a chef. (His name tag said Sou Chef, I had been expecting a different chef (John Heald told me who it was going to be, not sure what happened). He was nice but it was not easy to hear him. He also has each of us introduce ourselves to him and to table-mates.

As we were listening, wine started flowing (choice of red or white) and we were served our cute little pots of bread...

DSC00625-vi.jpg

"Tomatoes Our Way" was next, the cocoa butter coated little tomato was delicious!

DSC00627-vi.jpg

Next is the non-seafood choice made "just for me"...steak tartare...i ate 4 or 5 small little bites, it's an acquired taste and i work in health care and know what can happen with ingesting raw beef that is not prepared correctly, i just did not want to take any chances while on vacation at sea.

DSC00632-vi.jpg

I must have forgotten to take a photo of the Cornish Hen, it was quite good.

Next we have the cream soup which started off as this...

DSC00636-vi.jpg

Which turned into this...was also very good.

DSC00637-vi.jpg

Salmon Substitute...was lamb, cooked to perfection. Seriously good.

DSC00646-vi.jpg

By the time the Wagyu came along, i was absolutely full, so my opinion of the dish might be obscured by my lack of appetite, and i know that Wagyu is allegedly the finest quality of beef available, my brother is an accomplished chef and he does admit it is very fine quality, but it really was underwhelming, though one of my table mates wanted to lick her plate. I felt like i was eating run of the mill chuck roast cooked slowly to turn into "stringy beef".

DSC00649-vi.jpg

Last was the dessert...I didn't "get it" and again i was stuffed, but i was also underwhelmed by this.

DSC00654-vi.jpg

The Magician did come entertain us at some point, he was excellent, we made it a point to go to one of his shows, he not only is talented but he just has a way with people and children that is very charming and funny.

Now the most funny thing ever happened, a group of the kitchen staff came in singing Happy Birthday, at first i think i was talking to a table mate and had had quite a bit of wine, and all of a sudden it clicked that they were singing Happy Birthday to my Mom! Ha! My Mom had arranged for me to have $50 OBC waiting for me as a late birthday gift for me (i turned 44 on the 12th), and i had arranged to have a Carnival sweatshirt delivered to Mom on the first night just for the fun of it. I booked the cruise so i was the primary account holder between the two of us, and remember i had told the lady on the phone that there was no birthday being celebrated on this cruise. Go figure, the chef asked to have the cake delivered to our cabin and it was there waiting for us after dinner. We had a small little sample of it THE NEXT DAY, lol, but i put a towel over it with a sticky note asking to have it taken away. We are still laughing about that cake presentation at Chef's Table.

DSC00661-vi.jpg

Overall the Chef's Table was a great experience, too long, too much food, but the service was exceptional and each of us received a group photo signed by the chef and a copy of the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake recipe.

Any questions, just ask.

Woefully settling back into reality after Mother-Daughter cruise on Legend, we had a wonderful cruise and i will be writing a review soon but thought i would go ahead and get started with Chef's Table...

On night 1; Mom and i ate at the steakhouse, at which time a hostess came by to inquire about our Chef's Table reservation and to ask if we had any food allergies or dislikes. I don't eat any seafood and Mom only eats shrimp and lobster (no fish, no sushi) so we both said no seafood just to be on the safe side.

The night before Chef's Table we received a call confirming Chef's Table with instructions on where and when to meet. Also the woman said "I understand Patricia has a Birthday." I said nooooo, that while MY birthday was the week before; we were not celebrating any birthday on this sailing. (Patricia, my Mom, her birthday was in January.)

Our group met in the main lobby at 6.15pm, we were walked directly into the galley and started our tour and stopped for the "reception" while still in the galley. We watched a food decoration demo and a few were invited to actively participate, we also were served a few hors d'oeuvre and champagne. The Chorizo-Filled Date was so good! Next the pastry chef came along and showed us how to make the signature Warm Chocolate Melting Cake.

No pics allowed in the galley so I ill post the menu...as soon as i get things unpacked i will scan the actual menu and replace this photo, lighting was not ideal, as once we were finished with the tour we were seated in Medusa's Lair dance club.

DSC00651-vi.jpg

We had an introduction by the chef and were informed about his education and experience as a chef. (His name tag said Sou Chef, I had been expecting a different chef (John Heald told me who it was going to be, not sure what happened). He was nice but it was not easy to hear him. He also has each of us introduce ourselves to him and to table-mates.

As we were listening, wine started flowing (choice of red or white) and we were served our cute little pots of bread...

DSC00625-vi.jpg

"Tomatoes Our Way" was next, the cocoa butter coated little tomato was delicious!

DSC00627-vi.jpg

Next is the non-seafood choice made "just for me"...steak tartare...i ate 4 or 5 small little bites, it's an acquired taste and i work in health care and know what can happen with ingesting raw beef that is not prepared correctly, i just did not want to take any chances while on vacation at sea.

DSC00632-vi.jpg

How do you sign up for chefs table?

DSC00651-vi.jpg

DSC00625-vi.jpg

DSC00627-vi.jpg

DSC00632-vi.jpg

So did you have to dress up for this dinner?

I did this on Victory in October; same menu; however, I was allowed to take a picture in the galley, but I asked before taking the picture.

DSC00651-vi.jpg

DSC00625-vi.jpg

That bread was soooooooooooooooo good.

DSC00627-vi.jpg

Yours looks a tad bit different from mine, but I enjoyed mine and I hate tomatoes!

My cornish hen was dry.

Next we have the cream soup...was also very good.

DSC00637-vi.jpg

I'm glad you liked it, but I'm not fond of apple juice and I believe that was the base for that "soup".

Salmon Substitute...was lamb, cooked to perfection. Seriously good.

DSC00646-vi.jpg

That explains why your dish is different you had a sub. :)

By the time the Wagyu came along, i was absolutely full, so my opinion of the dish might be obscured by my lack of appetite, and i know that Wagyu is allegedly the finest quality of beef available, my brother is an accomplished chef and he does admit it is very fine quality, but it really was underwhelming, though one of my table mates wanted to lick her plate. I felt like i was eating run of the mill chuck roast cooked slowly to turn into "stringy beef".

DSC00649-vi.jpg

OMG! That was the best wagyu ever. I'm not a steak person at all, but I loved this. If I had room for more I would have asked.

Last was the dessert...I didn't "get it" and again i was stuffed, but i was also underwhelmed by this.

DSC00654-vi.jpg

Ok, they've changed the name and it seems like your portion is a tad bit smaller than it was in October. The dessert wasn't all that great, but I really couldn't eat it. I asked for it to be boxed. I attempted to eat mine the next day and it was just blah.

Now the most funny thing ever happened, a group of the kitchen staff came in singing Happy Birthday, at first i think i was talking to a table mate and had had quite a bit of wine, and all of a sudden it clicked that they were singing Happy Birthday to my Mom! Ha! My Mom had arranged for me to have $50 OBC waiting for me as a late birthday gift for me (i turned 44 on the 12th), and i had arranged to have a Carnival sweatshirt delivered to Mom on the first night just for the fun of it. I booked the cruise so i was the primary account holder between the two of us, and remember i had told the lady on the phone that there was no birthday being celebrated on this cruise. Go figure, the chef asked to have the cake delivered to our cabin and it was there waiting for us after dinner. We had a small little sample of it THE NEXT DAY, lol, but i put a towel over it with a sticky note asking to have it taken away. We are still laughing about that cake presentation at Chef's Table.

DSC00661-vi.jpg

now, that is too funny. That cake was absolutely delicious. I ordered one for my mom's birthday in October. It was so good that my aunt ordered another one. You are your mom were good; I couldn't have thrown away that cake.

Overall the Chef's Table was a great experience, too long, too much food, but the service was exceptional and each of us received a group photo signed by the chef and a copy of the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake recipe.

Any questions, just ask.

I need the recipe for the cakes sold in bon voyage....they can keep the WCMC.

Glad you enjoyed the Chef's Table.

Just read a comment that the parting gift is now a group photo and the recipe for the chocolate melting cake on Carnival. So sad, looks like everything is now tapas, with no main entree.

We haven't taken a long cruise since Thanksgiving 2011 - I had a new job with no vacation days until now. I am still looking forward to the chefs table with my sisters in August on the Breeze. At least I won't be surprised and disappointed about the cutbacks.

Oh, and the steakhouse (last time I enjoyed it) was worth it, too. Like a high end, Chicago or New York steak house. Great cuts of meats, wine is extra. Should I be concerned about that, too?

Thx

Just read a comment that the parting gift is now a group photo and the recipe for the chocolate melting cake on Carnival. So sad, looks like everything is now tapas, with no main entree.

We haven't taken a long cruise since Thanksgiving 2011 - I had a new job with no vacation days until now. I am still looking forward to the chefs table with my sisters in August on the Breeze. At least I won't be surprised and disappointed about the cutbacks.

Oh, and the steakhouse (last time I enjoyed it) was worth it, too. Like a high end, Chicago or New York steak house. Great cuts of meats, wine is extra. Should I be concerned about that, too?

Thx

The plate sizes are the same as you would find at any kitchen table/chefs table on land. The never did and they never will serve you full portions.

I did this on Victory in October; same menu; however' date=' I was allowed to take a picture in the galley, but I asked before taking the picture.[/quote']

I have heard some will allow it and others not, i did not ask, there was a lot going on and i did not want to miss anything.

The bread really was good!

I have only developed a taste for tomatoes in the last few years (i'm 44) but these were really well prepared, and they are small so it's not terribly wasteful if someone does not like them.

My Cornish hen was cooked perfectly, as was my lamb.

I'm glad you liked it' date=' but I'm not fond of apple juice and I believe that was the base for that "soup".[/quote']

I don't really like any soup that is creamy but i do like to try new things, i can understand not liking it if apple juice is not your thing.

That explains why your dish is different you had a sub. :)

I have an extremely intense aversion to seafood.

OMG! That was the best wagyu ever. I'm not a steak person at all' date=' but I loved this. If I had room for more I would have asked.[/quote']

To me it was not "steak," but a stringy beef rib, it was very good, but i think i was too full to enjoy it for what it was...and i am not a chef but i cook a mean stringy beef.

Ok' date=' they've changed the name and it seems like your portion is a tad bit smaller than it was in October. The dessert wasn't all that great, but I really couldn't eat it. I asked for it to be boxed. I attempted to eat mine the next day and it was just blah.[/quote']

I agree, blah, the dessert made no sense to me.

now' date=' that is too funny. That cake was absolutely delicious. I ordered one for my mom's birthday in October. It was so good that my aunt ordered another one. You are your mom were good; I couldn't have thrown away that cake. [/quote']

I never said it wasn't good :D, lol, i could have had that in place of the cornish hen and lamb and the Chef's Table dessert, lol. But, it sat out for a long time unrefrigerated and so off it went.

Do you have Costco in your area? They make LARGE cakes but the Bon Voyage cake reminded me of the cakes that Costco sells.

I only had the WCMC 1 time this cruise, it's not my favorite.

Thx

For me the CT was not about "What you get" but about the experience and trying new things. Even for the small portions it was too much food overall, but the wine flowed continuously and that combined with the total volume of food and the labor involved, i think $75 was a good value.

If you reserve the Steakhouse on the first night you are offered a free bottle of wine. I can't remember what it was but we drank the whole bottle. I am working on my photos, i will be starting my review tonight and that will include steakhouse food porn.

• 3 months later...

I have only developed a taste for tomatoes in the last few years (i'm 44) but these were really well prepared, and they are small so it's not terribly wasteful if someone does not like them.

I really haven't developed a taste for them, but said I'd try it, and I really loved those. And the fact that they were small did help. :D

I don't really like any soup that is creamy but i do like to try new things, i can understand not liking it if apple juice is not your thing.

I'm not a big soup fan; there's only one that comes to mind that I'd order. And I'm forced to eat chicken noodle soup when I'm sick. :eek:

To me it was not "steak," but a stringy beef rib, it was very good, but i think i was too full to enjoy it for what it was...and i am not a chef but i cook a mean stringy beef.

Oh; thanks for the correction.

I never said it wasn't good :D, lol, i could have had that in place of the cornish hen and lamb and the Chef's Table dessert, lol. But, it sat out for a long time unrefrigerated and so off it went.

Ok, I can see your concerns. Mine was out overnight and I ate it throughout the day the next day. I'm thinking about ordering one in July.

Do you have Costco in your area? They make LARGE cakes but the Bon Voyage cake reminded me of the cakes that Costco sells.

I'll see if I can get a one day pass; I have a Sam's Club membership; so I don't see a need for two.

I only had the WCMC 1 time this cruise, it's not my favorite.

Not mine either.

Archived