Pride of America's godmother announced

niya305

A few postings on this thread express varying degrees of 'concern' (for want of a better word) regarding the selection of a high government official to serve as Pride of America's godmother. Generally speaking, cruise lines, including NCL, have selected women who are free of political baggage.

As examples, some recent godmothers were:

Norwegian Sun -- Brooke Burke (from "Wild on E!")

Norwegian Star -- Angela Baraquio (Miss America 2001)

Norwegian Dawn -- Kim Cattrall ("Sex and the City")

Carnival Valor -- Katie Couric (NBC's "The Today Show")

Caribbean Princess -- Jill Whelan ("Love Boat" series)

R.C. Navigator of the Seas -- Steffi Graf (tennis star)

A few postings on this thread express varying degrees of 'concern' (for want of a better word) regarding the selection of a high government official to serve as Pride of America's godmother. Generally speaking, cruise lines, including NCL, have selected women who are free of political baggage.

As examples, some recent godmothers were:

Norwegian Sun -- Brooke Burke (from "Wild on E!")

Norwegian Star -- Angela Baraquio (Miss America 2001)

Norwegian Dawn -- Kim Cattrall ("Sex and the City")

Carnival Valor -- Katie Couric (NBC's "The Today Show")

Caribbean Princess -- Jill Whelan ("Love Boat" series)

R.C. Navigator of the Seas -- Steffi Graf (tennis star)

I don't think there's anyone out there (man or woman) that doesn't have "political baggage" to those that have opposing views. Even one of the examples you listed, Katie Kouric (Valor's godmother), was controversial in some circles due to her perceived liberal bias in her role as a journalist. I'm glad that didn't keep her from being chosen as Valor's godmother, and I hope Elaine Chaos' political philosophy is not used by those with opposing views to discredit her accomplishments or her selection as godmother. We're not always going to agree with every selection made and sometimes we may even strongly dislike the person chosen, but we need to respect the cruiseline's privilige to name the person it sees as most appropriate for the role of godmother. Short of the cruiseline's naming of a convicted criminal or psychopath as the godmother I would not let the selection influence my decision on sailing that ship or not. After the naming ceremony we'll probably never hear about the godmother in any NCL brochure or press release.

This selection is a perfect fit. The labor department is all about jobs and workplace safety and unemployment:

NCL-Thousands of US jobs.

A boost in US Maritime jobs

A return of an industry that was thought to be lost-US large ocean going passenger vessels.

She has a backgound with The Maritime Administration, Department of Transportation.

The first new US Flagged ocean going passenger vessel in 50 years.

Her selection as Godmother actualy makes sense.

Archived