Best tipping method?

arkansasboy

Good grief! If you only eat one $20+ meal (dinner on ship) a day that's a $4.00+ tip in a restaurant at home - unless you are cheap or have cruddy service! I'm going to guess that the only meal most people DO NOT eat aboard is lunch - maybe. So, if you eat breakfast in the MDR that's another $10.00+ meal and $2.00+ tip. If you choose the buffet, there are still folks waiting on you - bringing beverages and clearing tables, etc. I don't think you are lazy for tipping $5.50 per day for dining, I think you are correct to tip at least the 'recommended amount'! It looks like lunch is a 'free' meal, tip-wise, anyway. All the cruise ship staff work really hard for incredibly long hours every day and deserve our respect and gratitude. At least, that's one cruisers opinion.

Should I email that to them? LOL

So you don't get drinks or ice cream from the self serve bars, you never eat at any of the Lid places, hit up the sushi bar or late night snacks? And you do tip out all breakfast and lunch wait staff, bus boys, water fillerups?

Why would anyone tip for self serve ice cream or gettinng their own drinks? I his defence, I dont see how a ice cream machine filler dude is a tippable position lol

Porters $2.00 per bag (or $5 for two - just rounding it up). I actually missed the opportunity in Charleston - kind of confused who the porter was - as they took it from the car not at the ship when we parked (duh). I'll get it right this time.

This is always a tricky one. Porters are not tipped people, and they do not work for the cruise line. They are most likely union longshoreman, who make a ton of money, but like working the cruise ship docks, because it is free money for them. So many people say, your luggage will get lost? really? They will risk their 60K a year job for a $2 tip. Tip if you want, but it is not required, or necessary.

Drink Waiters - I never tipped over, but then I knew gratuities were included, and we only had a one or two cocktails at various venues. Never had the same one. If we had a special waiter I would have tipped a $1 extra per drink.

15% tip for a bartender, vs a 15% tip for a waitress. Who works harder? Most cases, the 15% is just fine.

Drivers/Tour Guides - $2 per person or round up to $5 for a couple, for the drivers. I don't know though - do you tip taxi drivers? Tour guides - the only way I can figure is what seems reasonable based on the length of tour and the service experience. So a $100 tour for 2-2 1/2 hours I'll budget $25.

I don't think there really is any set amounts. They all have their hands out, and if you want, throw them a tip. Don't feel guilty of the amount, just do what you think is right.

Okay. Can someone explain to me how auto tipping works? Is it "money" I place on my sign and sail card that goes against my personal card? And, we dont use credit cards. We only use debit cards but I have read that those arent a good idea. Why is that?

We ALWAYS USE our Bank Debit/Check cards & have NEVER had a problem. (We do NOT Use Credit Cards.)

The only reason I can think of that others claim to have problems using debit cards is....

The cruise line will put a "hold" on the card & they only have (1) card/bank account. (We have more than 1 bank account, so therefore the "hold" does NOT affect us.)

I have a question. I've prepaid my tips, but let's say I want to tip extra for great waitstaff and my room steward, how much do you think is a good "extra" tip? And do you tip a little of it every day, such as at dinner? The last night at dinner or the end of the cruise?

Keep in mind I'm not made of money, but I do realize I'm luckier to have a job that pays decent and can afford a little extra tipping.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

On our first cruise we just did the auto-tip and nothing else. It was a 3 day cruise and service was acceptable but nothing memorable. On our most recent 7 day cruise we did the auto-tip AND gave our head waiter in the MDR an extra $10 on the last night because he and his assistant were fantastic. We also gave our cabin steward an extra $10 on the last night as well with a small note saying "thanks for everything". My mother was on the same cruise with us and she and her friend EACH gave the head waiter $20 on the last night and the same to their cabin steward [both were the same waiters and steward that my fiance and I had].

These waiters/stewards will appreciate ANY amount extra that you can afford and see fit to give. They work extremely hard and long hours so if they go above and beyond it is nice to give at least a little something extra. I view the auto-tip as the minimum [similar to the 18-20% you would give as standard in a restaurant for decent service]. If service was better than expected, a little more is warranted...it goes a long way for some of these people, especially in their home countries. Even just 10 bucks can go a lot farther in a place like Indonesia or the Philippines than it does in the U.S.

Porters $2.00 per bag (or $5 for two - just rounding it up). I actually missed the opportunity in Charleston - kind of confused who the porter was - as they took it from the car not at the ship when we parked (duh). I'll get it right this time.

This is always a tricky one. Porters are not tipped people, and they do not work for the cruise line. They are most likely union longshoreman, who make a ton of money, but like working the cruise ship docks, because it is free money for them. So many people say, your luggage will get lost? really? They will risk their 60K a year job for a $2 tip. Tip if you want, but it is not required, or necessary.

Good to know. I believe I ended up tipping when they unloaded our cases from the truck where they take them to parking garage - but then I didn't want to. They were rather surly and rude. So that's probably when I should have withheld - LOL!

I appreciate so much all of the tips and advice. Thanks for sharing your experience and now I have a plan of action. I believe that I will pre pay all of our tips so it is done with and I wont have to worry about it. But, I do plan to budget for extra tips if I feel it is warranted. The Thank You cards are a great idea! Thanks everyone.

Good to know. I believe I ended up tipping when they unloaded our cases from the truck where they take them to parking garage - but then I didn't want to. They were rather surly and rude. So that's probably when I should have withheld - LOL!

Porters are indeed tipped employees and cab drivers also. You never not tip someone because they may or may not have a separate job. Carnival under FAQ recommends tipping porters a minimum of $1.00 per bag. Emily Post aka Ms. Manners states that you should tip anyone who handles your luggage in your presence.

Okay. Can someone explain to me how auto tipping works? Is it "money" I place on my sign and sail card that goes against my personal card? And, we dont use credit cards. We only use debit cards but I have read that those arent a good idea. Why is that?

I don't think you've gotten a good response to your answer about why not to use debit cards. The reason is that the U.S. government has not put the same loss restrictions on debit cards as they have credit cards. So if someone gets your credit card information and goes on a buying spree, your loss is limited by law to $50.00 (and the card issuer might waive that). On the other hand, if someone gets access to your debit card, they can clean out your bank account and you might be liable for it all depending on notification dates. The following link has some good info on these laws.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/unauthorized-credit-debit-card-charges-29654.html

Personally, I never use a debit card for purchases and I sparingly use it at ATMs. To me, a credit card is the safest way to handle money and since I pay off the balance each month, it costs me nothing.

Porters are indeed tipped employees and cab drivers also. You never not tip someone because they may or may not have a separate job. Carnival under FAQ recommends tipping porters a minimum of $1.00 per bag. Emily Post aka Ms. Manners states that you should tip anyone who handles your luggage in your presence.

Alittle off topic but heres a funny story

One cruise the port was really crazy and I saw a man that looked important and asked how do I get out of here fast.He called over a porter and said this is how,as I was walking away he handed me his card and he is/was a trustee for local 1416 longshoremans union in Miami.They are union and make great money but that $20 bill got us past a mess in 5 minutes

I wonder about the actual amount to tip over the auto-gratuities too, so I don't know if this will help, but I budget as follows, based on my research here, and think of this as above-and-beyond tipping:

(and please folks if you tip more, just say so - don't flame me!! I'm new at this and not made of money, but I want to show appreciation for those that made my trip special and thought this sounded fair because most people here just say they tip and not the amount and it's a valid question imho)

I just don't know how to do it graciously. Obviously daddy didn't teach me this trick growing up!

It sounds to me like you are right on target in all areas. And, the fact that you care makes all the diference in the world. If you can't afford anything else (you, me, or whomever) pay them in respect and appreciation. Has anyone ever figured out when stewards actually sleep? These folks work horrendous hours.

IF I had the same wait staff, I would give a little extra at the end but, like you, with anytime dining - nope, not me either. If I had no set 'hangout' - I wouldn't tip a waiter/bartender extra either. The last time aboard (14 days) we spent every non-port morning at the aft pool - but the waiters were never the same ones, so nothing there. I have been on Carnival ships where the waiters in the pool area were always the same guys, I would pick out one that seemed friendly and energetic and that's when I tipped 'ahead' of time - and again at the end of the cruise - not an exhorbitant amount just an "I appreciate you' token. I mean, have you heard the way some cruisers talk to the staff? No wonder they get home and whine about their lousy service! Who wants to wait on somebody who treats you like dirt?

And, guess what, funny you should mention your dad because it was my Daddy who taught me to pre-tip on a cruise we took together in 2002. He didn't think it hurt to let the staff know up-front that he would take care of them at the end. As for the room stewards, well, I ask the most of them and want them to know that they won't be dunned. As for how, well, I just call my steward into my cabin on the very first day and introduce myself and express my pleasure at being in their area. I tell them that I like my ice bucket always filled and that I may need more than one beach towel per day -- nothing more. Then I hand him/her $20 (for a 7 day) or whatever according to the length of the cruise, and thank him for being my steward. Last cruise the young man said, "But, Madam, I haven't done anything for you yet!" I just looked at him and said "But, you will." And, he did. Probably nothing more than he did for anyone else - but perhaps a little quicker. And, I had ice and towels without ever saying another word. I gave him another tip at the end plus what the ship recommended. Again, most of us aren't rich or we'd be on Seaborne. Just do what you feel you can and be pleasant and appreciative.

Like you I tip $2 for room service (I love having them be my alarm clock with coffee in a carafe - better than dining room - and fruit and Danish), I tip $1 per bag to porters, I tip excursions 1/2 day $2 and whole day (or exceptional) $5. I do not tip the headwaiter unless I am done a BIG favor - like the exact table I wanted for my party of ten on the Glory year ago, or find him/her especially gracious and attentive (on Celebrity, not Carnival, I had that occasion).

It sounds to me like you are right on target in all areas. And, the fact that you care makes all the diference in the world. If you can't afford anything else (you, me, or whomever) pay them in respect and appreciation. Has anyone ever figured out when stewards actually sleep? These folks work horrendous hours.

IF I had the same wait staff, I would give a little extra at the end but, like you, with anytime dining - nope, not me either. If I had no set 'hangout' - I wouldn't tip a waiter/bartender extra either. The last time aboard (14 days) we spent every non-port morning at the aft pool - but the waiters were never the same ones, so nothing there. I have been on Carnival ships where the waiters in the pool area were always the same guys, I would pick out one that seemed friendly and energetic and that's when I tipped 'ahead' of time - and again at the end of the cruise - not an exhorbitant amount just an "I appreciate you' token. I mean, have you heard the way some cruisers talk to the staff? No wonder they get home and whine about their lousy service! Who wants to wait on somebody who treats you like dirt?

And, guess what, funny you should mention your dad because it was my Daddy who taught me to pre-tip on a cruise we took together in 2002. He didn't think it hurt to let the staff know up-front that he would take care of them at the end. As for the room stewards, well, I ask the most of them and want them to know that they won't be dunned. As for how, well, I just call my steward into my cabin on the very first day and introduce myself and express my pleasure at being in their area. I tell them that I like my ice bucket always filled and that I may need more than one beach towel per day -- nothing more. Then I hand him/her $20 (for a 7 day) or whatever according to the length of the cruise, and thank him for being my steward. Last cruise the young man said, "But, Madam, I haven't done anything for you yet!" I just looked at him and said "But, you will." And, he did. Probably nothing more than he did for anyone else - but perhaps a little quicker. And, I had ice and towels without ever saying another word. I gave him another tip at the end plus what the ship recommended. Again, most of us aren't rich or we'd be on Seaborne. Just do what you feel you can and be pleasant and appreciative.

Like you I tip $2 for room service (I love having them be my alarm clock with coffee in a carafe - better than dining room - and fruit and Danish), I tip $1 per bag to porters, I tip excursions 1/2 day $2 and whole day (or exceptional) $5. I do not tip the headwaiter unless I am done a BIG favor - like the exact table I wanted for my party of ten on the Glory year ago, or find him/her especially gracious and attentive (on Celebrity, not Carnival, I had that occasion).

I normally dont comment much anymore on tipping threads because I have worked for tips my whole life and you can never change CHEAP.With that being said alot of the people who comment about tipping does not care when their room steward sleeps or how their wait staff not only works the dining room but also other venues as well like the lido buffet area.Alot of selfish people in the world!! What alot of people do see is that if they remove the auto grats this will get them more drinks of the day or a few pictures at the expense of hard working staff that is away from their family for months at a time making our vacation wonderful.Most people just dont care .Its sad that their arent more people like us ;)

I use my debit card every cruise-18-and have never had a problem. the grat. will just be added to your sail and sign account. Or, you can prepay before you go which we have started doing.

Pat

"anyone who handles your luggage in your presence"? Out of curiosity under this premise ,I'm just wondering how much you tip TSA at the airport when they handle your bags or the the person who checks your bag at the airport?:confused:

Never, ever use a debit card for this. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

I always pre-pay the gratuities because this way I don't have to keep remembering to account for them! I use a cash account so no holds are put on my bank card (and I spend less than I would if I used a credit card:o). I put about $300 into my account the first day and keep track from there. Usually, when they slip the itemized invoice under the door in the sad wee hours of the last morning, there's a check attached for the remainder of the account. I, too, take a package of thank you notes to use for the cash when I tip above for the ones who do something special (or who just touch your heart!). One note, I frequently tip our cabin steward throughout the week - make sure you write their name on a paper with the cash...otherwise, they won't touch it!

Why would anyone tip for self serve ice cream or gettinng their own drinks? I his defence, I dont see how a ice cream machine filler dude is a tippable position lol

Because, do you think those things magically fill themselves and clean themselves.

We ALWAYS USE our Bank Debit/Check cards & have NEVER had a problem. (We do NOT Use Credit Cards.)

The only reason I can think of that others claim to have problems using debit cards is....

The cruise line will put a "hold" on the card & they only have (1) card/bank account. (We have more than 1 bank account, so therefore the "hold" does NOT affect us.)

The cruiseline does not put holds on debit cards. Your bank does and each bank has different policies for doing so.

For our S&S, we use a card normally reserved for emergencies and just make sure there is enough money on it to cover all S&S expenses, because we don't want to worry about holds on the debit cards we use daily.

On our last cruise we let them take the gratuities off of our S&S card during the cruise, but this time we plan on pre-paying the gratuitities so that's one less thing to worry about.

I have a question. I've prepaid my tips, but let's say I want to tip extra for great waitstaff and my room steward, how much do you think is a good "extra" tip? And do you tip a little of it every day, such as at dinner? The last night at dinner or the end of the cruise?

Keep in mind I'm not made of money, but I do realize I'm luckier to have a job that pays decent and can afford a little extra tipping.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

We tipped our room steward $20 extra at the end for a six day cruise last time and tipped an extra dollar for every drink we ordered as well. We left auto tips on for all.

I really felt for those assigned to some of our cruisemates, as I believe 2 out of 3 of the other cabins removed their tips. Unfortunately we sat at a table with them in the MDR and the last night of service was horrible ... but the wait staff probably didn't know which of us left our tips on and which didn't so we all suffered.

We tipped our room steward $20 extra at the end for a six day cruise last time and tipped an extra dollar for every drink we ordered as well. We left auto tips on for all.

I really felt for those assigned to some of our cruisemates, as I believe 2 out of 3 of the other cabins removed their tips. Unfortunately we sat at a table with them in the MDR and the last night of service was horrible ... but the wait staff probably didn't know which of us left our tips on and which didn't so we all suffered.

I do believe that IF you (not you specifically) were going to remove the tips, and you were going to go to MDR on the last night, you should have waited until AFTER dinner to remove the tips. This is why the guest services line is usually so long on the last evening. I've seen the line on every cruise we've been on. I know that's what the people are probably doing.

Would you give great service for 1/3 or 50% of your paycheck that you expect to get next week and do not get and actually know why and who !!

I don't think you've gotten a good response to your answer about why not to use debit cards. The reason is that the U.S. government has not put the same loss restrictions on debit cards as they have credit cards. So if someone gets your credit card information and goes on a buying spree, your loss is limited by law to $50.00 (and the card issuer might waive that). On the other hand, if someone gets access to your debit card, they can clean out your bank account and you might be liable for it all depending on notification dates. The following link has some good info on these laws.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/unauthorized-credit-debit-card-charges-29654.html

Personally, I never use a debit card for purchases and I sparingly use it at ATMs. To me, a credit card is the safest way to handle money and since I pay off the balance each month, it costs me nothing.

According to the VISA Website.... Your DEBIT/Check card IS COVERED.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/debit/

Archived